: iPhone 3G with current Rogers SIM

mikebell
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'm heading to a conference in the US where the "special" swag is an iPhone 3G. Will I be able to pop in the SIM from my current Rogers phone and just start using it? What will be the limitations if so?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

CdnPhoto
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Nice Swag.

The iPhone will most likely be locked to AT&T. You will need to unlock it before you can use it with your Rogers card. Additionally, without signing up for a data plan on Rogers, your data rates will be through the roof.

I'd recommend bringing the iPhone back to Canada, getting the unlock (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/)and signing up for a data plan here.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Where can we get invitiations to this event or what conference is this (out or curiosity) I would like to do business with them...

CaptainCode
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
That would be strange that they're giving them away because they don't sell them unlocked in the USA and you are required to sign an AT&T contract.

Most likely it's going to be locked and there is no unlock for the 3G phones yet.

Ace McDuck
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm heading to a conference in the US where the "special" swag is an iPhone 3G. Will I be able to pop in the SIM from my current Rogers phone and just start using it? What will be the limitations if so?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Uhhh, where is this conference, and can I attend?? :D

I'm not sure if your phone will work with Rogers or Fido - it will probably be locked to AT&T, and I don't think the PWNAGE tool unlocks 3G phones yet. It would be a good idea to check before you bring it back - maybe sell it for enough to buy one in Canada.

mikebell
Aug 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ya, pretty sweet swag. The conference is JSFOne in Washington DC. I was wondering the same about it beeing locked. AT&T is not a sponsor but wonder if they'll be onsite making you sign up. Hopefully I can get it back to Canada and will just stick it on eBay if I have to.

Any word on the timing for unlocking capability from the dev team?

Mike

AgentXXL
Aug 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Special Swag: First 300 Paid Attendees receive choice of iPhone 3G or a $200 Amazon Gift CertificateHope you were one of the 1st 300 paid attendees... at a whopping $1650 US, although prior to Aug. 15th it may have been cheaper. Add that to flights, hotels and meals/entertainment and it's a pretty expensive way to get an iPhone.

mikebell
Aug 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
The iPhone is just a bonus but did made sure I was in the first 300. Did get early bird pricing and we have flight passes since we do most of our business in DC. Company paid anyway. :D Should be a good conference. And, they have:

"Develop compelling iPhone and other Mobile Web Applications in JSF"

:)

AgentXXL
Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
The iPhone is just a bonus but did made sure I was in the first 300. Did get early bird pricing and we have flight passes since we do most of our business in DC. Company paid anyway. :D Should be a good conference. And, they have:

"Develop compelling iPhone and other Mobile Web Applications in JSF"

:)Excellent... hope things work in your favor for the new iPhone and AT&T isn't onsite waiting for you to activate it. If so I suspect you're out of luck and will be 'forced' to take the $200 gift certificate. I went to a similar conference in San Diego a few years ago and one of the swag items was a Treo 700W, alas requiring immediate activation. As no Canadian activation was available and they didn't offer an alternate, I offered it up for sale to other American attendees and ended up getting $150 for it.

Oh, and pay attention in the iPhone class... there are some decent apps out there, but there's a LOT of duds too. :D