: New Mac Book

psych0toe
May 14th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Do you need to download boot camp to install XP on the new mac books, or do you still have to download boot camp and install?

Thanks.

med8or
May 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Do you need to download boot camp to install XP on the new mac books, or do you still have to download boot camp and install?

Thanks.

You require bootcamp or a similar VM like Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/), etc.

Bootcamp comes with Leopard 10.5 and cannot be downloaded separately.

Hope this helps.

Adrian.
May 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Your question makes no sense. Please revise.

chas_m
May 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Do I have to turn the computer on to use it, or do I, when I want to use the computer, have to turn it on?

nice&easy, mac&cheesey
May 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM
(Jeopardy theme song playing in background)

"Hold up. What was the question?"

By the way, loved Chas's response. :)

AgentX
May 15th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Lol. Sounds like questions the customers at my store ask on a very regular basis.

"My computer is popping up windows telling me I have a virus. Does that mean my computer might have a virus?"

"You mean I have to charge the batteries in X device for it to work?" (I can't BELIEVE how often I get that question. No, it works on magic!)

...and of course, the famous, "Hi, is this (company name)?", right after answering the phone stating the company name. Or, the "Are you open today?". I love answering, "Sorry, no, not today," and their confused silence afterward.

Ahh, retail.

chas_m
May 15th, 2008, 04:26 AM
...and of course, the famous, "Hi, is this (company name)?", right after answering the phone stating the company name. Or, the "Are you open today?". I love answering, "Sorry, no, not today," and their confused silence afterward.

Ahh, retail.

"But ... but you're open 24 hours a day!"

"Yeah, but not IN A ROW."

(hat tip to Steven Wright)

ruffdeezy
May 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
i would use parallels or vmware fusion so you dont have to reboot the computer to use windows.

SoyMac
May 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Lol. Sounds like questions the customers at my store ask on a very regular basis.
...and of course, the famous, "Hi, is this (company name)?", right after answering the phone stating the company name.
I ask that question (company name) almost automatically, because bored or habituated retail workers often slur or mumble their phone greeting and I have no idea what they said.

Also, the retail-phone-answering person often begins answering the phone before the mouthpiece reaches their lips, and all I hear is;
"...watermelonwatermelayIdirect your call?"

And yes, like a large percentage of the population in Canada, my hearing isn't what it used to be.

..Or, the "Are you open today?". I love answering, "Sorry, no, not today," and their confused silence afterward. Ahh, retail.
I also often reach live clerks on the phone in a store that's closed or about to close. The conversation goes something like this:

Me: "Are you open today?"
Clerk: "No, sorry, we're closed Saturdays and we're just in stocking shelves. Can I take a message and have someone get back to you Monday?"
OR
Me: "Until what time are you open today?"
Clerk: "Sorry, we just closed a few minutes ago. We open again tomorrow at 8."

Please have mercy on us customers who are a bit past our prime! :o

Joker Eh
May 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I ask that question (company name) almost automatically, because bored or habituated retail workers often slur or mumble their phone greeting and I have no idea what they said.

Also, the retail-phone-answering person often begins answering the phone before the mouthpiece reaches their lips, and all I hear is "...watermelonwatermelayIdirect your call?"

I am with SoyMac on this one AgentX. :)

bgw
May 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
There are some free options to look at for running Windows XP on a Mac. Some that I know of are,

Q emulator (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20830/)

Another is Sun's VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

I haven't used either, as I am running VMWare's Fusion (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/) Beta 3 right now (The beta is free!). I would start with VirualBox