: When will YOU buy your next Apple desktop or laptop?

Quicksilver G4
May 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
When do you guys plan on buying a brand new Apple desktop or laptop?

There's a poll and please make a comment :)

a7mc
May 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
As I've said before... until Apple makes a Mac "Not-So-Pro", I simply can't buy any of their systems. I need several internal drives (or at very least, e-sata), and I can't afford afford a $3500 Mac Pro. Until they give me a mid-range system, I simply can't buy from them.

A7

SoyMac
May 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Another option: "Very Soon"

Quicksilver G4
May 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Another option: "Very Soon"

I don't know how to change the Poll, if I could I'd definately add it.

cap10subtext
May 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Or the option: When it becomes necessary.

When this one no longer serves it's purpose. I tend to hang on to computers until I absolutely need a newer one.

Quicksilver G4
May 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know how to change the Poll options? Or am I totally screwed?

Tereno
May 5th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm considering getting a Macbook Pro but .. then again since I just recently bought a 17" HP laptop, it's unjustifiable. :( Maybe if I get a bonus or something..

shane3547
May 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Does anyone know how to change the Poll options? Or am I totally screwed?

Don't think you can ... have to delete and make a new one.

Trose
May 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Or the option: When it becomes necessary.Same here. Ordered my new 24" iMac last week, so hopefully that will be a ways away. :D

kps
May 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM

When this one no longer serves it's purpose. I tend to hang on to computers until I absolutely need a newer one.

Exactly....when I need a new one, but a 12" mbp, might kick-start me.

See current line up in signature.

Supercooled
May 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Waiting for the iPhone.

I never thought I would own so many Apple products when people were raving about Apple's superiority but I'm so hooked now. Started out with an iPod Nano (1st gen), then moved to a 2nd iPod and then finally bought a MBP. Great, now I need a faster computer so I bought a Mac Pro. Still not enough, I bought an iPod Hi-Fi (used) and then an ATV. They're displays are still too insanely priced. Tempting, but NO!

Aurora
May 6th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Funny you should ask that question today as I ordered a custom 24" iMac last week. 3.06 GHx, 750GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 graphics card, wireless mouse and keyboard plus a 1TB Time Capsule and right now it's in Winnepeg but it will be in Arnprior TOMORROW. Cant wait. Tonight is like Christmas Eve when I was a kid.
Unfortunately, I can't be here for FEDEX so it will be a trip to Ottawa airport to pick it up.
I'm replacing a 867 Quicksilver so I will definately notice a speed bump. :D
Cheers

Gerbill
May 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
No suitable category, so I didn't vote.

The answer is "tomorrow."

Literally, I'll be taking delivery of a new 20" iMac tomorrow afternoon, barring glitches in monetary availability. In the next couple of days, in any case..

Sualocin
May 6th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Just bought, I hope I don't have to spend money like that on a computer for a very long time. My friends shake their heads when I tell them I spent almost $5000 on a computer. Money doesn't make me happy though, this computer does. :-)

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Yeah, sorry to be harsh, but the poll answers kinda suck. In addition to the several good suggestions already listed, "As Soon as I Have the Money" would probably be the lead vote-getter if it were an option.

I used to be happy to wait a generation or two before jumping in, but I am *seriously* thinking about that 24" iMac. I've been very happy with my BlackBook (attached to a 2nd 20" widescreen monitor at home), but I have noticed the difference on things like Google Earth and iMovie 7 between a machine with a real video card and one without. 99% of the time this BlackBook suits me to a T, but I have a couple of projects in mind that would require a bit more graphic (and processor) horsepower.

I'm also toying with getting the wife a refurb MBA for her birthday. She could really get by with a (dramatically cheaper) iBook G4 or MacBook, but ... well, I know she'd love an MBA that much more. Can't wait for them to hit refub.

So, probably two computers sometime this summer, and most likely another iPhone once they're actually here. My day-1 model has been great (even greater now that it's unlocked and using Fido), but its only a 4GB and I'd like to store a bit more video and podcasts on it, so I'll probably buy an 8GB or 16GB depending on the price and plan etc.

Quicksilver G4
May 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Yeah, sorry to be harsh, but the poll answers kinda suck. In addition to the several good suggestions already listed, "As Soon as I Have the Money" would probably be the lead vote-getter if it were an option.

I used to be happy to wait a generation or two before jumping in, but I am *seriously* thinking about that 24" iMac. I've been very happy with my BlackBook (attached to a 2nd 20" widescreen monitor at home), but I have noticed the difference on things like Google Earth and iMovie 7 between a machine with a real video card and one without. 99% of the time this BlackBook suits me to a T, but I have a couple of projects in mind that would require a bit more graphic (and processor) horsepower.

I'm also toying with getting the wife a refurb MBA for her birthday. She could really get by with a (dramatically cheaper) iBook G4 or MacBook, but ... well, I know she'd love an MBA that much more. Can't wait for them to hit refub.

