: 2.0.2 upgrade fried the iPhone

MomentsofSanity
Aug 20th, 2008, 03:49 AM
So the girlfriend was about to go to bed, decided I would remind her that there was a firmware update for the 3G available so she opted to plug the phone in and get that out of the way. I should have just let her go to bed!

During the install iTunes crashed. The phone, of course, was in recovery mode and wasn't doing a thing. Relaunched iTunes and tried again and it said the phone had to be restored. Of course it hung at Preparing to Restore and then gave an error of the iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. Unknown error (1604). Did a bit of research online... didn't like what I read.

Pooched! Called Rogers and they say phone has to be replaced. Of course their systems are down for the night so they can't do anything until tomorrow. *sigh*

Anyone else have any problems with the latest update?

whatiwant
Aug 20th, 2008, 08:01 AM
So the girlfriend was about to go to bed, decided I would remind her that there was a firmware update for the 3G available so she opted to plug the phone in and get that out of the way. I should have just let her go to bed!

During the install iTunes crashed. The phone, of course, was in recovery mode and wasn't doing a thing. Relaunched iTunes and tried again and it said the phone had to be restored. Of course it hung at Preparing to Restore and then gave an error of the iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. Unknown error (1604). Did a bit of research online... didn't like what I read.

Pooched! Called Rogers and they say phone has to be replaced. Of course their systems are down for the night so they can't do anything until tomorrow. *sigh*

Anyone else have any problems with the latest update?

I didn't have any problems with it. You might want to try restoring from DFU mode before you go replacing the unit. A little google goes a long way.

It could also be like this person's problem from the apple forums.
Apple - Support - Discussions - Help! Error 1604 ... (http://discussions.apple.com/click.jspa?searchID=-1&messageID=7883318)

I highly doubt that the phone is dead though. A little research and tooling around should have it fixed in no time.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM
iTunes for OS X or windows?

koreancabbage
Aug 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
did you have the iphone jailbroken??

MomentsofSanity
Aug 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Researched it and tooled around for about 5 hours. DFU, nothing. Reinstalling iTunes, nothing. Wiping out all of the logs and all existing upgrade/update files, nothing. I tried every variant of every work around I could find and nothing.

Wasn't jailbroken either. Just a stock off the shelf 8GB model. And this was on Windows Vista for the one who asked.

whatiwant
Aug 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Researched it and tooled around for about 5 hours. DFU, nothing. Reinstalling iTunes, nothing. Wiping out all of the logs and all existing upgrade/update files, nothing. I tried every variant of every work around I could find and nothing.

Wasn't jailbroken either. Just a stock off the shelf 8GB model. And this was on Windows Vista for the one who asked.

poop :(
might be easier to take it directly to the apple store? if there's one near you of course.

MomentsofSanity
Aug 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Wish I could take it in but we're in London and no way I am getting to Toronto any time soon...

MikeyMac
Aug 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Wish I could take it in but we're in London and no way I am getting to Toronto any time soon...

You could try bringing it to mac outpost, they might be able to help you out. THey are on wharncliffe between riverside and commissioners.

Mike

MomentsofSanity
Aug 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
You could try bringing it to mac outpost, they might be able to help you out. THey are on wharncliffe between riverside and commissioners.

Mike

Thanks for the head's up on Mac Outpost but I just got off the phone with Apple support and they are just going to send everything out to replace it. Was fun going through every step I went through last night again for them though!