: Is a DOT Mac account Worth Her Money

BigDL
May 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Did Kait Duplaga get her moneys worth out of her dotmac account when turned on the Back to My Mac feature installed on her Mac from another Mac.

Story Here (http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9941279-7.html?)

Yeah! for the good guys. :cool:

darkscot
May 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
course she probably got .mac for free being an Apple store employee?

guytoronto
May 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
She likely did. Anybody working at an Apple Reseller can get a free .Mac account.

Now all we need is come company to build a sweet little application that asks for a password on a routine basis, and if it is entered wrong, the camera starts snapping pictures and emailing them to a specified account.

I can't imagine something like that being too hard to encode even for a junior programmer.

CubaMark
May 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Something like that already exists, but was broken with Panther *Leopard* :(

iSight Capture (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080126190204997&query=isight) (via MacOSXhints.com)

It activates not only during login, but also whenever the admin password is required (e.g., when installing system updates or a new application).

Alas, currently non-functional, and the developer has for some inexplicable reason decided not to update... :(

chas_m
May 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
.Mac was worth the money to me (and my wife) before we even knew you could do this. It's definitely worth the money now, and a little bird tells me it will be WAY worth the money in the near future.

hayesk
May 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Did Kait Duplaga get her moneys worth out of her dotmac account when turned on the Back to My Mac feature installed on her Mac from another Mac.

Wow! What I really want to know is, how did she get the Back to my Mac feature to work? I sure can't; and I'm between two Apple routers with NAT-PMP on just like everyone advises.

May 12th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Something like that already exists, but was broken with Panther *Leopard* :(

Alas, currently non-functional, and the developer has for some inexplicable reason decided not to update... :(

There's also ialertu.com , though I'm not sure if the emailing feature actuallys works right now or not. Pretty cool though you can use your remote like a car "remote" and has the same sound as locking the doors/activating the car alarm lol.

Patrix

CubaMark
May 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have iAlertU installed, actually - nice, though the "alarm" sound is not nearly loud enough. The emailed photo thing does work.

But - it's not sufficient... surely there are programmers here with time on their hands who could get the AuthFail - iSight Capture thing working again?

Who was it that built taboo for us a year or so back? :)

HowEver
May 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Along those lines...
macosxhints.com - Take iSight snapshots during invalid login attempts (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006120918170984)

...but unfortunately also requiring iSightCapture.

With the new MacBook Pro's including built-in iSight cameras, I thought it would be useful to take an iSight snapshot of anyone trying to break into my laptop. This is done by tailing /var/log/asl.log for invalid login attempts (both at the login screen and screen saver). I have created an authsight program (1.5KB download) that provides a monitoring daemon which calls the camera after an invalid login attempt, and also includes a launchd manifest. An iSight command line tool named iSightCapture is also required.

She likely did. Anybody working at an Apple Reseller can get a free .Mac account.

Now all we need is come company to build a sweet little application that asks for a password on a routine basis, and if it is entered wrong, the camera starts snapping pictures and emailing them to a specified account.

I can't imagine something like that being too hard to encode even for a junior programmer.