: say what now?

johnb1
May 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I know my Mac is new and all, but my m-audio surround sound card won't work with it, pci-express, eh... and the old one's pci, and they don't play together...and there aren't any pci-express surround cards out there. Yeah, sure, there are pci-express sound cards out there, but they're more pro-oriented, ie AES/EBU connector, and that sorta stuff I don't understand...so I guess for right now, it's done....

B'bye m-audio it was nice to have known u

John B

screature
May 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I know my Mac is new and all, but my m-audio surround sound card won't work with it, pci-express, eh... and the old one's pci, and they don't play together...and there aren't any pci-express surround cards out there. Yeah, sure, there are pci-express sound cards out there, but they're more pro-oriented, ie AES/EBU connector, and that sorta stuff I don't understand...so I guess for right now, it's done....

B'bye m-audio it was nice to have known u

John B

What are looking for in a sound card? i.e., what do want to do with it and ins and outs do you want?

guytoronto
May 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Pick up one of these while supplies last:

Griffin Technology: FireWave (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave)

johnb1
May 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
yeah, guytoronto, I think I'm gonna have to pick up a FireWave or some kind
of multichannel outboard processor,
oh, and screature-about 5.1 outputs, maybe a headphone jack, probably a mic jack, basically what I had before. I talked to someone @M-audio who said, in a nutshell, yeah, sorry, it doesn't work, we may be working, maybe, perhaps on a pci-Express version of your card, but don't hold your breath. I know there are a few pci-Express m-audio cards out there, but they're more for input, and professional in nature. They also have an upgrade program, I think it's $50, but for the Revolution 7.1, sorry, man, I know, it's a bummer, but there it is..not going to happen anytime soon

shame, too, because this was THE multichannel sound card for the Mac that worked like a charm. If any of you remember Creative's disasterous try with OS 9
and a PCI card, well there you are

John B

screature
May 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
yeah, guytoronto, I think I'm gonna have to pick up a FireWave or some kind
of multichannel outboard processor,
oh, and screature-about 5.1 outputs, maybe a headphone jack, probably a mic jack, basically what I had before. I talked to someone @M-audio who said, in a nutshell, yeah, sorry, it doesn't work, we may be working, maybe, perhaps on a pci-Express version of your card, but don't hold your breath. I know there are a few pci-Express m-audio cards out there, but they're more for input, and professional in nature. They also have an upgrade program, I think it's $50, but for the Revolution 7.1, sorry, man, I know, it's a bummer, but there it is..not going to happen anytime soon

shame, too, because this was THE multichannel sound card for the Mac that worked like a charm. If any of you remember Creative's disasterous try with OS 9
and a PCI card, well there you are

John B
Are you looking for 5.1 because you have 5.1 speakers? Does your speaker set up have an optical digital audio in, because if they do this is the preferable path. If they don't then rather than spending the money for a sound card I would spend the money on a set of speakers that will take the optical digital input out of the MacPro.

Keep your audio digital, don't convert back into analogue. I use the optical digital out from my MacPro and the sound is AWESOME!

Your MacPro also has an optical audio in port and a line-in port so you could run your mic in that way.