: Can't Google My iWeb Address?

skinnyboy
May 11th, 2008, 01:55 AM
It worked before but now Google can't find it. Any ideas why?

Is Google just being a snob?

Sure my little site ain't Emerson but it ain't hurting anybody either (unless you're viewing it... sober).

Carl
May 11th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Google does not do well with sites buried in subfolders, plus, Google only considers a site relevant if something links to it. Complex URL's are usually not considered top-level.
iWeb pages are probably the worst pages you could have for indexing. The meta tags are poor, and iWeb uses a weird image folder protocol that spreads images from different pages to different folders.
If you want Google and Yahoo to see your site, you have to build a standard HTML site with an index file and image folder.
iWeb is fun for making pages you can send to friends, but not for marketing to search engine world. I teach a course on this and develop web presence for businesses. Some free advice to increase WP would be to get a standard website supported by a blog.

skinnyboy
May 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Google does not do well with sites buried in subfolders, plus, Google only considers a site relevant if something links to it. Complex URL's are usually not considered top-level.
iWeb pages are probably the worst pages you could have for indexing. The meta tags are poor, and iWeb uses a weird image folder protocol that spreads images from different pages to different folders.
If you want Google and Yahoo to see your site, you have to build a standard HTML site with an index file and image folder.
iWeb is fun for making pages you can send to friends, but not for marketing to search engine world. I teach a course on this and develop web presence for businesses. Some free advice to increase WP would be to get a standard website supported by a blog.

Aaahhhh...

Thank-you.

chas_m
May 11th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I would normally defer to Carl, as he is very smart.

But in this case, he is wrong.

My podcast is hosted on an iWeb site, and when you type in the name "crusty old wave" into Google, my iWeb site is the top hit.

This may be because:
1. I bought a (forwarded) domain name for it.
2. It's reasonably popular and people do link to it.
3. How many "crusty old wave" things are there anyway? Not many, that's how many. :)

Vexel
May 11th, 2008, 06:09 AM
My site is also an iWeb page. Top hit.

Island Jeep Wave :)

How long has your site been up? It may have not been indexed properly yet?

Paddy
May 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Have you manually added it to Google? They may or may not add it to their index, but worth a try:

Add your URL to Google (http://www.google.com/addurl/)

Malco
May 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Webmaster Help Center (http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/)

Google's FAQ

Carl
May 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well, wrong is a strong word. Search engines actually read and index everything, even PDF files. So let me just say that using an iWeb page just makes your job a little bit harder. Google will index it, but how important is it? Relevance is built by search engines using two things, content and references to content.
So say you stored a 5 page essay on your grandmothers jam recipe and buried on your iWeb page. Chances are the word Jam and recipe and grandmother may come up several times. Your blog mentions the recipe and lists the URL. Google reads blogs every hour sometimes, depending on where they are, so your 5 page essay gets indexed, and becomes a popular hit. It doesn't help you though, that it is buried in an iWeb page that has crappy meta description tags, but since there are few articles on jam recipes, you get ranked fairly high, and since it becomes a regular search result, it becomes relevant to the search engine.

So chas-m podcast has some stuff going for it. It is popular, it is linked to a domain and perhaps there are links out there that make it relevant.

Google probably uses 200 or more different systems to rank relevance and all you can do is try and make it easier. If you want to stick with iWeb, the best thing you could do to get yourself indexed is to get a blog at Blogger. Blogger is Google, and it gets indexed. Blog about your site and give a link to it.
Manually submitting an URL to Google is like writing Santa. No one actually reads it or cares (oops, sorry about that). So to make a decent rank do at least this->Blog, links from blog to page, links on page to blog, page title metatags, page description metatag, and page key words. If you change content often, then announce it on your blog. If Google reads your blog and sees a URL that it has never seen before, it will index it immediately.

Hopefully the next iteration of iWeb will allow for proper tag generation, which will make it even easier for your pages to be seen.

Have I redeemed myself? :- )

chas_m
May 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Well, wrong is a strong word ... Submitting an URL to Google is like writing Santa. No one actually reads it or cares (oops, sorry about that).

Have I redeemed myself? :- )

With that line about Santa, absolutely. :)

skinnyboy
May 12th, 2008, 04:24 AM
^^^^ Very, very interesting.

Ah the internet, she's a harsh mistress...