: Activating second hand iPhone 3G with Rogers

zach24
Aug 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
So my friend who has an iPhone, for whatever reason, doesn't like it and is planning on selling it to me for a ridiculously low price, after he gets rogers to switch him back to his old blackberry.
Anyways, my question is: Will rogers activate it if i just take it to a rogers wireless location? I know they won't do it for the first gen. If that can't happen is it possible to buy sim card and hack the iPhone 3g?

HowEver
Aug 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Actually, you can get *any* GSM registered on Rogers (as long as it has 850/1900 Mhz bands), including the first generation iPhone.

For the iPhone 3G, no hack is necessary (unless it's a foreign iPhone 3G, which you can't unlock to work in Canada). You just need a Rogers SIM card. A store will charge you $40. Try redflagdeals.com 's b/s/t forum (they're an ehMac sponsor), to find one for 1/4 that price.

You also don't need a store to activate it for you (some will charge), you can do it yourself by calling Rogers.

If you want the benefits of a contract, take the discounted handset they'll sell you with it, and sell it or keep it as a backup. If you lose your phone, and you're on contract, they're not going to do this again for you.