: Confirmed: Our iPhone data usage is low. New plans coming.

adagio
Aug 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM
New data plans coming Oct 1st (http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080828.wrogers28/BNStory/Business/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080828.wrogers28)

Rogers has extended the 6GB for $30 offer for one more month. After that it will be $25 for 500 MB, $30 for 1GB, $50 for 2GB, $60 for 3GB and $80 for 8GB.

"All data plans after Oct. 1 will be unlimited for the first three months, giving customers a sense of how much data they are using. Plans can be upgraded or reduced without penalty. Customers will receive a text message alerting them when they are nearing the maximum and when they have surpassed it. And data charges will be capped at $100 a month, regardless of usage, giving "the ultimate cost certainty," Ms. Hamilton said."

EDIT: Typo fixed to 500 MB. :D

Adrian.
Aug 28th, 2008, 04:15 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous. 60 dollar for 3 gb. They are doubling the price and cutting the data in half. If this was industry the supplier would be dead in the water if they tried to pull this.

So glad I have absolutely no interest in data plans. I really feel for the rest of you.

twolf3232
Aug 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
New data plans coming Oct 1st (http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080828.wrogers28/BNStory/Business/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080828.wrogers28)

Rogers has extended the 6GB for $30 offer for one more month. After that it will be $25 for 500 GB, $30 for 1GB, $50 for 2GB, $60 for 3GB and $80 for 8GB.

"All data plans after Oct. 1 will be unlimited for the first three months, giving customers a sense of how much data they are using. Plans can be upgraded or reduced without penalty. Customers will receive a text message alerting them when they are nearing the maximum and when they have surpassed it. And data charges will be capped at $100 a month, regardless of usage, giving "the ultimate cost certainty," Ms. Hamilton said."

Well, knowing that the introductory rate is still there, that relieves the pressure of my decision for a few weeks. I was stressing about whether I needed to get one in the next couple of days, and then miss seeing what's happening to the iPod touch - What’s Next from Apple: New iPods Sept 22, iPhone OS 2.1, iTunes 8.0 — RoughlyDrafted Magazine (http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/08/24/whats-next-from-apple-new-ipods-sept-22-iphone-os-21-itunes-80/)

You know what would be smart? If you signed up for the $25 plan, went to 750 MB in a month, rather than paying overage charges, get bumped up to the $30 plan. That would show some good will on their part

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Based on what people are actually using...

I'm happy to have the $30/6GB. No doubt Rogers will have other "promotions" in the future. The good thing is that no matter what they "promote" I get to keep it grandparented forever. Last year I changed my 10 year old voice plan for something better. The 'new' plan is now discontinued, but I'll never have to change it.

That is absolutely ridiculous. 60 dollar for 3 gb. They are doubling the price and cutting the data in half. If this was industry the supplier would be dead in the water if they tried to pull this.

So glad I have absolutely no interest in data plans. I really feel for the rest of you.

satchmo
Aug 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Wow, I didn't see this coming.

While the new data plans aren't the greatest, it seems fair...given the $30/6gb offer is still on the table. Now no one can complain that they didn't have time to decide.

Still, I would have liked an option where a data plan started at $10. :D

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Even better for some might be the $100 maximum for overages.

Still the current $30/300MB plan, which appears to be continuing, is the best bet for those who are NOT ON CONTRACT, since unlike the $30/6GB plan, and presumably the new ones just announced, it is cancellable at any time and with NO DECF (data early cancellation fee).

satchmo
Aug 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Still the current $30/300MB plan, which appears to be continuing, is the best bet for those who are NOT ON CONTRACT, since unlike the $30/6GB plan, and presumably the new ones just announced, it is cancellable at any time and with NO DECF (data early cancellation fee).

Where is this $30/300mb plan you speak of?

JustAMacUser
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
The one nice thing is that Rogers states they are capping the overage charges to $100/month. That's actually kind of a nice gesture on their part.

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
It's a telephone call away. You won't find it on the Rogers site.

Where is this $30/300mb plan you speak of?

Ace McDuck
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Apparently the Rogers CSRs haven't been told about the extension yet. I just wrapped up my month-long back & forth on my plan & the CSR didn't want me to leave it past the 31st because their "system" still has the $30/6GB ending this month.

cap10subtext
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Rogers has extended the 6GB for $30 offer for one more month. After that it will be $25 for 500 GB, $30 for 1GB, $50 for 2GB, $60 for 3GB and $80 for 8GB.

Not to pick at a typo, but just to avoid confusion, $25 for 500 MB, I'm guessing.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
After that it will be $25 for 500 GB

"Turn off sarcasm detector"...$25 for a half terrabyte of data?!!! WooHoo! That is awesome!!! :D I'm guessing it was t be Mb. I figured Rogers would change their data plans, good on them. I wonder if in the next 6 months they will drop slightly yet again.

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
This is always the case. The customer service rep. is at work. A press release takes place. They aren't told about it right away, in fact, it might not even make it into the system for days. Companies announce promotions like this in order to retain/obtain customers but often the announcements are way ahead of their staff. The same thing happened with the $30/6GB plan.

Apparently the Rogers CSRs haven't been told about the extension yet. I just wrapped up my month-long back & forth on my plan & the CSR didn't want me to leave it past the 31st because their "system" still has the $30/6GB ending this month.

adagio
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Not to pick at a typo, but just to avoid confusion, $25 for 500 MB, I'm guessing.
Fixed. Thanks!!

The Shadow
Aug 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Those prices make the $30/6GB plan look like a good value.

adagio
Aug 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Actually, the current data plan is VERY good value and comparable to what you get with AT&T. Where our wireless providers REALLY suck is our voice plans. They are terrible!!

Crewser
Aug 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM

On CFTO news tonight during the business report,they said Rogers has claimed iPhone users are not coming any where near the 6GB limit. The average was around 600 MB, and only one user has exceeded the 6 GB limit.

Adrian.
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
On CFTO news tonight during the business report,they said Rogers has claimed iPhone users are not coming any where near the 6GB limit. The average was around 600 MB, and only one user has exceeded the 6 GB limit.

Well than make it 30 dollars for 4 gbs. Not 60 dollars for 3 gbs. I cannot see how they can do that. I really cannot.

I think I might go and pick up my iPhone with only a voice plan I suppose.

zc11
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Actually, the current data plan is VERY good value and comparable to what you get with AT&T. Where our wireless providers REALLY suck is our voice plans. They are terrible!!

Agreed.

okcomputer
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Any clue if people who have the $30/6gb plan can sign up for one of the new ones without any penalty? I doubt it...

I will stick with the 6gb. Even though I only used 500mb the first month, and even though I have wifi at home and work, you never know how things will change in three years, and it's nice to be future-proofed, especially since Halifax has great 3G coverage already.

zc11
Aug 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Any clue if people who have the $30/6gb plan can sign up for one of the new ones without any penalty? I doubt it...

Why would anyone want to do so? The change would only save you $5 per month and would give you a limit of 500 MB instead of 6 GB. For only $60 more per year you get a 12X greater data transfer limit. I can't even fill up my car for $60.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 29th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I have an awesome voice plan but that is only because I got the crap kicked out of me for 6 months on my plan. When your bills are ridiculously high they give u certain things, like 1000 long distance minutes for $5. Through pain will come pleasure I suppose...

cap10subtext
Aug 29th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Why would anyone want to do so? The change would only save you $5 per month and would give you a limit of 500 MB instead of 6 GB. For only $60 more per year you get a 12X greater data transfer limit. I can't even fill up my car for $60.

Yep, well put. And as tough as it might be to EVER hit 6GB I'm sure I'd go over 500MB regularly.