So, probably two computers sometime this summer, and most likely another iPhone once they're actually here. My day-1 model has been great (even greater now that it's unlocked and using Fido), but its only a 4GB and I'd like to store a bit more video and podcasts on it, so I'll probably buy an 8GB or 16GB depending on the price and plan etc.

I know they suck, can I delete the poll part and start over? Or is this impossible?

RunTheWorldOnMac
May 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I hope to pick up a Mac Pro in a years times...

cap10subtext
May 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I know they suck, can I delete the poll part and start over? Or is this impossible?

Meh... just run with it. No big deal. Needless to say ehmacers will find a way to make their opinion known. See below for an example:

Yeah, sorry to be harsh, but the poll answers kinda suck.

Chas_m, my friend, sometimes you are just like school in the summer time....

No class. :D

SoyMac
May 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I didn't mean to criticize your poll. I simply added my own selection. This poll is fine. :o

eMacMan
May 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I get a minimum of 5 years out of my computers. Given the rapid bloat rate of all OSs I am looking for a basic iMac with an easily swappable HD. Because photography is my main area of interest I am looking for a better monitor on the basic iMac.

The alternative would be a step-up from the Mac Mini with easily swappable 3.5 inch HD and better graphics support.

In the meantime the eMac still does the trick so will stay there till I see what I need or the eMac dies.:D

jeepguy
May 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Actually tonight after work, :D , if they have it in stock.

screature
May 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
As I've said before... until Apple makes a Mac "Not-So-Pro", I simply can't buy any of their systems. I need several internal drives (or at very least, e-sata), and I can't afford afford a $3500 Mac Pro. Until they give me a mid-range system, I simply can't buy from them.

A7

You can get a 2.66GHz Quad Core Refurb for $2100 right now. Even a 2.8GHz 8 Core for $2500.

Also brand new 8 cores start at $2900 not $3500, still expensive, but no need to over state the truth.

The Shadow
May 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM

My feeling is the same. Once I find that my core Mac can no longer handle my Logic projects, then I'll need to start thinking about it. Right now, Logic is running beautifully, so a new Mac is not on my mind.

..........?
May 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I will buy a new apple product when the one I have cannot do what i need it to do or it dies in a fiery death of explosion. lol

EvanPitts
May 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I actually prefer the older equipment because of my budget, and perhaps out of habit since it has been over twenty years since I had ever purchased a new computer. For me, if it is used, I am more apt to fool around with it without needing to worry about breaking something.

As for a newer Apple, I could see the purchase of a Mac Mini, so that I can spool a bunch of work off onto it. I was not too much of a fan of my PowerMac, even though it is a good machine, because I want to reduce the amount of space used for my computer equipment (and the Mini would fit beside the mouse at my girlfriend's place.) They are hard to find on the used market, people are really keeping them for the long term.

I would want to wait in case Apple decides to go back to the PPC platform; then I would consider a new machine. A PPC machine would weigh heavily on my decision, since I went to Apple in the first place to get around all of the brain damage of the Intel processors. Other than that, I would stick with the older equipment until I have tapped it out, and then I may be forced to go to Linux on yet another platform. But this is far in the future, for now, my computers serve me quite well.

Kosh
May 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
There seems to be 2 themes to the answers which don't apply to me.

- Macs being cheaper - if you can't afford a Mac, don't buy one.
- Apple producing something I want - they've always produced something I want, I wouldn't have a a laptop Mac and 2 desktop Macs if I didn't want them.

So to answer the poll, I won't be buying a desktop anytime in the next year as I just bought a Mac Pro a year ago. I'll be buying a laptop in the next year, probably a Mac Pro as my iBook is starting to show it's performance limits.

I think people need to start writing polls directed to the people on EhMac and not to themselves. Did you really write this poll to be answered by ehMacers or did you write this poll to rant or complain about something at Apple? Me thinks it's the latter. The poll really lacked options other than the two options or themes I boiled it down to.

titans88
May 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I bought this Macbook just over a year ago, but I am seriously considering purchasing an iMac sooner rather than later. The refurbs seem like a great deal. Hopefully there will be some Refurb white 24" iMacs available when I go to purchase. I want that matte monitor!

I'm sort of in limbo with what my next step in life is, and I am seriously considering making a trip overseas o travel for a few months. If I do that, then my iMac purchase will wait, as I won't have much use for it.

machael
May 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
two weeks ago :D

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I would want to wait in case Apple decides to go back to the PPC platform; then I would consider a new machine.

Evan, I personally promise you: THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

to get around all of the brain damage of the Intel processors.

Can you cite anything specific about the current Intel processors, as used in current Macs, using CURRENT software, that is "brain damaged"?

