: No Sales at Apple Retail:

shonline
Jul 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Read it and weep:

AppleInsider | Spat with Rogers leaves Canadian Apple stores without iPhones (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/08/spat_with_rogers_leaves_canadian_apple_stores_with out_iphones.html)

Very sad indeed.

YIKES - Pressed the Submit button more than once thinking safari had hung! Sorry. Can I delete the previous 3 posts???

psxp
Jul 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Read it and weep:

AppleInsider | Spat with Rogers leaves Canadian Apple stores without iPhones (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/08/spat_with_rogers_leaves_canadian_apple_stores_with out_iphones.html)

Very sad indeed.

YIKES - Pressed the Submit button more than once thinking safari had hung! Sorry. Can I delete the previous 3 posts???

Is This for real? Or just hearsay? Apple.ca always indicated on the website that you could only buy the iPhone at Robbers/Fido outlets.

shonline
Jul 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Is This for real? Or just hearsay? Apple.ca always indicated on the website that you could only buy the iPhone at Robbers/Fido outlets.

If you read the article it has been confirmed by Apple.

AND we now KNOW that the diverted iPhone rumor is likely true. The units were likely headed the Apple Retail Stores - and now they are not. So - Rogers was also telling the truth when they said that THEIR shipments were unchanged. I am betting the reduction was the units destined for Apple Retail.

jay1975
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
hey there, a little off the topic of this thread, but hoping someone can answer my question. So i think im going to use my existing voice plan, and not get a data-plan at all. I'm pretty sure there is a setting on the 1st generation iphone to only use wi-fi. So i plan on doing that with the 3g iphone. I am pretty much always in range of free internet. And the times i am not,, who cares... at least ill hav e no worries of going over my data plan....Any one else think of doing this...Am i right in thinking that this is a good solution?

Elric
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM

AND we now KNOW that the diverted iPhone rumor is likely true. The units were likely headed the Apple Retail Stores - and now they are not. So - Rogers was also telling the truth when they said that THEIR shipments were unchanged. I am betting the reduction was the units destined for Apple Retail.

Still calling BS... no one CONFIRMED anything and I'm still sticking with my belief that opening adjusting contents and repacking would WAY too manpower heavy to bother with for this "Diversion" of stock.

I still think it's Rogers falsely limiting on hand stock to create the demand they KNOW they lost.

But now that I find out current subscribers don't get the ****ing iPhone anyways, I really don't give a rats ass.

shonline
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
But now that I find out current subscribers don't get the ****ing iPhone anyways, I really don't give a rats ass.

Who told you that? I am a current sub and called to confirm I could get one - and I can. Maybe you should double check?

Stu

Elric
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Who told you that? I am a current sub and called to confirm I could get one - and I can. Maybe you should double check?

Stu

Not until I am eligible for an "upgrade" which is god knows when. I signed up for Rogers a little while back FOR the iPhone when it came.

Joker Eh
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM

yeah in a private conference call. :lmao: why don't they mention who the Apple representives are?

Joker Eh
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Not until I am eligible for an "upgrade" which is god knows when. I signed up for Rogers a little while back FOR the iPhone when it came.

You are eligible for an upgrade (I think) 1 year after the start of contract or last upgrade.

Elric
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
You are eligible for an upgrade (I think) 1 year after the start of contract or last upgrade.

Exactly, **** them.

machael
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
you should have done the minimal amount of research required to find out their contract/upgrade policies.

Elric
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
you should have done the minimal amount of research required to find out their contract/upgrade policies.

I was ASSURED when I signed up, I would have no problem adding the iPhone to my account.

I figured that was enough.

jay1975
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
i've been trying to post on this thread and for some reason its not appearing. I asked about what you guys think about just using my current voice plan and not getting any data-plan? I'll just use wi-fi. Im pretty much always in range. The 1st gen. iphone had an option to only use wi-fi. So i plan on doing the same with the 3g iphone. This way ill never have any data charges appear on my bill. Any one else planning on doing this? (sorry of this appears twice)

Gene Rayburn
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I was ASSURED when I signed up, I would have no problem adding the iPhone to my account.

I figured that was enough.

Yeah, adding, not upgrading. You can add a new iPhone line to your existing account.

Roosterboy
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have been a Rogers sub for 2.5 years on my current sub. In the store I was told no upgrade at the $299(16GB) price would be $349. Went to a different store told yes $299 was good. Asked to upgrade current voice plan, told must sign new 3 year ctc to get My5 Long Distance. When asked if I can upgrade at weeks end with new hardware told no (same person) to early in new ctc. Asked if I waited could I add My5 LD to iPhone packages was told no! Came home called rogers got a different story again. Called my broker and told him to sell my Rogers stocks, not getting a fair shake as a customer is one thing but when this things shits the bed on Fri I am not going to let my portfolio lose out. SELL SELL SELL. :-(

MannyP Design
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
What? No response from the peanut gallery? ;)

This so-called report is BS.

