: Blue Ray on a mac?

macmac
May 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hi All...i have a friend interested in a mac, but is afraid that in about a year or so macs will be equipped with Blue Ray drives. He doesn't know..to wait? or to buy? I told him I don't have the answer to that...if he needs it buy it, if he wants to wait to wait....

just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about the Blue Ray drives. Any insight will help

Adrian.
May 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM
external drive is no good?

psxp
May 14th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hardware is always evolving..

mpertz
May 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I've used a blu-ray drive on my mac with an external Blu-ray drive. Currently from what I know is that Macs will recognize the blu-ray drive and you can see the files on the disc, but you can't actually play a blu-ray movie on a mac because there is no blu-ray movie player. I personally wouldn't get one unless you need it to store data. I would until a blu-ray movie player is available for mac.

bembol
May 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I would love to see a BD ROM (dont' care for RW) on Mac Book Pro, it's what's stopping me from buying one.

Kosh
May 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I've used a blu-ray drive on my mac with an external Blu-ray drive. Currently from what I know is that Macs will recognize the blu-ray drive and you can see the files on the disc, but you can't actually play a blu-ray movie on a mac because there is no blu-ray movie player. I personally wouldn't get one unless you need it to store data. I would until a blu-ray movie player is available for mac.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the newest version of Toast will burn a Blu-Ray movie disc tha you can play on a Blu-ray player. BUT, I do believe your right that you still can't play blu-ray movies on a Mac... ie the blu-ray player software isn't out there for a Mac.

CaptainCode
May 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
No one really knows but at least wait until after WWDC which is June 9-13 since there is always the possibility of new hardware.

mguertin
May 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
There will always be something that "might" happen next year in the hardware end of things, it's no reason to not buy now.

bryanc
May 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Blu-Ray movie playback is unlikely to be available on Macs for quite some time. OS X does not support the 'Secure Data Path' required for Blu-Ray movies, and isn't likely to. Personally, I don't want my OS to prevent me from accessing data, so I hope this is never added to OS X.

If you want to watch Blu-Ray movies, buy a PS3.

Cheers

jeepguy
May 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Blu-Ray movie playback is unlikely to be available on Macs for quite some time. OS X does not support the 'Secure Data Path' required for Blu-Ray movies, and isn't likely to. Personally, I don't want my OS to prevent me from accessing data, so I hope this is never added to OS X.

If you want to watch Blu-Ray movies, buy a PS3.

Cheers

All Mac's with nvidia 8400gs, 8800gt, ati2400, and ati 2600 are HDCP compliant all they need is a software player to do the handshake thats required, and for output they must have DVI.