: Last week for 6gb/$30 data plan deal

satchmo
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Despite rumours that Rogers will extend this, I think they'll revisit another offering a few months down the road. Perhaps 2gb and 4gb plans.

You would think they'd do something in light of the competition and the commitment of $150 million worth of iPhones.

That said, I'm rather tempted to jump aboard the 3g plane. I don't need constant internet access, rather it would be nice. Plus I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself if a really great GPS/location based app comes along.

Anyone else thinking twice about getting a data plan? :)

MomentsofSanity
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Jumped on it first day and glad I did. With the apps being released I am now blowing through my data with programs like Last.fm and SimplifyMedia to the tune of 60-70MB a day. Still not enough to use up the 6GB but finally starting to make a dent in it!

Details
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I have the $30 plan, and I'd say it's well worth it. I like the fact that I don't even have to think about whether or not I'm in a Wifi zone. I bought the phone on launch day, and I've been using it extensively ever since.

If you can afford the $30/month, then I'd say go for it... I don't think you'll regret it. But if you can't afford it right now, don't tempt yourself; because once you have it, it will be difficult to go back!

Vexel
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Get the $30 deal. It's more than worth it.

kloan
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I love not having to worry about it...

I don't even bother using wifi anymore, unless I'm somewhere that doesn't have 3G coverage, but does have an open wifi... but that hasn't happened yet.

AgentXXL
Aug 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM
+1 for all of the replies... got the 6GB plan on day 1 and have no regrets nor do I ever have to worry about excessive data charges (assuming I only use data in Canada). I do wish Rogers had worked a little harder to get us competitive data rates for use in the US and/or Mexico. Yes, I said Mexico.. I travel there often enough and would love to take full advantage of my iPhone while there.

LordofX
Aug 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
well i finally bought my iphone yesterday and im really happy i got the 6gb plan, like everyone above me has said, its not so much that you need it to use the iphone, but it definitively maximizes the experience you have with it. more and more apps come out everyday and they're getting more and more data heavy, having a large data plan makes the iphone what it's supposed to be.

scandy
Aug 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I was just about to start a thread on this one myself, but I'll jump in here.

Has there been any word on what Rogers is going to do after the $30 plan dies? I saw the suggestion of 2gb and 4gb plans, but anything concrete? Or are we back to pure speculation?

Phat Bastard
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I would like to echo what everyone else has said too...get the 6 GB deal, you'll never have to worry about your data usage. I've had the plan for a week, using data applications pretty regularly and I've only used about 100 MB. 6 GB is essentially unlimited.

satchmo
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Has there been any word on what Rogers is going to do after the $30 plan dies? I saw the suggestion of 2gb and 4gb plans, but anything concrete? Or are we back to pure speculation?

Purely speculation...and some interesting comments here (http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419269), on why we won't see a lowered tiered data plan.

Essentially with the $30/300mb data plan still in place, it negates the chance of something like a $15/2gb plan.

miniphone
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
It's virtually unlimited data for the iphone. Same here, I don't use wi-fi any more.The most monthly data usage I had so far is 600M. I have to rev up YouTube to crack up the 1G mark.

milhaus
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Can't you just switch to the lower price/GB tier when it's announced? Or will they put in a $50 downgrade charge?

The Shadow
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I picked up the plan BEFORE I got my iPhone. I was using the plan with a Palm Centro. I found the plan to be great. I was using Google Maps, the web, and email. My business email inbox is huge so having the plan without having to worry about overages is great. Now that I have the iPhone, no question, the plan is a great value.

I'm surprised at the amount of bellyaching going with iPhone users and data blocking and APN changing and ABC. I have a feeling a lot of people may wish they took the offer while it was available.

JSvo
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm surprised at the amount of bellyaching going with iPhone users and data blocking and APN changing and ABC. I have a feeling a lot of people may wish they took the offer while it was available.

I'm surprised that people like you are surprised that someone may not want to fork over $30 x 36 months = $1080 + taxes to Rogers for a data plan that they may not need. Some people are more than happy to use WiFi only... is that really surprising? Some people live and work in areas with great WiFi coverage.

I think if people were confident in Rogers' promises and service, then there wouldn't be so much bellyaching. For example, generally speaking, if a service rep from my internet provider says they're turning something on or off on my account, I can count on it actually happening. And mistakes don't get me $thousands in charges. Being mistakenly billed for huge amounts of money can bring quite a cloud of stress or fear into someone's life until it's cleared up, so I'm sure a lot of the posts here reflect that reality.

As for me, I don't have an iPhone yet, but if I do get one, I likely would go for the data plan if it's still available. I like being in a position of not worrying about my data usage!

DukeMazer
Aug 27th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I have a gen1 phone and I can say, you don't "need" the data plan, but it sure is nice. I live downtown and don't be fooled wifi is not free everywhere! I had wifi and it was nice, but there were many situation where I needed something more. I was in the middle of nowhere don't have a GPS in the car and I just needed to know where I was. I was driving from my mom's place, but fianciee asks what movie is playing and when, now I'm on the DVP there's no WIFI there! It comes in handy. Like I said you don't "need it", but if you can afford it, get it!

gmark2000
Aug 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Not all WiFi is free. People do close their networks for security reasons.