: I want the iPhone for 199$ but I dont want to be on a contact :)

JoeyDee
Aug 16th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hey Folks.

Yes, I know I know - everyone else does want the same thing, but I thought i'd pop this topic up to get your 2 cents!

Here's the deal - I live & work in Dubai, however I'm from Ottawa - and basically - I want to get the new 3G iPhone (i currently have the 1.1.4) but the thing is I really don't feel like paying 600$ for the fone... so is there a way that I can get the phone on a contract and cancelled the contract and not get charged the penalty fee?

im going back to Canada for 2 weeks on August 25th... so its really pointless of me ot get the contract since I'm in Dubai :(

Any ideas how to go around the contract?
-Joey

kloan
Aug 16th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Nope.

On a totally unrelated subject, man that Scraper is HUGE!!!! I can't believe how frickin tall that thing is!! :D

JoeyDee
Aug 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Nope.

On a totally unrelated subject
Man - dubai is always on an unrelated subject! Don't believe the hype dud - Dubai is not a such an amazing place to be... cost of living is just insanely why and keeps going up and up like that crappy scrapper :)-

ps: I HATE ROGERS hahaha... bastards!

=Joey

MomentsofSanity
Aug 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Sad reality is it's a $600 phone and the only reason they will give it to you for $199 is so they can Roger you for an extended period of time. No getting around it.

kloan
Aug 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Craigslist is your only option (or RFD, Hofo, etc).. I've seen one go for $400.. but the average is $500-600.

JoeyDee
Aug 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Crap! Well - thanks fellas - thought I'd ask... cuz u know, sometimes - who knows some people know all kinds of shortcuts and tricks :)

Thanks fellas.
-Joey

ps: this is a really cool site ;)

nick24
Aug 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Is the iPhone available in Dubai? If it is, what's stopping you buying one there if you live and work in that crazy place? You won't get dinged for roaming other than when you return to Canada.

I ate at the Burj al Arab (spelling?) which was an experience!

JoeyDee
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Is the iPhone available in Dubai? If it is, what's stopping you buying one there if you live and work in that crazy place? You won't get dinged for roaming other than when you return to Canada.

Ah you might of brought a valid point!

I think I could cancel the contract with Rogers because I do live & work in Dubai and there isn't any coverage or "unlocked" option provided by Rogers in Dubai. Maybe I could get out of paying this penalty :)

Oh and Burj Al Arab is a freak resort for MONSTER FREAKS! Listen to this - I called the hotel last Thursday to book a dinner reservation for me and my gf, now GET THIS!

There is an entrance fee to get into the restaurant of 500 to 700dhs ( divide by 3.68 and thats' ur number in $ = 135 - 190$ as entrance fee, that's no food no nothing!) After she said that I just hung up the fone and started laughing how silly that was! Man - it's soo freaking expensive out here!

Anyhoo - sorry for the random note!
-Joey

uPhone
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Ah you might of brought a valid point!

I think I could cancel the contract with Rogers because I do live & work in Dubai and there isn't any coverage or "unlocked" option provided by Rogers in Dubai. Maybe I could get out of paying this penalty :)

Oh and Burj Al Arab is a freak resort for MONSTER FREAKS! Listen to this - I called the hotel last Thursday to book a dinner reservation for me and my gf, now GET THIS!

There is an entrance fee to get into the restaurant of 500 to 700dhs ( divide by 3.68 and thats' ur number in $ = 135 - 190$ as entrance fee, that's no food no nothing!) After she said that I just hung up the fone and started laughing how silly that was! Man - it's soo freaking expensive out here!

Anyhoo - sorry for the random note!
-Joey

My parents have been on the waiting list for a villa on The Palm Jebel Ali for a few years. We really wanted to be on the Palm Jumeirah but everything was completely sold out, and now people are flipping homes on the island that are worth $2M for 12M!

