Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Problem adding iBook to PC WiFi network

1K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  mguertin 
#1 ·
Having problem adding my “practice iBook” to my home wireless network. All PC’s are now added and my network is secured with WAP2 by using the “...stuff everything into this USB flash drive and follow the directions.” LOL! IOW, when I added a PC computer I was never asked for a “Password”.

Now that I am also trying to add my iBook to the network, after I plug in the flash drive, a window drops down that asks for a “Password”. Problem: I can no longer remember what that password is/was. The iBook uses Airport card. The network uses all D-Link adapters and router.

Any hints on how to add this iBook to my network? I'm not that computer literate, so plain English would be best for an old frt like me.

Thanks!

G
#2 ·
The PC's are all using "shared keys" (files given out by the router). The mac doesn't support this so you'll either need to remember what the password you set on the router was, or you'll have to reset the password (and generate new shared keys and redistribute them to the PCs).

#4 ·
Well, that didn't work. Even with the help of my Apple-using son.

I think I have screwed things up so badly that my best bet is to just start all over and first set up a new PC wireless network.

Do I have to "delete" any of the old networks that were set up and which are now listed under "View Available Networks"? - or will they be automatically replaced by any new network I set up from scratch?

Other than writing down passwords, keys, etc. - is there anything else I should do, delete, etc. to set up a brand new network?

TIA :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.