: WD My Book mounting troubles

benmossm
May 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
If any of you have scoured the Western Digital knowledge base before, you may have found that it is a pile of crap most of the time, others it works.
Anyhow, mine has decided to conk out for some reason. It will spin up when the power button is pressed but it will not interact with my Macbook in any way, shape, or form. I have tried various different cables, and Macs/PC's and have concluded that it's either the drive has an error on it, or perhaps the USB interface has somehow been affected?

My question is should I just bring it to a data recovery place, or would anyone at the Apple store be able to do anything about it? I realize it is not their area but I figured it'd be worth a shot. I'm pretty sure my 30 day warranty has run out, and Future Shop has never been great in the past. I really don't want to have to send it away and wait for WD to send me a 100$ bill or something and get it back in 6 weeks.
I need my Final Cut/After Effects projects! haha

cap10subtext
May 7th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe someone else out there might be better qualified to answer but would disk warrior help with something like this?

benmossm
May 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
It would, I have rebuilt the directory before with it, but the computer isn't even loading the drive, so DiskWarrior cannot even start to look at it.

chas_m
May 8th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Put it aside. Leave it alone. Give it at least a few hours, and I would say "overnight."

Tomorrow, reboot the machine (if you haven't before hand) and THEN attach the drive, THEN power it up.

Let us know what happens.

Carl
May 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM
My WD MyBook Pro has a 5 yr warranty, so I guess you mean the 30 day return policy? It seems some of them had faults and WD was replacing them. The FW 800 cable was also a bit finicky on others. If you have tried other cables, then it sounds like a return for repair or replacement.
If you can't see the drive in disk utility, then the USB bridge is probably done. Opening the case will void your warranty, but that is the only way to attach an IDE patch cable. I have a universal IDE/USB/SATA cable that I use for troubleshooting. It is handy for times like these, when you need the data.
Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't buy a USB only drive and never will. Hope it fires up for you.

benmossm
May 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
No dice on the overnight attempt there chas.

johnb1
May 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM
just had the same kinda problem with a WD My book Home Edition. Apparently, when connecting the drive via FireWire to a Leopard Mac, the darn drive may spin down and go to sleep (something about a sleep/wake command not being issued
by whatever's inside the computer.) I couldn't duplicate it, but apparently it happens when the computer is just starting up. It happened on my stepdad's Intel iMac. The darn drive just wouldn't show up on the desktop, and monkeying around with in Disk Utility showed one partition and it took forever. Time Machine didn't see it with FireWire . I know I partitioned it, too. Western Digital's solution: use USB 2.0. No sleep problems there, and they were right. Plugged 'er in via usb and both partitions showed up

Hey, WD, wha' happened?:confused:

J B

heebie
May 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Damn, I was going to go out and buy m'self one - just for its FW.

Oh well, thanks for the warning.

-H

benmossm
May 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Just to clarify for people on here, my drive is USB only.

dingbat
May 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM
WD issued a firmware update for Leopard a few days ago.

Fixes a number of issues, including random dismounts.

chas_m
May 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
WD issued a firmware update for Leopard a few days ago.

Fixes a number of issues, including random dismounts.

Ah, excellent!

Any chance of a link?

Nevermind: WD MyBook updates for Leopard compatibility - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/05/12/wd-mybook-updates-for-leopard-compatibility/)

UPDATE: I should mention that my newer MyBook Home Edition (FW+USB2) was already updated (firmware + drive manager) and now works exactly as advertised. I look forward to updating my other MyBook (Premium FW+USB2)'s firmware and hopefully getting it to "play nice" with the other MyBook.

eMacMan
May 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I would not assume the drive itself is dead. I have seen situations where either the power supply or the bridge circuit in the enclosure dies. In those cases putting the HD in a different enclosure brings it magically back to life.

benmossm
May 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
That is also what I suspect, since the drive starts up normally (sound-wise) but doesn't connect. I assume it's either the case or the connection to the drive.