: Voice only iPhone plans

Adrian.
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I don't really want data. I want a phone and an iPod in one. Don't judge. I'm sure there are others as weird as I am.

So I was looking through the fido and rogers pages and they try to hook you immediately up for the 65 plus bundles. I don't really want that.

What is the scoop? Has anyone gotten an iPhone a more reasonable plan. Could someone suggest a plan?

Especially student plans would be cool. I am still technically a student :) .

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
You started an iPhone thread in Anything Mac today, and now posted this thread in Everything Else.

Adrian.
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
what can I say....an off day perhaps...

move it if you like.

SINC
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Consider yourself whipped with a wet noodle by the class ad mod who strayed out of his area of authority. ;)

nick24
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
1st gen iPhone may be what you're looking for, unless you want GPS.

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Kudos! Another fascinating and memorable post showing the class of an elder statesman.

Consider yourself whipped with a wet noodle by the class ad mod who strayed out of his area of authority. ;)

SINC
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Kudos! Another fascinating and memorable post showing the class of an elder statesman.

I at least, know how not to act like a mod when I ain't one. ;)

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Are you seriously making a big deal out of pointing out that there's an iPhone subforum here? After all the complaints that the rest of the forum was overrun with such posts, and that even that subforum was? Or is some old grudge again? You don't often play the old codger routine for anyone but me; not too often, at least. It's not pretty.

I at least, know how not to act like a mod when I ain't one. ;)

Vexel
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:30 PM
HowEver is a Mod. And, he's certainly welcome to point out that this thread was in the wrong spot to the OP. Just as anyone else is.

Either way, thread moved. :)

xPyro
Aug 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Ok well, I bought an iPhone 2 weeks ago and I am paying about $45ish a month (Fido to Fido Plus with Caller ID). You can get a phone without a data plan, but the only thing is the price goes up by like $50 I think.

But yeah, if you get it without the data plan, just make sure you get them to block data access, and turn off the 3g within in the iPhone services. You'll still be able to use WiFi I believe, but you're going to have to find a network to connect to first.

cap10subtext
Aug 29th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Yes, you can get the voice only plan but you have to:
a) find a rogers person who will sell it to you because the forum is filled with people who report that sales reps won't do it.
b) know that the iPhone may cost 249, instead of 199 because of a deal Rogers has with apple that the voice plan you subscribe to must be $30 or more per month and you must have a data plan. I have the $25 voice plan and the extra $45 in data additions and it still cost me $249.
c) tick the box on the waiver that says you will pay any incurred data fees if you don't have a data plan.
d) disable Edge and 3G through a Rogers service rep. If you don't trust the rep completely here is also an APN that someone has customized which allows you to disable all data transfer from your iPhone. e-mail the .mobileconfig file to yourself (follow the directions on the site about what happens if it appends .txt)

iPhone 2.0 How To: turn off Mobile data (3G EDGE and GPRS) - Philippine Macintosh Users Group (http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=38722)

It seems to work, I help my friend set it up the other day. You may still get dinged here and there for Data if you don't go through Rogers though. Time will tell how securely the voice only people have guarded against all data transfer.

Best of Luck. I know many people who are trying to or want to do the same.