: Lexmark all in ones-inkjet

johnb1
May 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Okay, my mom was out looking at printers (actually, she wanted an all-in-one color
laser printer, but those are around $1300, so that's out) and she buzzed down to costco and found these: Lexmark 9390 and 9575..I know one of 'em has wireless and the other one doesn't, but what I couldn't find out is... do 99% of the functions work on a Mac. We had a bad experience with a brother printer @staples. Salesdroid
there told us "oh yeah, It'll work on mac, no problem...." well the printing did, and...that's about it...so we're looking for a really mac friendly printer of any stripe

thanks

John B

SoyMac
May 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Yep.
I bought Mom a Lexmark printer specifically because it was "wireless" and marked as Mac compatible. I even went online to Lexmark's website to ensure that this printer was OS X 10.5 Leopard compatible. "Yes", Lexamrk's website said, "it is".

Set it up. Wireless doesn't work at all.
The stupid thing is the printer will print wirelessly from Mom's computer using Lexmark's software test. But when we try to print anything else, we get an error message saying the printer is offline. :mad:

eMacMan
May 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I got a Lexmark printer free when I bought the eMac several years ago. When the cartridges died I reluctantly relegated it to the landfill as replacement cartridges came to about the price of a new printer.

Can't answer as to how the integrated features will work. If you must go this route buy from somebody like :eek: :eek: :eek: Future Shop that has a no questions asked return period and be sure that it applies to printers.!

HowEver
May 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Lexmark bad.

EvanPitts
May 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The problem is less of Brother, or Lexmark, or whoever; but rather the fact that in general, all-in-ones suck the gorbachev in the biggest way. The hardware may or may not be good - but the manufacturers do not release the coding to the drivers, so it is virtually impossible to keep drivers running on any given system.

Brother uses the CUPS system for their drivers, so really, the printer will work on any version of Linux or OSX (perhaps with the assistance of GutenPrint). But they do not release such a beast for their all-in-ones. Hence, they may support one specific version of OSX, but not any others. This is the same affliction of virtually all of the machines of the genre. This not only afflicts OSX and Linux, but Windoze as well, as most all-in-ones that work on XP will not work under Fista. Even the executives as M$ complained about this amongst themselves.

You are actually better off with separate components; but I understand the want of the convenience of an all-in-one. Colour is yet another item. Most colour printers are pretty low quality, perhaps good enough to print cartoons. There are many caveats, so unless one is happy with less than stellar results, one should budget some money for a decent machine. If she wants to print photos only, then she may actually be better off with a photo printer because the quality will be better than, say, off of a low end Lexmark or el-cheapo $55 Epson Stylus...

Knowing my experience with wireless - you are better off to have a regular wired printer (USB is acceptable, FW is even better, Ethernet is a nice option if the price is right). Too many wierd cutouts, and too much of a possibility that someone will do some midnight wardrive printing.

Fink-Nottle
May 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I installed a Lexmark 9575 last week for a client with a MacBook Air and iMac. The drivers it came with had a problem and I had to download the latest version of the web. Apart from that everything went well and I was pretty impressed by the unit. It has a built in LCD which lets you scan, fax etc easily from the unit itself, and the wireless functionality is well done. When you scan it will find all the available computers on the network and give the option of where you want to deposit the file. Faxing worked well. Print quality and speed seemed all right. Being a inkjet I'm sure the consumables are expensive but the printer itself was only $220 which I think is a pretty good deal as these things go.

heebie
May 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Lexmark bad.

This isn't always true. You *can* get along with your Lexmark All-in-One if you follow these two sound pieces of advice:

1. NEVER follow the instructions. The instructions often mix up various parts of the installation procedure which can be fatal. Install software, plug in, print, unplug, then try and print wirelessly.

2. Check to make sure the CD that came with your printer contains the driver for the OS that you're using. The CD that came with mine was Tiger only. Check the Lexmark (US only because the others are poorly updated) for the latest software and drivers.

I use an X4580 with wireless from day-to-day and rely on it to get my college work in on time. It's great and I haven't yet had a problem with it. Forget instructions - feel your way around. Out.

fjnmusic
May 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
You know, you don't actually need a wireless printer to print wirelessly. As long as you have a wireless router (like the Apple Extreme 802.11n or the Time Capsule), and your printer is plugged in directly to one of the computers on your network, any computer can access that printer wirelessly from elsewhere on your network. We do it all the time with a 5-Mac home system.

Adrian.
May 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah people always pay such a premium for the "wireless" printers.

heebie
May 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You know, you don't actually need a wireless printer to print wirelessly.

Agreed. I paid the premium because I'm not allowed a router here in college :(. Sad...

SoyMac
May 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
You know, you don't actually need a wireless printer to print wirelessly. As long as you have a wireless router ...Mom's Airport is on the ceiling of the second-floor loft (great signal coverage and excellent house-filling sound from Airtunes!). Imagine how wonderful it would be for 70-year-old Mom to sit on the couch and print from her laptop and then run upstairs to get her wireless prints! :lmao: