: Banking Programs to replace Quicken

aggieman
May 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have searched the forum but have not found information on a program that includes the two most important abilities for me.
1 the ability to download transactions from Canadian banks
2 the ability to import information from Quicken Canadian.
Do any of the programs like ibank or Moneydance have the ability to do these two things? I would appreciate any information I can get as I would like to replace Quicken on my Mac notebook. At the moment I am using the VMware fusion program and windows XP.

pictor
May 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I keep trying ChaChing. I can download my transactions from pcfinancial, but it doesn't parse them properly. It's get the money amount right, but misses the description on most of them, so I have no context.

EvanPitts
May 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
How about GNUCash (http://www.gnucash.org/).

I haven't used it but it is Open Source (so you can stick with it for a long time), and is available on a large number of platforms (OSX, Windoze, Linux, BSD)...

Since it is FREE, it may be worth the try to see if it will fit your needs.

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Liquid Ledger (http://www.liquidledger.com/) is a Canadian company, so I think support for Canadian banks is implicit. Free 60-day trial.

EDIT: Further research reveals that Moneydance appears to support Canadian banks, iBank seems to offer qualified support, and iCash is unclear on this point (you should probably email these devs and ask specifically).

eMacMan
May 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Let's be blunt you have found the Mac's achilles heal.

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Let's be blunt you have found the Mac's achilles heal.

That's "heel" and I thought our Achilles (he was a real person, you know) heel was GAMES.

Ah wait, people have two heels, so I guess we can have Achilles heels in both of them. :)

So it's games and Canadian-friendly accounting/finance software. Those are our two Achilles heels. :)

eMacMan
May 6th, 2008, 11:17 PM
That's "heel" and I thought our Achilles (he was a real person, you know) heel was GAMES....

You are of course correct.:eek: Clearly spell check is no match for stupidity.:D

Now all we need to do is heal the achilles heels.

aggieman
May 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
First thank you for your help. I tried ibank. It offers some support for Canadian banks but none of the major ones and unfortunately not mine. Liquid Ledger does not appear to support direct downloads of transactions. You first have to download the transactions from each account and then import them into the program. I cannot seem to get Moneydance to import but an waiting for an email reply. I will keep you informed of further progress but as of now it seems I will have to continue using Quicken and VMware fusion.

nice&easy, mac&cheesey
May 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Not to hijack the thread but...

So it's games and Canadian-friendly accounting/finance software. Those are our two Achilles heels. :)

We need another foot then, to accommodate our other heel... true BlackBerry integration. Tried PocketMac... hated it! :mad: Worked horribly. Dreadful. Trying MissingSync... meh! :yawn: Average at best. Some functions of the Blackberry cannot truly sync with the Mac (ie, Password Keeper).

It's a shame. My love of Apple over-rides my love of BlackBerry though. So, depending on the software released for the iPhone (and when it comes to Canada) I may make the switch.

Just my 2.

azrail
May 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
You may wish to try mini$, courtesy of macupdate.com - it's freeware (so donate if you like/use it) and it allows a decent amount of user configur-ability - have been using it for the past week with no issues (even imported bank info) - trick little program (i know i'm too lazy right now for proper sentence structure)

chas_m
May 11th, 2008, 05:09 AM
You may wish to try mini$, courtesy of macupdate.com

And I will name him ... MINI MONEY!
http://tomlinfox.blogspirit.com/images/medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

Oh and here's the link for Mini$ (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25726/mini%24). Thanks!