: start up trouble!? HELP

kmacc69
May 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone, something is really wrong with my mac...i close my mac becuz it was low battery and i was going to go into the other room to put it on the charger..once i put it on the charger i opened it back up and it was just a white screen, blank nothing on it. then once i restarted it, it was stilla blank screen but this time the was a picture of a folder with a question mark in it....i really hope someones knows what is wrong and can help me...much appreciated!:clap:

eMacMan
May 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I am assuming this is a Macbook or an iBook. Neither of these has a separate PRAM battery which means that completely discharging the main battery can scramble PRAM settings. This may be one of those rare instances that zapping the PRAM actually does something useful.

When you boot hold down the Apple-Option-p-r key combination and keep it down till you have heard the start-up chimes 3 or 4 times.

Hope that does it. Otherwise it is time to let DiskWarrior strut its stuff or just restore from your back-up cloned copy.

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 02:26 AM
http://idisk.mac.com/chasm/Public/I-approve-post.jpg

kmacc69
May 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
ok i tried re-booting holding down tohse keys, and its still doing the same thing...what was that DiskWarrior you were talking about?

johnb1
May 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I don't know what kinda machine you have, what version of the OS , or anything else, so helping you is a bit of a crapshoot, no? DiskWarrior is a major disk repair program from Alsoft, which means, alas, it's not free, but it works great. Think of it as DiskUtility on steroids. Have you tried booting into open firmware (ctrl+apple+o+f)
on startup? You'll see a plain screen, where you can type the following
reset nvram, reset defaults (I think), and 'reset all" doing that, then maybe you can boot back to the main screen...you may try TechTool, maybe, or booting up from your original disk and using DiskUtility to repair permissions...ah, I'm just guessing here.....

J B

Malco
May 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think we can assume if someone bought Disk Warrior they don't need to be told to use it. So perhaps we could assume owners of troubled Macs don't own it.

Apple suggests:

Boot from System DVD/CD and use Disk Utility's First Aid.

Try to select your hard drive as the startup disk.

If you still have a problem reset the PRAM.

eMacMan
May 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I don't know what kinda machine you have, what version of the OS , or anything else, so helping you is a bit of a crapshoot, no? DiskWarrior is a major disk repair program from Alsoft, which means, alas, it's not free, but it works great. Think of it as DiskUtility on steroids. Have you tried booting into open firmware (ctrl+apple+o+f)
on startup? You'll see a plain screen, where you can type the following
reset nvram, reset defaults (I think), and 'reset all" doing that, then maybe you can boot back to the main screen...you may try TechTool, maybe, or booting up from your original disk and using DiskUtility to repair permissions...ah, I'm just guessing here.....

J B

The open firmware commands should be:
reset-nvram
set defaults
reset-all

Don't forget the dash or space as shown, run in the order shown pressing return after each command.

Generally does the same thing as zapping the PRAM. Lacking DiskWarrior I would just restore from my back-up clone or disk image.