: New laws will crack down on drug-impaired drivers

monokitty
Jun 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
CTV.ca | New laws will crack down on drug-impaired drivers (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080627/drug_driving_080627/20080627?hub=TopStories).

Canadians who get behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs will face tougher consequences and will no longer be able to refuse roadside drug tests when new laws kick-in next week.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson announced the new measures at a news conference in Toronto on Friday alongside police and members of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

Under current laws, police who stop drivers they suspect of being under the influence of drugs can ask for a fluid sample to determine whether the person is intoxicated.

However, Nicholson said, police are also required to inform the individual that they aren't obligated to comply with the request.

"More and more often individuals are refusing to give those samples and so now finally we are changing the law in this country that you will be compelled or you will be charged and I think that's a reasonable response to the problem," Nicholson said.

Under the new rules, which come into place on Wednesday, police can require a roadside sobriety test, and can go even further, taking suspected impaired drivers to the police station for more intensive testing or to collect a blood, urine or saliva sample.

Drivers who are convicted of drug-impaired driving will face a minimum $1,000 fine for a first offence. A second conviction could result in a month in jail.

The Conservative government is also making it harder for drivers to challenge breathalyzer tests in court, Nicholson said.

Good on the government for cracking down more harshly on the irresponsible among us.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jun 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
One issue I see, and it doesn't apply to me since I quit smoking pot 13 years ago is whether there will be a level applied like there is with alcohol. What if you smoked some shwag weed that isn't good for anything but the garbage or you smoke hours ago, you are going to get pinched when you aren't even intoxicated in the first place.

I believe to an extent that someone who smokes a joint is capable of driving, whether they should or not is another story that I am not sure where I stand.

For other hard drugs that actually alter your vision and perception like acid, coke/crack and such...you should not be on the road.

SINC
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
This is good news. About time that users of drugs paid the same price for impairment as drinking drivers. :clap:

9mmCensor
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I no longer drive or have a license (I let it expire, but I have a perfect driving record), because of money and the environment, instead I walk or use public transport. The worst drivers in my opinion are the elderly, not because they are intoxicated, but because they suck at driving, and I have been hit a number of times by them while I was walking.

Laws against driving while intoxicated are silly.

Driving dangerously should be illegal, no matter how intoxicated or not a driver is. But if you can drive safely with alcohol or other drugs in your system, there should be no punishment against safe driving whilst intoxicated.

How are they going to test for marijuana intoxication? Hair tests can detect THC from months before, so will people get nailed for smoking a joint weeks before driving, and then suffer at a fascist RIDE checkpoint?

I don't advocate driving while intoxicated, or dangerous driving in any way, but adding to the massive overly complex litany of driving laws, does not make anyone safer.

jamesB
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
What if you smoked some shwag weed that isn't good for anything but the garbage or you smoke hours ago, you are going to get pinched when you aren't even intoxicated in the first place.

I don't see a problem here, if, as you state, you aren't intoxicated, then you probably would not get pulled over in the first place, so not a problem.

jb.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I can tell you don't smoke pot; you would never be able to tell if someone smoked a joint by driving behind them. It's not like you are drunk and swerving an clearly drunk. The only way you would be able to tell would be if they got pulled over and you smelled pot, or their eyes were blazing red. Of course if they were smoking some potent pot they would become a bit stupid and could blow their cover. Although, they would likely be driving slower.

In the UK a study was done and showed drivers who smoked pot were more focused and were found to be safe. The laws are being made by people who really don't know what it's like. It is nothing like drinking.

JumboJones
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I don't see a problem here, if, as you state, you aren't intoxicated, then you probably would not get pulled over in the first place, so not a problem.

jb.Well spot checks are mandatory pull overs, they question you no matter how you've been driving. Usually going on or coming off a highway you get stopped.

As for the "I haven't smoked pot for hours" excuse, boo hoo, last time I checked it was illegal and you shouldn't be smoking it in the first place.

JumboJones
Jun 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I can tell you don't smoke pot; you would never be able to tell if someone smoked a joint by driving behind them. It's not like you are drunk and swerving an clearly drunk. The only way you would be able to tell would be if they got pulled over and you smelled pot, or their eyes were blazing red. Of course if they were smoking some potent pot they would become a bit stupid and could blow their cover. Although, they would likely be driving slower.

In the UK a study was done and showed drivers who smoked pot were more focused and were found to be safe. The laws are being made by people who really don't know what it's like. It is nothing like drinking.You're right it isn't like drinking so your average pot smoker shouldn't have anything to worry about because your average pot smoker really doesn't have anywhere important to go after smoking a joint, unless they forgot to make a run to the boarder for some TB beforehand.:lmao:

RunTheWorldOnMac
Jun 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Well, there actually is one way to tell if someone is stoned and driving...they are driving the limit or slower! :lmao:

What is TB? how is that Lawnmower working out?

JumboJones
Jun 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Well, there actually is one way to tell if someone is stoned and driving...they are driving the limit or slower! :lmao:

What is TB? how is that Lawnmower working out?Taco Bell baby! A stoners best friend, 5 for $5 can't beat that.:clap:

It's great, like brand new, rips through my green patch in no time!

jamesB
Jun 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM
You're right it isn't like drinking so your average pot smoker shouldn't have anything to worry about because your average pot smoker really doesn't have anywhere important to go after smoking a joint, unless they forgot to make a run to the boarder for some TB beforehand.:lmao:
Even if they did have somewhere they were supposed to go, they'd have probably forgotten it or lacked the ambition to make the effort.

jb.

Mississauga
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:48 AM
This will be a great way to ensure folks only smoke good pot, 'cause I have NO idea how anyone COULD drive after tokin' a little of the quality herb.

silverdreamer
Jun 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM
You think you guys have got it hard. Roadside DNA testing was introduced in Queensland, this year. They don't need to take you anywhere, just take a swab on the spot, no argument.

iJohnHenry
Jun 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Wonder if they collect DNA, while they're "about it"??

beejacon