: Modified Pfishing Attack

eMacMan
Jul 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I am used to getting about one online banking hook every 2 or 3 weeks. Generally if RBC does not work the next one will be a BM and so on.

This week the tactics changed. Seven eMails in five days telling me my Scotia Bank account has been temporarily limited.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Not surprising as I don't deal with Scotia Bank at all.:ptptptptp

If anyone else is experiencing this, be assured it is still SPAM and treat it accordingly!beejacon

cap10subtext
Jul 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Who knew I had 100 accounts at JP Morgan Chase to deactivate? What's the Scotiabank line, you're richer than you think? ;)

Macfury
Jul 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I receive phone calls like this as well. Last one was from the Bank of Montreal. I once changed a $20 bill into U.S. money there.

eMacMan
Jul 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Who knew I had 100 accounts at JP Morgan Chase to deactivate? What's the Scotiabank line, you're richer than you think? ;)

:confused: :confused: You mean someone actually opens these???:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Actually the subject line. "Your account has been limited."

HowEver
Jul 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
On some email accounts I get zero spam, on some I get 50 a day. Some email systems route the spam really well, some less so, some not at all.

You get one of these particular messages every few weeks? Nice.

I also get the occasional phish/spam/scam phone call. Never ever deal with someone on the phone unless you call them--*and* you have verified the number first, i.e., not a number you got from an email, or a website you were directed to.

krs
Jul 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I never thought that a bank would actually call, don't they advertize that they never do?
But I got a call from CIBC a while back about my account.

The conversation went something like this:

I: hello
He: I'm calling from CIBC, is this ...............?
I: Yes
He: I need to ask you some questions to verify your identity. What is your birthday?
I: What about your identity? How do I know you're calling from CIBC?
...............silence.............
He: Oh.................well I can give you a number where you can call me back
I: What does that prove? Could be anyones number. If you're from CIBC and are calling me about my account, you should be able to give me the account number.
He: uh...I can't do that, privacy regulations.........

Anyway, this went on and on...................

Somehow the CIBC guy eventually decided it was actually me. All he wanted to know when the last payment was made on a Visa account - nothing terribly confidential.

ErnstNL
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I never thought that a bank would actually call, don't they advertize that they never do?
But I got a call from CIBC a while back about my account.

The conversation went something like this:

I: hello
He: I'm calling from CIBC, is this ...............?
I: Yes
He: I need to ask you some questions to verify your identity. What is your birthday?
I: What about your identity? How do I know you're calling from CIBC?
...............silence.............
He: Oh.................well I can give you a number where you can call me back
I: What does that prove? Could be anyones number. If you're from CIBC and are calling me about my account, you should be able to give me the account number.
He: uh...I can't do that, privacy regulations.........

Anyway, this went on and on...................

Somehow the CIBC guy eventually decided it was actually me. All he wanted to know when the last payment was made on a Visa account - nothing terribly confidential.

Same thing happened to us on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago. My wife was smart and asked for a number to call back before giving out any information. They gave a 1-888 number that was very close to the CIBC VISA service centre number on the back of our card. We called the VISA service centre anyway and they confirmed they were calling us to ask about a payment... on a Saturday morning???
Annoying.:ptptptptp