: Convert iPod formats?

ahadden
May 11th, 2008, 01:53 AM
So I want to use my iPod as an external HD to move a big file, but after that change it back to a music player. Right now it is in FAT32. Can I convert it into NTFS for my PC, use it as a HD to transfer a file, and then convert it back into a regular music playing iPod? Also, would I lose any music? I don't mind temporarily losing the music stored on there as long as I can get it back after all of this. Any help?

chas_m
May 11th, 2008, 03:26 AM
You don't say what kind of iPod it is, but since you say it's formatted FAT32 I presume it is a hard-drive based model.

This being a Mac forum, I'm not certain but I think the answer on your proposed plan is "no." Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this soon enough. :)

The limitation you probably face here is that FAT32 can't accept files larger than 2GB in size, and the file you want to move is larger, is that right?

If so, and the "target" computer you want to move the file to is a Mac, there is a better way. Reformat the iPod for Mac use and check "manual disk use" in iTunes. The OS X can handle PC files *and* accept files pretty much as big as you like. You can easily reformat it back to PC format later (and yes, you'll lose your music doing this, but that's beside the point).

ahadden
May 11th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Its a 5th gen. iPod video. It is currently formatted for my music storage PC as FAT32.

And yeah I know the limit of FAT32 is 4gb, but thats why I was hoping to reformat it to NTFS to remove that limitation (I'll be transferring a large file from my PC to a friend's PC, my mac isn't involved). I guess what I'm really wanting to know is if when I do format it to NTFS and transfer the file, can I go back to FAT32 and get it all working back the way it was?

guytoronto
May 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Yes you can. The iPod is basically just a portable hard drive, so you can format any which way you want. The iPod software itself may not work properly, but you'll still be able to use it as a basic USB hard drive.

heebie
May 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Steps to do what you want:

1. Back up all your music to your Mac with Senuti (http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/).

2. Plug your iPod into your PC and reformat it to NTFS

3. Transfer your files (...).

By this time all that will be on your iPod will be the files that you wanted to give to your friend.

4. Plug the iPod back into the Mac.

5. Disk Utility/iTunes. Reformat back to Mac.

6. Use iTunes to put all your music back on.

-Nice.

ahadden
May 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Steps to do what you want:

1. Back up all your music to your Mac with Senuti (http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/).

2. Plug your iPod into your PC and reformat it to NTFS

3. Transfer your files (...).

By this time all that will be on your iPod will be the files that you wanted to give to your friend.

4. Plug the iPod back into the Mac.

5. Disk Utility/iTunes. Reformat back to Mac.

6. Use iTunes to put all your music back on.

-Nice.

So switching formats won't mess up the music playing software at all?

irontree
May 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
doesn't matter... you just hit "restore" button from iTunes

irontree
May 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
just format it in iTunes using your windows machine and you're good to go. The mac will read it without problems. I have an old iPod with a broken LCD that I use specifically this purpose. Just as good as a USB key

mguertin
May 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Why not use WinRAR or something like that to split up the big file into smaller pieces? Might be easier in the end than reformatting your iPod twice and transferring all your library twice.