We're going to Atlantis the Palm in January and I'm very excited! I've been to the Atlantis Paradise Island in Bahamas twice and it's amazing, so this will be great!

Where do you work in Dubai? Have you met Robert Lee, the Canadian who is, I think, the vice president of Nakheel? :D

PS "Al Burj" is supposed to surpass Burj Dubai I believe, craaaaazy!

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3624/allch1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JoeyDee
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:24 AM
My parents have been on the waiting list for a villa on The Palm Jebel Ali for a few years. We really wanted to be on the Palm Jumeirah but everything was completely sold out, and now people are flipping homes on the island that are worth $2M for 12M!
I love how people sitting behind the tele see DUBAI as the 6th wonder (whatever that expressions is...)

You want the reality of things? The Palm is not sold out, to be quite honest it's deserted I have friends that live there who bought a penthouse for 2 000 000 AED (Dirhams - divide that by 3.68 for dollars) and the value is maybe doubled (maybe!). Moreover, the quality of the homes on the Palms, as a matter - all of the UAE is rubbish, walls crack after a few months due to the massive heat, just remember, cheap labor = cheap productivity = cheap product (that's dubai) the PR agencies just HYPE Dubai up :)-

In simple terms - don't believe the hype, the Atlantis is OK! Not that special, but be prepared to see your wallet shrink :) Anyhoo - I'll see you Jan cause I live right on the sea :)

I work for Gulf Film / Grand Cinemas (it's the largest Film Distribution & Cinemas in the Middle-East. We bring Hollywood into the Middle-East ;)

.Apologies for the randomness in regards to the topic!
-Joey

uPhone
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I love how people sitting behind the tele see DUBAI as the 6th wonder (whatever that expressions is...)

You want the reality of things? The Palm is not sold out, to be quite honest it's deserted I have friends that live there who bought a penthouse for 2 000 000 AED (Dirhams - divide that by 3.68 for dollars) and the value is maybe doubled (maybe!). Moreover, the quality of the homes on the Palms, as a matter - all of the UAE is rubbish, walls crack after a few months due to the massive heat, just remember, cheap labor = cheap productivity = cheap product (that's dubai) the PR agencies just HYPE Dubai up :)-

In simple terms - don't believe the hype, the Atlantis is OK! Not that special, but be prepared to see your wallet shrink :) Anyhoo - I'll see you Jan cause I live right on the sea :)

I work for Gulf Film / Grand Cinemas (it's the largest Film Distribution & Cinemas in the Middle-East. We bring Hollywood into the Middle-East ;)

.Apologies for the randomness in regards to the topic!
-Joey

:( You're probably right...

But maybe you would have a different opinion if you were a tourist as opposed to a resident.

I'm really surprised that you say the Palm Jumeirah is deserted! That's a little erie...

I guess this is a stupid question but do you think in Jan 2009 it will be very "constructiony" around and on the Palm Jumeirah? That would suck. Oh, and, are tourists staying on the Palm allowed to walk on the Fronds? It would be nice to look at all those houses but I think it's a gated community, no?

Also do you know if the water is warm enough to swim in in January?

Sorry to hijack your thread!! I'll make it on-topic: Rogers sucks!

JoeyDee
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM
In regards to Rogers - U SUCK! hahaha... I really don't want to pay them a penalty fee.

I guess this is a stupid question but do you think in Jan 2009 it will be very "constructiony" around and on the Palm Jumeirah?
In short & simple = YUP!

Dubai is all around very constructiony which becomes a major stress for residence here... Just a same example, everytime I go to work I take 1 designated 1 way route and I park my car on the side of the road where it's allowed... last week they changed the route making it the opposite direction (without any warnings or prior notice). Me of course not knowing what is going on I parked my car where I usually park it, I come out of work I get a fine for blocking the flow of traffic and parking in the opposite direction... And I can't fight the fine I just have to pay it.. :(

Back to the Palm, yes it will be construction for another 4 years minimum. On another note - alot of expatriates are leaving Dubai due to the raising cost of living (you pay for rent 1 year in advance either cash or cheque, isn't that nuts?) and the stress in this city. I got another year here and then i'm back home for a bit :) we'll see what's next for me :)

my best,
-Joey

uPhone
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
In regards to Rogers - U SUCK! hahaha... I really don't want to pay them a penalty fee.

