: Not syncing Properly

kgeorge78
Aug 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hello,

I'd like to sync my contacts. When I go to mobile me under system pref. I click on sync and nothing happens. I cannot click on what I want to sync on. It always unclicks after a certain amount of time.

Anyone else not able to do that? I was able to do it last month before the latest update.

mkolesa
Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:35 AM
the way you expect it, you can always try repairing permissions and then doing a re-boot...

kgeorge78
Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
how do u repair permissions again?

mkolesa
Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
applications > utilities > disk utility, then select the drive volume on the left and click repair disk permission below

hayesk
Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Repairing permissions is a red herring. Look in the console for actual errors.

kgeorge78
Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
no luck with this. Anyone else have this problem?

zlinger
Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
I had similar Mobile Me issues with both contacts and calendar. I spent hours on the phone and at the genius bar.

We never did get it too work, but in the end, I had to reset everything as it was related to the sync settings and records that were 'inconsistent'. It was good that I had a previous backup since in my case all my data was in the cloud but with no way to sync locally.

I would try resetting and overwriting from computer to mobile me. But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND before you do anything, backup your calendar and contacts first (i.e. Address Book -> File -> Export -> Address Book Archive).

kgeorge78
Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
I dont have any contacts stored on my computer at all. I put in all my contacts on me.com when i came over from Telus then I synced them to my phone. I want to store them on my computer locally but it doesnt seem like it wants to work for me. I've been having numorous problems lately so I think a format and fresh install may be required.

zlinger
Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
I had the exact same issue as you, but with hundreds of contacts and calendar entries stuck in the cloud. I complained to Apple that there was no way to export contacts from Mobile Me, or even a force sync from to local computer.

Reinstalling might work, but may not not work. I would get in touch with Apple so see if they have a work around (i.e. they have a chat support for MM). If you are okay to rebuild your contacts, you can reset by overwriting from Address Book, etc. to Mobile Me and then the sync should work between Mac, iPhone, and Mobile Me.

The Shadow
Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Try these instructions.

https://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/68811-iphone-not-syncing-calendar-events.html

wilecoyote
Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hello,

I'd like to sync my contacts. When I go to mobile me under system pref. I click on sync and nothing happens. I cannot click on what I want to sync on. It always unclicks after a certain amount of time.

Anyone else not able to do that? I was able to do it last month before the latest update.

I had *exactly* the same problem you are describing last night setting up my son's computer. I'd check the sync box, but nothing would "un-grey" in the list below. Then the box I checked would magically uncheck. I'm not at a mac right now to get the exact phrasing, but basically I logged out of mobileme, and then set up the account from there. After that, everything worked. I suspected that maybe the cause of the problem was telling the computer about the .mac account during setup, rather than in the mobileme preferences.

kgeorge78
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
I had *exactly* the same problem you are describing last night setting up my son's computer. I'd check the sync box, but nothing would "un-grey" in the list below. Then the box I checked would magically uncheck. I'm not at a mac right now to get the exact phrasing, but basically I logged out of mobileme, and then set up the account from there. After that, everything worked. I suspected that maybe the cause of the problem was telling the computer about the .mac account during setup, rather than in the mobileme preferences.

thanks. That is my exact problem. I'm doing a reinstall right now (Mac is painless to format and reinstall, my windows days would take 5 hours)

I'll try to sinc again after that, I've already logged into me.com. If it doesnt work, ill log out like you said and try again.

Question: (suggestion)

There are too many places to "sync". You have to sync your phone with your .me account. Then sync your .me account with your computer. Then sycn your phone to itunes (Whats the point of this if you are syncing through .me anyways? ) And what the hell does the application sync do??

Vexel
Sep 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Syncing your phone through .me doesn't sync Applications, or downloads from the iTMS. Only syncing through iTunes does this.

iSync is for non apple devices, basically.

Also, you don't have to sync your phone with .me, it's just a perk. Your contacts and calendars and such will sync with .me instantly if it's set up to do so.. if not, it will sync when you attach your phone to iTunes.

googlefish
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Slightly different problem but I'm having issues syncing with Entourage 2008. Was working fine for a while, but it started acting up - Microsoft Sync & SyncServer (Apple?) would use up the the entire CPU and leave the fan running constantly on a MacBook and SyncServer would just hang after a while.

Googled it, but couldn't resolve with some of the solutions posted. There just seems to be a general concensus that there are issues with Syncing with Entourage 2008. I went back to Entourage 2004 and it seems to be working again. Anyone else with Entourage 2008 issues?

kgeorge78
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I reformatted and now it allows me to sync. Except when I try to sync my contacts, it says the data is inconsistant. What does this mean? Also, where can I find or edit my bookmarks stored under my mobile me cloud? I cannot find a spot to view them.

Thanks

chas_m
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I reformatted and now it allows me to sync. Except when I try to sync my contacts, it says the data is inconsistant. What does this mean?

What it says -- the data Apple has "in the cloud" is different from what you have on either your computer or your iPhone.

Simple enough to fix.

1. Go to the MobileMe panel in System Preferences, click Sync, and re-sync. If the problem is inconsistent data between the cloud and your computer, this will tell you that.

2. Now re-sync your iPhone. If you again get the message, go into iTunes, under the iPhone's preferences, force the iPhone to re-sync from your computer (this option appears at the very bottom of the Info tab under "Advanced." Then sync one more time, that will clear it up.

kgeorge78
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
still doesn't work. I go to sync then sync all data (What ever is checked) and I get the same error. Of course the data is not consistant, that's why I'm syncing. Also, it looks like nobody knows how to edit what bookmarks on in cloud.

kgeorge78
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Found a Solution.
I was at the apple store in Detroit (Troy, Summerset Mall - very Nice)

A nice fella helped me out. I exported my contacts from me.com to a card and stored that on my desktop.
Then I reset all my sync data from my computer to mobile me (Basically erasing all contacts from my phone and computer and cloud)

I did not receive an error so I figured I was good to go. Then I Imported my contacts from the File into my address book then sycned via system preferences. PERFECT!! Worked great!

I finally am able to sync my calender and contacts and bookmarks too. Great stuff, it finally works!!

I have a question for you mobile me users though. What is the point of using the address book and ical apps on the computer when the online versions are easier and more organized and no syncing is necessary. I especially find the contacts online much better than the address book application which looks and feels 10 years old.

Im finally happy with mobile me!