Because I'm looking at some sales charts for the last few years (since the Intel transition), and I gotta tell ya: we never did this well using Motorola chips. EVER.

PS. Have a glance at the most recent Consumer Reports btw.

ZRXer
May 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Don't worry about the poll options, Quicksilver. As it's been noted, ehMac'ers have a way of getting their opinions across one way or another.

I will add my own little option - most likely when the next major overhaul of the portable line occurs, and most likely the MacBook. I can't justify the expense of the MBP, and the iBook will hold on just fine until I see what Apple has up its sleeve for the MacBook replacement.

Current iMac is just fine - seems as speedy as the day I got it. That will likely not be replaced for another year or so - maybe the next iMac generation...

Quicksilver G4
May 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I think people need to start writing polls directed to the people on EhMac and not to themselves. Did you really write this poll to be answered by ehMacers or did you write this poll to rant or complain about something at Apple? Me thinks it's the latter. The poll really lacked options other than the two options or themes I boiled it down to.

I did not want to complain, if I had a way to change the poll I would change it.

If anyone does know how to change it I'll do that.

EvanPitts
May 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evan, I personally promise you: THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

There is always hope. Plus, by the time I am ready to buy a new machine, they will probably have new styles of processors far advanced from what is currently being sold. I'd even like to have something based on the Cell processor.

Can you cite anything specific about the current Intel processors, as used in current Macs,

Yes, numbers are stored in memory backwards. I not only have a preference for big endian processors, I converted from Intel (well, actually AMD) based systems to escape from that junk. People will make all kinds of comments - but I want my numbers stored correctly.

I have not been too keen at the new style of sales, where they issue a "new" model based on a .1 increase in speed. I haven't been too impressed with the el cheapo video that they have resorted to, both with fake video cards with no memory and in the flim flam of 6 bit colours and glossy screens only.

None of it is my cup of tea, and I can say that those "features" that I perceive as flaws in Leopard will keep me from making a change. I am not willing to gain the advantage of Spaces while being stuck with Stacks and a crummy looking Dock. That being said, my current systems will serve me quite well for the next number of years, perhaps with some upgrades along the way. The Apple platform has been pretty good for my work, and I am more productive than with my prior systems.

But keeping with the topic of the thread - I would certainly purchase a new machine if Apple produces an advanced PPC based system, or barring that, a system based on a powerful RISC processor core that doesn't store numbers backwards. In the interim, there is a vast used market of excellent equipment that will come onto the market to serve my needs. Many people will love the Intel based system, but they are not for me. Been there, got the t-shirt, had the t-shirt from the late 70's, and I plan on never returning to that junk...

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, numbers are stored in memory backwards. I not only have a preference for big endian processors, I converted from Intel (well, actually AMD) based systems to escape from that junk. People will make all kinds of comments - but I want my numbers stored correctly.

Okay, this one I will certainly give you.

I have not been too keen at the new style of sales, where they issue a "new" model based on a .1 increase in speed. I haven't been too impressed with the el cheapo video that they have resorted to, both with fake video cards with no memory and in the flim flam of 6 bit colours and glossy screens only.

FAIL. Both of those have nothing to do with the Intel chips.

In case you haven't noticed, personal computers have been stuck at around 3GHz-ish for around FIVE YEARS NOW. Improvements have largely come in other areas. I don't see Moto doing anything to push that forward -- come to think of it their chips are slower, aren't they?

I am not willing to gain the advantage of Spaces while being stuck with Stacks and a crummy looking Dock.

All fixed in 10.5.2. Gotta keep up with the news, son!

You can have Stacks anyway you want it, or not at all. You can have the Dock the way it comes, or back to the old style.

Many people will love the Intel based system, but they are not for me. Been there, got the t-shirt, had the t-shirt from the late 70's, and I plan on never returning to that junk...

Well I wish you luck, but as time moves forward this is going to push you further and further back ... of course the present concept of processors is likely to change just about the time you're back to using an abacus to calculate your taxes ... so maybe a lucky escape is in your future. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

zenith
May 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM
If an updated Mini is ever introduced I may get one. I wouldn't expect much, but it would be nice to see as a minimum for the bottom tier Mac Mini, the Intel GMA X3100 graphics (yes, dedicated graphics would be great, but I'm being realistic here), a 2.1 Ghz processor, and a 120 GB hard drive. Of course, such a machine would never ship with more than 1 GB of RAM without requesting an upgrade, so I won't go there. I don't want or need a Super Drive, so the Combo would be fine.

james_squared
May 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Another vote for an updated Mac Mini.

James

keebler27
May 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
given the title, i thought the poll would have been in terms of duration..ie. 3-6 months, 1 year etc..

for me, i'm ok now with what I have, but I would love to have a new 8-core mac pro. Won't be for a while though.

Corbeau
May 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Well, a MB (white, base model w/ 1G of extra RAM or the next model up the line) is coming to this house in a week or two.

