: PowerPoint for Mac Question

steadfast
May 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Please don't accuse me of sleeping with the enemy! My daughter installed PowerPoint version 11.3.5 on my iMac 1.8 G5 wiht 1G of ram. So I'm in the process of making a presentation when I remember a piece of advice she gave me before she left. Download your presentation to your hard drive DON'T try to run it from a CD!. Well it is a little difficult to carry the iMac around and I have this lovely little iBook G4 with Pather and 756Ms of Ram but I don't have powerpoint on it. I tried Google looking for just PowerPoint from Office2004 but to no avail. I looked at OPAL Office and it doesn't look like it will run PowerPoint from a disk and VM Fusion appears just a little complicated for this old brain. I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks;)

Rampant AV
May 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Export the PowerPoint presentation as a PDF file. You can still run it as a full screen presentation but with no transitions or animations.

sae
May 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
perhaps use neooffice to view the powerpoint presentation? (seems like overkill though)

Or use the 1998 version of powerpoint viewer for mac?

Download details: PowerPoint 98 Viewer for Macintosh (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e25cb1e5-209c-4a58-b283-23e84b616477&displaylang=en)

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 03:42 AM
perhaps use neooffice to view the powerpoint presentation? (seems like overkill though)

Or use the 1998 version of powerpoint viewer for mac?

Download details: PowerPoint 98 Viewer for Macintosh (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e25cb1e5-209c-4a58-b283-23e84b616477&displaylang=en)

um, hello ... that viewer is for OS 7.5-9.x only.

sometimes it pays to read the WHOLE page ... :)

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Please don't accuse me of sleeping with the enemy!

J'ACCUSE!!!!
:D

My daughter installed PowerPoint version 11.3.5 on my iMac 1.8 G5 wiht 1G of ram.

Oooh, I'll bet THAT was legal. :rolleyes:

I tried Google looking for just PowerPoint from Office2004 but to no avail.

You expected help stealing software?!

I looked at OPAL Office and it doesn't look like it will run PowerPoint

I think you mean OpenOffice, and it will run your PowerPoint presentation just fine. The Mac-centric version is called NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php), but it's a huge download (126MB or so) -- hope you've got a fast line or a LOT of time!

It's too bad your iBook isn't running Tiger -- then you could download the 30-day trial of iWork, which includes Keynote (vastly superior to PowerPoint!). Ah well.

So, NeoOffice it is.

EvanPitts
May 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have never seen PowerPoint available separately, it is part of Office.

Having sat through numerous presentations that crash, I thought that crummy PC based laptops, or perhaps Windoze, was the root problem. But last month I got to witness a PowerPoint presentation run off of a MacBook crash in flames, with the whole searching for video input and skipping frames and hanging in the middle of animations - so that is proof to me that PowerPoint is a piece of trash.

The last presentation I did - I did with Preview! I took all of the graphics I wanted to show, changed the file names to sequential numbers, and set Preview to full screen mode. No animations - but no crashes either. I have never seen a Keynote presentation go down in flames either, and I would run Keynote except that it will not run on my Panther based G3 iBook that I use for such things. (G4 iBooks are still too expensive to justify the presentation every year or so, presentations that work just as well with Preview).

I have also had great success with just doing an iPhoto slideshow...

So if you must, M$ Office is certainly available - though you are really better off with Keynote (part of iWork), or if you are a Neanderthal, Preview works but without bells and whistles.

chas_m
May 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
The last presentation I did - I did with Preview! I took all of the graphics I wanted to show, changed the file names to sequential numbers, and set Preview to full screen mode. No animations - but no crashes either.

Very clever!

Whenever I create a slideshow (I almost always present using Keynote, never a crash yet), I always create copies in PowerPoint format AND as a multi-page PDF and put them on a thumb drive. If for some reason my computer was unable to do the show, I could easily move the presentation onto a PC using PowerPoint or (as a last resort) Adobe Reader to do something akin to what you're doing with Preview.

if you are a Neanderthal, Preview works but without bells and whistles.

I don't think it's "Neaderthal" at all to use Preview. As you mention, it's ideal for use on older machine.

Not only that, but anyone who has sat through a bad (but WHIZZY!) PowerPoint presentation will tell you that transitions are nice, animations are nice ... but the content of the slides and the reinforcement of the speaker are what's important, not whether your photos "cube around" or your charts draw themselves while we watch. If we wanted to go "ooh and ahh" we'd get tickets to be in the studio audience of Wheel of Fortune. :)

In fact, I wish I could get every PowerPoint presenter I know to watch this video: Death By PowerPoint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpjrHzgSRM)

steadfast
May 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
couple of things for the gentleman from the States now living in Vancouver. The copy my daughter installed used a licence paid for by her company, nothing illegal about that! I looked at a program OpalOffice which you are quite able to Google! I didn't ask for help to steal software not being as computer literate as some I just try on my own before posting for help! There probably no doubt Mac apps are better than Windows but I took advantage of an oppurtunity to learn! I don't feel like spending $130 of my pension cheque to update to a system that at the time I didn't feel I needed!
Thanks to all who offered advice and help but, my problem has been solved by a nephew in the business who has generiously offered me a Office 2004 with a licence
Regards:)

eMacMan
May 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
NeoOffice is a mac adaptation of OpenOffice that does not require X11 and does a much better job of font management.

I use it to open PowerPoint presentations which no matter what I do arrive in my box. Biggest issues seems to be sound and animated GIFS otherwise does a good job.

Note: Office 2004 fails to recognize the MS fonts that it installed on my computer. Go figger.

Keystones 2 & 3 recognizes the fonts but also has issues with sound.