: Flash Drive info

bullymac
May 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
This may be a silly question but... can I use a usb 2.0 flash drive on my old computer with USB 1.0 to transfer files instead of dragging it up from the basement and hooking it up with a network cable???
Thanks

mikejavo
May 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
It depends how much data you need to copy, and how long you're willing to wait. It will work just fine, but copy at speeds below 1 MB/s.

Irie Guy
May 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Yes you can all be it slowly @ USB 1 speeds. I use a USB 2.0 flash drive all the time with my old G4 iMac 800 which does not have USB 2.0.

bullymac
May 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
That's great... thanks very much... it is just for some old pictures I have on my computer... I got lot's of time to wait... so no biggie on the time lag. I transferred them all over before but when I first tried to install XP I erased my harddrive... oops my bad... so I just don't want to lug it outta the basement and do it again... Thanks for the info
Bullymac

KC13
May 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
I use one to transfer files from my net connected PC to my G3 with no connection, and it works just fine. The only thing I've noticed is that once you put away the flash drive, for some reason the G3 won't recognize it again unless it is rebooted.