: Motherboard Question?

Isight
May 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I did not know where to ask this so hear it is. I do not know if anyone will know this but here we go. I want to build a computer have for a long time now. I have a chance to get an ABIT BP6 motherboard (dual socket motherboard), 2 500MHz Celeron processors, 256 mb of ram, graphics card and, an ethernet card. This is stuff from 2000 and will only cost me $35. Dose anyone have any experience with these products and what not. I would want to maybe see if I could make a low end hackintosh, or build a media server. Any comments?

Thanks.

chas_m
May 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at this, but that doesn't stop me having an opinion. :)

The parts, as you've said, are circa 2000 -- before media servers, and not the class of chips needed for a Hackintosh (I think Core Duo is the bare minimum, but others will likely correct me).

What I think you've got there is everything you need to build a complete piece of crap. A very basic computer that might be able to surf the net and do other basic tasks, but will barely be able to run XP (lots more RAM might help) and might be able to be a functional print/file server (media server, no I don't think so), but would never be a serious contender for main machine.

Still, we're talking about $35 and the fun of building (if you find that sort of thing fun, I don't). IMHO I think it's ultimately going to gather dust in the corner, but it's your own time and experience and that's an awfully cheap "point of entry." If you have nothing better to do, slap it together and throw Ubuntu on it. That ought to be more fun.

shikotee
May 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
:confused: What's a motherboard??? :confused:

Perhaps what you meant is :rolleyes: logicboard :rolleyes: ???

I say potato, you say....

mguertin
May 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
You won't be able to do hackintosh with it, and it's probably a bit slow for a media server (depending on what you want to do with things). Cel 500's are not really enough to decode realtime for lots of the codecs these days (like H.264 and flash)

Isight
May 9th, 2008, 01:54 AM
A motherboard is the board in the computer you are using right now, witch holds the processor, ram ,graphics card, etc. AKA logicboard.

fyrefly
May 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM
A motherboard is the board in the computer you are using right now, witch holds the processor, ram ,graphics card, etc. AKA logicboard.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

But I also think that this config may not support OSX. you need a computer that at least has SSE2 or 3. Do those 500Mhz Celerons support either?

Isight
May 9th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

I know I was being literal. :D

CanadaRAM
May 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
One thing you could possibly do with this is to add Linux and some hard drives and make a fileserver. The Celerons are quite adequate for that.

mguertin
May 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
It would work ok as a fileserver with linux for sure.

Adrian.
May 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
If I were to make a hachintosh and use adequate hardware, when I put the osx install discs would it install them like a normal mac would. Or past the hardware stages is there a lot of coding to do?

shikotee
May 10th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I know I was being literal. :D

Whew - :eek:

You had me worried for a brief moment! ;)

chas_m
May 10th, 2008, 04:01 AM
If I were to make a hachintosh and use adequate hardware, when I put the osx install discs would it install them like a normal mac would. Or past the hardware stages is there a lot of coding to do?

My understanding of this is "no."

You need a special hacked version of Leopard, which is legally unobtainable.

Illegally, it's all over the net.

I have mixed feelings about this; on the one hand, it's illegal. OTOH, it's exposing a bunch of Win fanboys to the joys of OS X and spreading the virus. :)

Judging by the enthusiasm, "illegal" OS X may soon overtake Linux as the 2nd most popular OS on PCs.

EvanPitts
May 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
OS86, as it is distributed, will need an EFI based motherboard - of which the one described will most certainly be BIOS based. Now, Apple internally supported BIOS, but the methods and files have never been revealed to the public (or even the hacker's) eye. A Celery Stick will be entirely inadequate for OSX - they are too dain bramaged. The minimum system would perhaps be a CoreSolo, though prerelease developer versions did run on the now obsolete Pentium 4 platform (which was a pretty poor performer, as Intel returned to the P III as a starting point for the Core series).

So you would need something fairly modern, with a Core based processor (or possibly an AMD because some Hackintoshes have been made to work on those systems), and most certainly, it will have to have EFI.

For the motherboard described, it would be best used as a Linux/BSD box, where it would be apretty useful machine for many tasks, though really, a Celery Stick is not that great of a machine...

zmttoxics
May 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Alright, well....

I did a quick look, and the motherboard is Socket 370, which would mean the celerons are pentium 3 based - which is good. The pentium 2 based ones should be fully retired by now.

The downsides: 500mhrz is slow for these chips as they have a slower fsb and less cache, the motherboard only supports 768 sd-ram which is old and slow, these chips have sse 1 as they were just coming out of the mmx phase, slow agp slot (most likely 4x, I couldn't confirm it), etc etc. All in all - no OSX in any way.

The plus side: dual cpu will help a bit (Do not think of it as a 1gig p3 - a 1 gig p3 would way out perform these dual celerons), it's cheap (really should be cheaper though, its 10 years old (the board is actually circa 1999), open source will definitely take advantage of it.

All in all, a small lightweight linux or bsd (arch linux or NetBSD (which runs on a toaster)) would make a good server out of it. Other then that, its not worth your time. Likely in a year or so you'll end up throwing it out. Personally, I think all dual cpu machines are awesome, but dual 500s is really meh.

Disclaimer: I am an expert :p.