: Camera Question...

Dreambird
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:42 PM
I've got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX-30:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07013104panasonicfx30.asp)

I'm just learning but the camera seems to take very nice pictures... however I'm wondering if the resolution of 72dpi is as high as this one goes? I can't find anywhere to set it higher... I'd like to shoot at 200dpi or more as the shop (linked in my signature) requires that res.

I've been bumping up in PhotoShop for photos. Any artwork I've got done w/o a camera is mostly saved in .tif format at 300dpi.

Here's a sample shot from my camera:

bgw
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Are you talking about the printing of images, or the saving of images in the camera?

When taking pictures the units aren't dpi, they are mega-pixels and according to the dpreview article (and dpreview is a great site!) your camera takes images at up to 7.2 megapixels. Which is decently high.

I would take a good look at the manual and some of the tutorial information on the dpreview website to sort out what you want to achieve.

Where are you getting this figure of 72 dpi from? By the way, 72 dpi was a standard screen resolution way back when (System 6 Mac for instance), these days screen resolution is typically 96 dpi or higher! Modern colour printers work from about 300 dpi to thousands of dpi.

Macified
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
dpi or ppi isn't really a function of the camera. My camera (Nikon D50) takes 3008 by 2000 pixels images. If I print that image at 4 x 6 I am packing more of those pixels (up to the printers maximum resolution) into a smaller space than I would on an 8 x 10 print or a 13 x 19. Computer only display roughly 72 dpi which is why even crappy jpegs look okay on screen but don't print well.

I haven't read it yet but here's a site about dpi and digital cameras...

Digital Cameras and Genealogy - The Myth of DPI (http://www.rideau-info.com/genealogy/digital/dpi.html)

Macfury
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
72 dpi is what most cameras use as the standard resolution at point of capture. The difference is that a camera with greater capacity stores huge 72 dpi images, while those with lesser capacity store smaller ones. You simply increase the resolution and decrease the size in your photo editing program. EVenthe brand new model I just purchased uses 72dpi.

MacDoc
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
DPI is a device relevant measurement.
ie a 17" and 19" monitor have the same native resolution the 19" has a lower DPi.

Resolution is really the key to quality as well lens ( Lumix have excellent lens ).

DPi only applies to the output size of the photo ie the larger the photo output ( on paper for instance ) the lower the dpi for any given photo.

here is some info on print sizes, resolution and dpi

camera and scanner resolution (http://www.ekdahl.org/resolution_eng.htm)

Dreambird
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thank-you!

Your answers and those articles helped a lot to clear the "mud from my eyes"! :clap:

This For an 8 x 10:10 inches at 250 ppi gives you 2500 pixels along the long axis and 8 inches at 250 ppi gives you 2000 ppi along the short axis. 2500 x 2000 is 5,000,000 or 5 megapixels. If you lower your standards to 200 ppi you might get away with 3.2 megapixels. If you raise your standards to 300 ppi you'll need 7.2 megapixels.
suggests to me that I'm hooked with just the right camera at this point, which means I'm not bad at dropping hints... ;) It was my last birthday's gift, completely out of the blue.

I've never been a camera buff, so I'm just learning. I love this little one...

eMacMan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
FYI: Your camera should consistently produce quality 8x10 prints as long as you avoid using ISO 400 or higher. 11x14 should be reasonably good depending on how much detail you are trying to capture.

Over all an excellent camera.

Dreambird
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
:cool:

I'm happy with 8x10 right now, perhaps the odd 9x12... if it's sold through my shop. My printer will only do the smaller sizes but it does a nice job of them.

chas_m
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm afraid your original post has been flagged for gratuitous pandering to Dr. G. :)

Dreambird
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
What? :confused: The pic of my pooch?