Rogers would have told Apple *months* ago what their pricing plans were going to be. Apple has no problem with what Rogers is charging Canadians.

Anybody who actually believes this report is true is WAY too stupid to be on this forum.

The whole article and issue is TOTAL BS!

There is NO way Apple is in any way, shape, or form "punishing" Rogers for their current rate plans.

Even a hint of anything of the kind is so anti-trust, Apple's lawyer's heads would be spinning.

teeterboy3
Jul 8th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Question: When was it ever announced that Apple Stores were going to be selling the iPhone in Canada? Can someone please point me to that announcement from the horse's mouth?

As I remember, from Day 1, the only place announced by Apple to get an iPhone in Canada was either at Rogers or Fido. Not sure when Apple Store was announced in that foray…

I am happy there is so much dialogue over this event, I am happy to think that the possibly consumer revolt might (and I am clinging to slightest of threads on this) change the strategy/pricing of the iPhone for the better.

What I am getting mighty tired of is every e-Journalist flocking to report anything on this, often citing a story that links one blog to another, going back to find out its one person's idea, and not based in fact or actual information.

The medium is certainly the message here…

This Apple Insider story confirms nothing new, save for asking questions we knew the answer to month ago, and jamming them into a story to make a completely different story seem plausible.

Be very careful consumers to question the answers, and dig deeper than a bunch of people trying to manufacture consent.

The only thing the limited supply stories are trying to do is create panic and people crashing the doors on Friday to get one of the 10 per store before they're all gone…

Smell like crap to me.

Think for a second and tell me if Apple wants to make good on their worldwide claim of 8 million iPhones they may need to sell more than 10 per store in Canada.

MACinist
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Think for a second and tell me if Apple wants to make good on their worldwide claim of 8 million iPhones they may need to sell more than 10 per store in Canada.

If the UK has sold out the iPhone just on pre-orders and Apple is diverting stock there, I'm sure they don't care about Canada especially with the negative reaction to Rogers' plans.

teeterboy3
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The UK only sold out of their "online stock".

adagio
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Have you folks any idea how much stock they sold out online in the UK?

It's HUGE!! (http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINL0866623420080708?rpc=44)

MY GAWD!!!

"Carrier O2 (TEF.MC: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) said on Tuesday its website had been unable to cope with demand, which peaked at 13,000 per second. It later said it had sold out."

How much will Rogers sell? A couple of thousand?

The truly sad thing, this could have been us. Yes, the demand was BIG in Canada. They could have sold hundreds of thousands. If I were a Rogers shareholder I'd be mighty upset right now.

K_OS
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Question: When was it ever announced that Apple Stores were going to be selling the iPhone in Canada?

I don't think it was ever announced but like myself allot people probably assumed that like the US Apple stores the Canadian Apple stores would also be carrying the 3G iPhone.

Laterz :)

KMPhotos
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Question: When was it ever announced that Apple Stores were going to be selling the iPhone in Canada?

uummm... I think most of us thought that since its an Apple product and that there are Apple stores in Canada, that the iPhone would be for sale there. It's hard to believe that an Apple product wouldn't be for sale in their own stores. To be honest it really makes no sense.

Jul 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
CBC is now reporting on this:

Apple to Rogers on iPhone: you're on your own (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/08/tech-iphone.html)

It's about time somebody rogered Rogers. :D

teeterboy3
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hard to believe if you ignored the announcement, and then Apple's own web page that very day that pointed you to Rogers and Fido as "where to buy" the iPhone. That is why this story is a load of crap.

Apple store won't be selling the iPhone.
So?

You don't think that Rogers mandated they are the only place to buy the phone? Have a look at the pricing strategy of the plans.

fjnmusic
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
uummm... I think most of us thought that since its an Apple product and that there are Apple stores in Canada, that the iPhone would be for sale there. It's hard to believe that an Apple product wouldn't be for sale in their own stores. To be honest it really makes no sense.

If the Apple Store doesn't sell them, it will be the first Apple product in Canada that you have to buy from a non-Apple company. It would seem very odd, given that Rogers doesn't sell anything else remotely related to Apple, except maybe iPod cases.

HowEver
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
If the Apple Store doesn't sell them, it will be the first Apple product in Canada that you have to buy from a non-Apple company.

