: Installing a Tiger Partition on my Leopard Macbook

i-rui
May 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
I have Leopard installed on my macbook, but it turns out that i need Tiger installed to properly run some software for my Sony A700 camera.

I don't want to reformat/partition and install 2 different systems again. I read somewhere on the net (and now i can't find the link) about using bootcamp to create a new partition and then installing Tiger on that (thus keeping my Leopard partition unaffected).

From what i read they also shared the home folder between both systems with an alias (so settings would remain the same). That seems a bit risky to me since there might be some conflicts between both systems (i would think there might, perhaps i'm wrong)

Has anyone here tried anything like this?

I'll try and find that internet article that had the above info.

Gerbill
May 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I have Leopard installed on my macbook, but it turns out that i need Tiger installed to properly run some software for my Sony A700 camera.

I don't want to reformat/partition and install 2 different systems again. I read somewhere on the net (and now i can't find the link) about using bootcamp to create a new partition and then installing Tiger on that (thus keeping my Leopard partition unaffected).

From what i read they also shared the home folder between both systems with an alias (so settings would remain the same). That seems a bit risky to me since there might be some conflicts between both systems (i would think there might, perhaps i'm wrong)

Has anyone here tried anything like this?

I'll try and find that internet article that had the above info. Depending on the age of your MacBook, this may not be possible. If your Macbook was originally supplied with Leopard, you're outa luck. If it came with Tiger, a Tiger partition shouldn't be a problem.

i-rui
May 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
it's a core2duo 2.16 which came with Tiger, so i can do it. Just trying to find the most painless way to o so.

chas_m
May 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
it's a core2duo 2.16 which came with Tiger, so i can do it. Just trying to find the most painless way to o so.

The most painless way -- that prevents any possibility of home folder corruption -- is to use an external drive for your Tiger install. I should think a small dedicated drive for this purpose would run you very little money indeed.

Seems to me, however, that this is a lot of work and effort in order to accommodate one piece of software. Are you sure the manufacturer has no plans to release a Leopard-compatible version? Do you really need their software at all in the face of such fabulous apps as iPhoto, PSE, Lightroom, Aperture, et al?

winwintoo
May 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hmmm. Which camera software is it that won't run under Leopard and what does it do - maybe there's an upgrade to the software, or maybe there is other software that does the same thing.

iPhoto can probably handle importing and browsing. Image manipulation can be done by Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

What about Bootcamp or one of the emulators for Windows?

Just curious, Margaret

MacDoc
May 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
GraphicConverter imports as well.
Sony software....shudder :rolleyes:

monokitty
May 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
The most painless way -- that prevents any possibility of home folder corruption -- is to use an external drive for your Tiger install.

:confused:

Why would partitioning your hard drive potentially cause home folder corruption? Please remove the tin foil hat. ;)

i-rui
May 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
the software is the Sony A700 remote camera control. It allows you to tether & operate the camera from the computer and save images directly to the hard drive, so there isn't any other alternatives.

it runs fine in tiger, but under leopard the controls have become garbled and unreadable,. I talked to a Sony rep and the impression i got was there isn't a fix coming from Sony - they are hoping Apple will fix it with an update. Or there may be new software coming for their new dSLR (A900) that MAY resolve the problem. But nothing is guaranteed.

So my options are to run it under XP or Tiger. I rather use Tiger, and if i do that ideally i'd like to link it to my home folder so all my settings remain unchanged from leopard to tiger. Can i do this with an alias in the Tiger home folder pointing to the Leopard folder?

Is that a bad idea?

chas_m
May 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
:confused:

Why would partitioning your hard drive potentially cause home folder corruption? Please remove the tin foil hat. ;)

Please read the OP's entire post. I did not say, or infer, that partitioning the home drive could cause home folder corruption.

I *did* say that sharing your home folder between your Tiger and Leopard installs could cause home folder corruption.

i-rui
May 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
here's a link that talks creating an alias to the home folder :

Running Leopard and Tiger Together (Switchers' Blog) (http://switchersblog.com/2007/08/31/running-leopard-and-tiger-together.html)

but it's from people trying to use it with a pre release version of Leopard, so i'm srill questioning if it's a smart idea to share that folder between 2 operating systems.

chas_m
May 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
here's a link that talks creating an alias to the home folder :

Running Leopard and Tiger Together (Switchers' Blog) (http://switchersblog.com/2007/08/31/running-leopard-and-tiger-together.html)

but it's from people trying to use it with a pre release version of Leopard, so i'm srill questioning if it's a smart idea to share that folder between 2 operating systems.

I've never tried it, but IMHO it's a bad idea that creates unnecessary risks.