: Video: Driving my scooter through Tokyo

scandy
Jun 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Found this video this morning and figured I'd share... kind of entertaining to say the least! haha

Themeless Randoms Driving My Scooter Through Tokyo Japan (http://themelessrandoms.com/2008/06/07/driving-my-scooter-through-tokyo-japan/)

Ottawaman
Jun 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
That guy has issues. ;)

scandy
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM
me? ;)

Ottawaman
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
The guy driving in the unsafe manner, who keeps swearing at everyone.
Ya you :eek:

scandy
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah thats me.

You can drive however you want on a scooter in Japan. The only rule is that you can't make a right turn across traffic, and you can't drive in any farther than the 2 left lanes (slower traffic keep left).

As for darting in and out of traffic, I was one of the tamer ones.

Macfury
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I found it therapeutic to watch and follow on the map. Thanks.

scandy
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
You're welcome. Ever been to Tokyo?

Ottawaman
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Are you not afraid you will get hurt driving between vehicles like that?
I worry for your safety.

dona83
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I miss Tokyo.

Macfury
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You're welcome. Ever been to Tokyo?

Not until I saw your video...

dona83
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Are you not afraid you will get hurt driving between vehicles like that?
I worry for your safety.

When in Japan, drive as the Japanese do.

If the light turns green... wait 2 or 3 seconds for the cross street cars to actually stop for the red light. :)

cap10subtext
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed that.

We definitely come from the same city, when that cab was just inching into that lane change all I could think was "Pick a (expletive) lane!!" just as you tore into him. Too funny.

Drive safe, man.

Ottawaman
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
How did you end up in Japan?

gastonbuffet
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
If you have seen me driving my scooter in Buenos aires, pretty much like this but with lots of traffic:

YouTube - Taxi- Scooter Scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVyZZXBICA)

Crashed 3 times, only one was my fault. Minimal scooter damage, couple of jackets shreded and a levis. little blood.
Good Times!!!!

MacDoc
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM
That was fun. :clap: Brought back a few memories. Cars are bigger, still have the same dual mirrors on the fenders...actually a GOOD thing for scooter riders coming up on either side.

Seems I recall all the taxis were once the same yellow colour - ( looked very neat at night when it ALL closed down at once..a sea of yellow then POOF gone ) not so now I guess.

What was the red pavement??

kps
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
If one was to try driving like that in the GTA with the obliviots on cell phones who aren't used to agile little scooters in this part of the world, one is likely to end up being a hood ornament or a wheel chock.

MacDoc
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
YOU always watch the vehicle driver. That's why I make my son drive his new scooter without sunglasses on - so he makes eye contact. You even learn to catch their eye in their rear view mirror or side mirror.

You get to know the dangerous situations - cars and trucks cannot shift directions quickly and scooter and mcycle drivers account for that.
Watch the front wheels and driver .and stay out of blind spots.- becomes second nature..

It was certainly not dangerous in my view. Rather normal in fact :D

Lawrence
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Nice video, I'll post your video link at our Toronto Moto scooter club website.

TMSC link (http://scooter.meetup.com/197/messages/boards/thread/4855248/#18442164)

Dave :)

Lawrence
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:43 AM
If one was to try driving like that in the GTA with the obliviots on cell phones who aren't used to agile little scooters in this part of the world, one is likely to end up being a hood ornament or a wheel chock.

I do it everyday, Not as crazy as that with the lane splitting though.
My new louder Prima pipe and Steibel air horn helps me get noticed on Yonge Street.

Dave :)

scandy
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
How did you end up in Japan?

Headed over on a working holiday and ended up staying for 4 years. Been back in Canada now for 3.5 years though.

scandy
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
What was the red pavement??

I can't remember what that meant... sorry... Maybe it was like rubbery gripped kinda stuff for those steeper hills?