: Why are my Movies disappearing from Time Capsule?

Details
May 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
I copied some of my DVD's onto my computer, so that I can watch them either on my iPod, or on my MacBook.

I copied the movie files over to my Time Capsule for storage, so that they don't take up room on my MacBook. I recently went looking for one of my movies, to sync with my iPod, and ALL of the movies disappeared!

I was pretty sure that I didn't delete them, because I haven't touched that folder in quite a while. I still had a couple of my DVD movies on my MacBook, so I tried copying them back over to the Time Capsule. After copying them, they were there, but when I went back later to check again, they were gone!

What is going on here? Has anyone heard about this happening with anyone else? Am I stuck with having to rip my DVD's (which I do own BTW), and either leaving them on my MacBook, taking up valuable disk space, or do I have to rip them again whenever I want to watch them on my iPod?

Thanks in advance.

chas_m
May 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
I don't own a TC so I'm just speculating here, but ...

If the TC is set up as one partition entirely for Time Machine backups, it will OF COURSE delete anything that doesn't synch with the master (ie your MacBook).

You may need to *partition* the TC and use one partition for MacBook TM and then the other partition can be used as one would any data drive.

Atroz
May 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
You likely ran short on space on the TM and so it erased old stuff that you haven't updated in a while.

Details
May 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Problem is, I'm not using TC for TM... I have a USB drive hooked up to TC to use as TM. I have other files on the TC, such as my iTunes library, Photographs... etc., and none of these are disappearing; it's only the Movies that are disappearing.

It's very perplexing, and very annoying.

chas_m
May 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I would have said the Dept. of Homeland Security is scanning your drive and removing "subversive" material, but if you're not in the states then nevermind. :)

Macified
May 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Problem is, I'm not using TC for TM... I have a USB drive hooked up to TC to use as TM. I have other files on the TC, such as my iTunes library, Photographs... etc., and none of these are disappearing; it's only the Movies that are disappearing.

It's very perplexing, and very annoying.

Is there any chance the files are somehow being moved on the drive or hidden? When you copy a few movie files and see the decrease in drive space, does that drive space come back when the movies "disappear"?

Details
May 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I haven't checked the drive space when I move the movies over, but will try it again, and see if what you mention does happen.

It just seems very odd... I'm not in the U.S., but then maybe Homeland Security has extended their reach to the 51st State ;)

Griz
May 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It just seems very odd... I'm not in the U.S., but then maybe Homeland Security has extended their reach to the 51st State ;)

Ohhh Man! Don't get me started on this! They are already here and working in Canada! DEA, HS, FBI all have operatives in this country with the approval of our RCMP and idiot politicians!

So much for Sovereignty!

Ok Ok...I stop now...

No real experience yet with TC, but I have also heard that if disc space is limited, it WILL overwrite your other files. It certainly fits with your missing "X-files."

jamesB
May 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM
No real experience yet with TC, but I have also heard that if disc space is limited, it WILL overwrite your other files. It certainly fits with your missing "X-files."
Your self acclaimed lack of experience is showing.
You are crediting TC (Time Capsule) with actions that TM (Time Machine) has been known for.

jb.

Griz
May 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
You are crediting TC (Time Capsule) with actions that TM (Time Machine) has been known for.

jb.

Yeah...

What's a claim without evidence to support it?

Does that irk you or something....

hayesk
May 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I don't believe Time Machine deletes files not backed up with Time Machine, even if they are on the same partition. It's only supposed to delete older files that TM backed up itself, unless, of course, there's a horrible bug.

ZRXer
May 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM

jb.

Not quite sure I understand the value in this statement. Perhaps it would have been enough to just clarify what Griz said? I'm glad Griz has the sense of humor to laugh it off - not everyone is jb grumpy today.