As for changing the family PC desktop (nicknamed BSOD-machine), I'm waiting for an upgraded Mini. Unless I'm tempted by one of macdoc's used iMacs, since I don't need much horsepower under the hood and gaming is not a big thing.

EvanPitts
May 7th, 2008, 11:07 AM
In case you haven't noticed, personal computers have been stuck at around 3GHz-ish for around FIVE YEARS NOW. Improvements have largely come in other areas. I don't see Moto doing anything to push that forward -- come to think of it their chips are slower, aren't they?

Motorola has not made a processor in over five years. They sold off all of their semiconductor assets in order to get thrashed in the cellular phone industry. They certainly had the capability, their factories had the best chip yields in the industry; while Intel actually had the worst. Intel did make innovations, carving out bad parts with a laser and remarketing the defective products as something else.

Faster processors gobble far too much power, and the capability of going with multiple cores has the potential of increasing real throughput. I thought Intel was on the right course when they brought out the CoreDuo - but then they brought back the old Pentium junk once again, so that users can have two sets of brain damage on the same chip.

The G5 made some important concessions because really, the AIM alliance became defunct because Motorola spun off their business (the successor Freescale is more interested in the automotive and embedded controller market where there is more money to be made), and IBM stepped out of much of the computer business (selling off their desktop and laptop turds to the Chinese). The PPC core is still a potent core, and even Microsoft made the transition from Intel to the Cell processor for their XBox 360. This was also a supply issue, since Intel had obsoleted the Celeron that M$ was using, so they had to have something. They found it in the Sony/Toshiba Cell processor, which in fact, is a combine that inherited much of the PPC technology.

But no one in the industry has made a move to go to a real 64 bit processor. Sure, 64 bit accumulators, perhaps 64 bit memory controllers, but no true 64 bit capabilities. The next real step will have to be 64 bit processing, with true 64 bit OS kernels - but the industry is resistant for a variety of reasons.

All fixed in 10.5.2. Gotta keep up with the news, son!

Didn't know that they fixed such things. Hopefully they will pay some attention to Spotlight, then they system might actually be usable. Stacks is pretty much the worst garbage I have ever seen on anything Apple; and really, if I was stuck between being forced to use it or going to M$ Fista, it would really be a tough decision. The "new" Dock is just terrible looking. Not that I like the default location at the bottom of the screen, but that was easily altered with Cocktail...

...just about the time you're back to using an abacus to calculate your taxes

Funny thing is, I have never used a computer to do my taxes. My taxes are powered by a Sharp calculator, which I picked after rigourous tests of speed and accuracy many years ago. If it takes more than a second to calculate 69!, it is junk. I have never found taxes to be hard to do - my procrastination only exists because of the loathing I have for the Government in general.

Nothing wrong with an Abacus because a properly trained person can do rather speedy calculations with one. Besides, if everyone goes computer, the government can resort to infernal and completely non understandable forms of tax calculations - wait, they already have that...

garf1108
May 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Not at this present time - wife's opinion

:(

jeepguy
May 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
If an updated Mini is ever introduced I may get one. I wouldn't expect much, but it would be nice to see as a minimum for the bottom tier Mac Mini, the Intel GMA X3100 graphics (yes, dedicated graphics would be great, but I'm being realistic here), a 2.1 Ghz processor, and a 120 GB hard drive. Of course, such a machine would never ship with more than 1 GB of RAM without requesting an upgrade, so I won't go there. I don't want or need a Super Drive, so the Combo would be fine.

I wanted a 2nd one, but got tired of waiting, even x3100 is not enough of an incentive when you consider the apple tv has Nvidia and has no power brick, so picked up an iMac 24" 2.8g last night wooo hooo. :D

imobile
May 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Same here. Ordered my new 24" iMac last week, so hopefully that will be a ways away. :D

Funny... left Rancho Cordova ( east of Sacramento on eye 80 ) ... a fifteen hour drive in a big rig to Canadian border ( Blaine , Wa) BUT is doing a sightseeing trip ... to Nashville, Tenn yesterday arvo, to Winnipeg this morning ... maybe here in Lotus Land tomorrow. Oh, creating extra jobs I guess.

Interested in trucking, transportation.?
Have a few 'snaps' ( pre digital, scanned via Epson 2450 into i Photo ) at The OPEN Road ~Slices of Life on the road from Aussie/Canadian perspective pictures, photos, and videos, from trucks on webshots (http://rides.webshots.com/album/556740424fLSeVf)

Cheers

jeepguy
May 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
The PPC core is still a potent core, and even Microsoft made the transition from Intel to the Cell processor for their XBox 360.

Xbox uses a PPC triple core not a Cell Processor, internally they are completely different.

XBOX PPC 3 identical general purpose cores
Cell one main core and 7 SPE cores