: MP3's ... Burning Tunes

mgmitchell
Aug 25th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, so I burn some iTunes purchases on to a CD, and I get about 17-18 songs on it, everything's just fine. My pal scoffs at that, saying he burns 60-65 songs in MP3 format on a CD. What am I doing wrong? How can you get that many songs on a CD? Is that for storing or can you actually play 60 songs from a CD?
Thanks,
M.

machael
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
it's the difference between burning an audio cd and a data/mp3 cd.

Malco
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Does the CD player you will be playing this CD on play MP3s, in other words does it have a MP3 decoder?

If yes, are you using itunes to burn the CD?

If yes, go to the Advanced window in iTunes prefs and click on the Burning tab. In the Disc Format section there are three choices, Audio CD (makes a real CD like a store bought one)
MP3 CD (makes a disc with ONLY MP3s and needs decoding by the player)
Data CDs can contain files other than just MP3

So, you can burn purchased iTunes Store music (in their unaltered state) to Audio or Data disc not to a MP3 CD.

mgmitchell
Aug 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Colleagues, thanks. How would I know if the CD player has a decoder? I was thinking about playing them in the car, for example, or a Walkman (please, no laughing ... I still have one).
I did store my purchases on two DVD-R's ... was told I could save them there; I got about 65 each of them. Weird. Haven't tried to play them.

Oh, is it true that iTunes can't charge me for iTunesPlus anymore? I thought I read somewhere that it's no longer a cost to upgrade from DRM or something. I did get hit a while ago for 2 songs ... like 40. Silly.

..........?
Aug 26th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I think you friend is burning a mp3 cd. Some cd player and walkman or cd player on a car can play mp3 cd. The only way to know if your cd player can play mp3 cd is check user manual.

EvanPitts
Aug 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Your friend hasn't burned an Audio CD. An Audio CD contains uncompressed tracks (AIFF files), and can not have more than 49 tracks (many players can handle up to 99 tracks though), and no more than 700MB of actual data. However, an Audio CD will yield the best compatibility with CD players, as well as yielding the best audio quality.

Burning MP3s to a disk yield a data CD that is comprised of compressed (probably lossy compression) of much lower audio quality, but in return, you can cram a lot more tracks onto a disk. But only some CD players can handle MP3 disks, and normally, this will be indicated on the front of the player, if it is capable. You may also need to refer to the manual. For the most part, car audio systems will not play MP3 disks unless it was a special DSO option, or it is a fairly new car.

So it comes down to what player you will use the disk on, and whether you want high quality audio or can accept something of much less quality. Of course, iTunes can deal with both scenarios rather easily!

mgmitchell
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
EvanPitts, excellent information. Thanks. I'll just play my "Touch" with the plug-in when I need to, or play the regular CD's I've burned for the purchases. I think I burned the big lot on to the DVD to store in case I lost them on iTunes.
Also, I think I found the answer to my own question about DRM and iTunesPlus. It appears it's a moot point now, iTunes doesn't charge extra anymore for non-DRM songs. I wonder if Amazon Canada is going to enter the fray and offer their tunes at 89? I'd be an interested customer; 10 is 10.