In short & simple = YUP!

Dubai is all around very constructiony which becomes a major stress for residence here... Just a same example, everytime I go to work I take 1 designated 1 way route and I park my car on the side of the road where it's allowed... last week they changed the route making it the opposite direction (without any warnings or prior notice). Me of course not knowing what is going on I parked my car where I usually park it, I come out of work I get a fine for blocking the flow of traffic and parking in the opposite direction... And I can't fight the fine I just have to pay it.. :(

Back to the Palm, yes it will be construction for another 4 years minimum. On another note - alot of expatriates are leaving Dubai due to the raising cost of living (you pay for rent 1 year in advance either cash or cheque, isn't that nuts?) and the stress in this city. I got another year here and then i'm back home for a bit :) we'll see what's next for me :)

my best,
-Joey

Okay, thanks for the info!

JoeyDee
Aug 17th, 2008, 03:57 AM
So back to rogers here.. do you think I can get out of this penalty fee if I buy the fone and then cancel it due to roger's incapability of providing me a service in Dubai :)-

-Joey

Vexel
Aug 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I think really the only way to do that is to try.. but, I'm doubting you'd get out of the cancellation fee. It's Rogers. :)

JoeyDee
Aug 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I dont know - I remember when I used to work at BELL Canada Sympatico and when tied people up to a contract let's say of 3-4 years and if we were not able to provide the service for them we'd cancel and wave the termination fee...

So what'll do is enquire about it when I get back home next week and see if it's a possibility ;) 10x.

-Joey

HowEver
Aug 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
So back to rogers here.. do you think I can get out of this penalty fee if I buy the fone and then cancel it due to roger's incapability of providing me a service in Dubai :)-

-Joey

Absolutely. When you can get Rogers to agree to give you service in Dubai, you just turn right around and cancel when they can't.

It will only cost you $400, the cost of the phone, another $50 if your voice plan is $30 or less, one month's service, and a fair bit of your time.

Are there any other contracts you need to get out of? I think I understand now why you're being charged one year in advance for housing.

JoeyDee
Aug 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hi,

Not sure if I understood the tone in your post, however it sure did come of as a sacastic one, if not - apologies.

Just to give you an idea - the iphone out here is going for 8950DHS which is almost 2500$ now what fool do you know who would pay almost 2500$ for an iPhone? Moreover eBay doesn't ship out here so it's in my interest to do whatever I can to not pay this penalty fee to Rogers, who's network & technology is still behind Europe & this part of the world ;)

Does that answer to your last comment regarding any other contracts I need to get out of?

-Joey

JoeyDee
Aug 29th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I pretty much give it all I had and no luck folks :(-

I guess I'll be hitting up eBay or UsedOttawa to try to get my hands on 4 actually, i want to buy my brother, my gf and my sister an iphone as well.

:)
Thanks.
-Joey

HowEver
Aug 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant to say was don't sign a contract you can't afford, and don't buy stuff that costs too much for you. And, if you can get a North American iPhone 3G to work elsewhere without massive roaming fees, more power to you. Your best best is an unlock previous version iPhone. Hope that helps.

JoeyDee
Aug 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hey However,

I have a previous version as a matter of fact it has 2.0 unlocked (i know Ehmac doesn't endorse unlocked fones, but let's not get into an argument plz). The only issue I have with my phone is that there is no response from the screen for number 4.5.6 on the keypad, it's as tho that row is dead, i need to press super hard on the numbers in order for them work, which totally sucks and that's whY i wanted a new phone.

thanks.
-Joey