: Some Question

philcebutv
May 5th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hi All,

I just came across with this site, im new here and just wanted to ask and hoping to find employment in canada.

how's the employment success in canada with mac experience? and what is the payment scale?

Im on the lookout for a job right now. I have more than a year of post-production and broadcast experience mainly on mac systems (from setting xsan to setting FCP editing/graphics suite) as well as having 3 years of pure IT experiences. Currently im holding two apple certifications.

sorry if this is a misplace post...

im just desperate on looking for a job in canada.

thanks and more power to the site..

chas_m
May 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Canada's a big place ... can you be a little more specific about the following:

1. What part of Canada are you in or moving to? Where from?
2. What are your "Apple Certifications"?
3. What sort of job -- specifically -- are you looking for? Do you want to focus on the Mac side of the video business, do you want to be a repair tech, a network admin (ha, good luck with that last one -- all-Mac netadmin jobs are rare as hen's teeth) -- what?

Cheers!

philcebutv
May 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Canada's a big place ... can you be a little more specific about the following:
1. What part of Canada are you in or moving to? Where from?
Cheers!
We're planning on moving to Vancouver

2. What are your "Apple Certifications"?
Cheers!
xsan and Directory certifications

3. What sort of job -- specifically -- are you looking for? Do you want to focus on the Mac side of the video business, do you want to be a repair tech, a network admin

I prefer an xsan techie or post production technician but could work for anything on IT as long as it is on a mac environment and not programming.

(ha, good luck with that last one -- all-Mac netadmin jobs are rare as hen's teeth) -- what?Cheers!

this is what i though.. as the leopard server advertises. NO IT Department NEEDED. but im hoping i could find.

thanks for the reply btw..

chas_m
May 5th, 2008, 04:33 AM
We're planning on moving to Vancouver

Vancouver -- heavy Mac town. A large number of indie dealers supporting a strong infrastructure (the official Apple store is coming to town as well).

xsan and Directory certifications

You should have little trouble finding some work if you ally yourself with one of the indie shops, but if you could add repair to that resume you could probably write your own ticket. :)

Be aware that if you are moving to Vanc from some other country, they are VERY VERY STRICT about you not being able to work till you get your perm res card. As my expat friends joke "BC stands for Bring Cash!" :lmao:

You'll need a lot of money in the bank and an immigration attorney if you want to be working within a year of arriving. The good news is that you can use that time building social contacts and networking so you're good to go as soon as you're "legal."

(if this doesn't apply to you because you're canadian-born, then nevermind! :) )

Adrian.
May 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Hey man

Just a heads up Vancouver is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Its up there with Tokyo and London. Beautiful weather, scenery and damn awesome people. Vancouver is in my ten year horizon (maybe 20 for sure).

What country are you coming from?

Macaholic
May 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Best choices for work in broadcast post-production are Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

kps
May 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Plenty of Canadians with those qualifications, so being "rubber stamped" upon arrival will most definitely not happen for you without employer sponsorship. Most employers will likely not sponsor you due to the bureaucratic hoops they have to jump through. Sorry to be discouraging, but that is the reality.

OTOH, if you were a goat herder from Guranbuti, you'd be in like flint.;)