Except for all those products Apple sold here before there were Apple stores in Canada.

shonline
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Except for all those products Apple sold here before there were Apple stores in Canada.

That really is not relevant. We are discussing the Apple Store.

uPhone
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
What strikes me as odd is that this doesn't really seem to be a bad thing for Rogers..

Someone pointed out earlier how "there is no way that Apple wouldn't sell the iPhone" because Apple wouldn't surrender the floods of people (who may potentially purchase another Apple product while there) to Rogers.

It just doesn't seem like a bad thing for Rogers. It just means more people will visit their stores.

How is this punishment to them?

fjnmusic
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Well here in Edmonton, there were two choices: the Computer Product Centre (on Whyte Avenue) and WestWorld computers, its affiliate. In recent years, other places like London Drugs have also started selling Macs and peripherals, but WestWorld is the only place to go for repair and service, and staff who actually have some idea what they're talking about. Can you name another Apple product that made its debut in a store that was not a licensed Apple reseller? Rogers has so little to do with Apple it's not that surprising they've f**ked up this launch. What do they care? As long as they can continue to sell BlackBerrys, they have no allegiance to Apple whatsoever.

K_OS
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Elizabeth Hamilton, spokesperson for Rogers, last week said the contract length was the result of the high subsidy the company must pay Apple for the device. She also said Rogers was not offering an unlimited internet plan because that would raise the cost for people who don't need that much usage.

these of course are the same people that at one time told me that I would never need a faster connection than the basic high speed offered by Robers 8 years ago. Why don't they just give people the option of the unlimited data plan and see how many are actually willing to pay for it.

Laterz :)

shonline
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM

It isn't really. Except the horrible PR that has resulted from the online stories being picked up by the mainstream media..

but it MAY be punishment for those who hoped to get a unit on launch, as Apple Stores typical have had oodles of stock for past product launches.

I was at 3 rogers plus locations today and so far, one is getting 0, one is getting 15 and the other does not know yet.

Gee, if I were buying - where the heck should I go?

5andman
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
What strikes me as odd is that this doesn't really seem to be a bad thing for Rogers..

Someone pointed out earlier how "there is no way that Apple wouldn't sell the iPhone" because Apple wouldn't surrender the floods of people (who may potentially purchase another Apple product while there) to Rogers.

It just doesn't seem like a bad thing for Rogers. It just means more people will visit their stores.

Bad retail experience.
I'm going to love seeing a Rogers employee try to explain iPhone & Apple technology to the average consumer.

HowEver
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
That really is not relevant. We are discussing the Apple Store.

Then if it's true that this is the first Apple product not sold at the Apple store, and that we are only discussing that, we can delete all posts after the first one and lock the thread.

tleveque
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Ok, I will paste the message I just wrote in another thread:
-----

I think nobody ever taught about that concerning the "redirection" of Canadian iPhone stock to Europe:

iPhone box include documentation and warranty information.
And if we believe the first unboxing photos (Engadget), it also includes a power adapter.

Do you think someone will open all the boxes to replace all that??

I don't think so.
So in the short term it is impossible! If they really took that decision last week, it will affect only the next shipment.

ericlewis91
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
will apple canadian stores carry cases? or iPhone Applecare? or take care of iPhones with defects?

fjnmusic
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Good point. Rogers service departments suck for repairs, let alone repairs on alien Apple products.

DempsyMac
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
will apple canadian stores carry cases? or iPhone Applecare? or take care of iPhones with defects?

Thank you for actually asking an intelligent question.

Everyone one else is forgetting what has been pointed out a number of times from others. This was the plan from day one. This is not anything that Apple has done to punish Rogers, and also has anyone here talked to a person at a Rogers store, they are all telling me that there will be long lines, and the hundreds of people are calling asking about the iPhone, they will sell out the key difference is that all of us <zelots> don't buy it means that more of the regular people will and guess what that is better for Apple and Rogers too, as those people will not be complaining about the rates they will be bragging about there great new phone.

The question asked about the Apple store and accessories I am sure that they will be selling cases and they already sell head phones and chargers, and I am sure that other stores LD, WestWorld, Simply etc will sell accessories as well.

Oh one other note, I agree and don't think that Apple diverted any stock away from Rogers (Canada) but if they wanted to I am sure that they could have last week as last week the phones still would have been in China and I am sure were not in boxes yet, this is a FedEx world we live in and don't forget that. The other thing about this phone diverting story is that I am sure that Apple did not give any number guarantee to Rogers so they could have done this with out anyone even knowing, so not sure where this story really came from.

well that is my 2 cents