: Salesforce.com going all-Mac

Macaholic
May 2nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
4,000 Macs just got a new job :D

Same # PCs are on pogey.

Salesforce dumping 4,000 PCs for Macs? | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1624)

Adrian.
May 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
This is a sad day when Corporations start switching. A sad sad day!

Get ready to for some viruses!

HowEver
May 2nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
This is a sad day when Corporations start switching. A sad sad day!

Get ready to for some viruses!

You may have read Macaholic's post, or the associated link, too quickly.

ruffdeezy
May 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
I wish my employer would dump the pc's we have. They are all junk, slower than hell and they crash constantly. They pay a few IT guys lots of money to tell us to reboot them. Ive almost dumped all the pc's in my house for macs and haven't had one crash or freeze up on my mac, almost daily on my pc. who wants a dell?

DDKD726
May 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Ive almost dumped all the pc's in my house for macs and haven't had one crash or freeze up on my mac, almost daily on my pc. who wants a dell?

I'm just curious, how many computers does one need at home???

screature
May 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM

I need (well choose to have) 3, one for me, one for my wife and one for the living room (multimedia entertainment server).

EvanPitts
May 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM

Minimum of three, but six or seven is better...

Unless you have more than one person, which will obviously boost that number.

taylom
May 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
...They pay a few IT guys lots of money to tell us to reboot them...

Hey I resent that comment! :) Although it is true. 99% of the time you can fix a PC by rebooting it. I wish my company decided to go all Mac. Of course if they did, I think I'd be out of a job!

hayesk
May 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Well, you need a desktop because it sometimes can be more productive working at a desk with a giant screen. But sometimes you want to surf on the sofa, so a laptop is in order. Wait, do you have a spouse? They want to surf on the sofa too. So that makes three.

Then, you may want to have a media centre - so that makes four.

Some people have servers, but if you have a desktop or media server, all your server stuff should run on that in the background. But I can see four, maybe more if you have teenagers.

I know you could say "use your laptop at the desk. True, but then you may need a server for always available data, so you are right back where you started from.

jamesB
May 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Check out this fellas systems (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple-apple-apple/mans-spare-room-filled-with-almost-every-apple-model-ever-made-306566.php).
I believe he has around 150 working Apple computers.

jb.

screature
May 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Check out this fellas systems (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple-apple-apple/mans-spare-room-filled-with-almost-every-apple-model-ever-made-306566.php).
I believe he has around 150 working Apple computers.

jb.

Yeah kind of reminds me of MacDoc's place. Hey Doc how many Macs do you personally own?

StageDive
May 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I don't beleive that anyone NEEDS to have computers at home, but I have one Mac, and I guess the family Wii counts too, because I can do everything I need to do on the Mac on the Wii.

screature
May 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't beleive that anyone NEEDS to have computers at home, but I have one Mac, and I guess the family Wii counts too, because I can do everything I need to do on the Mac on the Wii.

Ever hear of working from home?

thegreenapple
May 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Um besides what is in my sig
There is the 3 "computers" (dells) for work at home
and there is just me and my cat at home

Now where is that cat

___

Macaholic
May 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Holy crap! My thread was totally hijacked!! :eek:

Not that I'm helping much, but we have three Macs in the house.

StageDive
May 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Ever hear of working from home?

I see your point, but for most people, one computer is enough. (At least in my opinion!)

fjnmusic
May 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Five iMacs for us (one for each family member, plus the cat and dog have to share one), four iPod Nanos, one iPod 2G, one Apple Extreme router, one AppleTV. Yup, I think that about covers it. Old iMacs are cheap like borscht in these parts.

Quicksilver G4
May 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
But sometimes you want to surf on the sofa
How do you surf on your sofa? Isn't there not enough space? No water? :confused: :lmao: :lmao:

Quicksilver G4
May 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
It's always good to have at least 3 computers in one's home for one person, in case one doesn't run the program, or something isn't working, and it's good to have at least 1 windows pc If you don't have an intel mac since there are still a handful of windows apps and stuff that you need to use that is only for windows.

Macaholic
May 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
It's always good to have at least 3 computers in one's home for one person, in case one doesn't run the program, or something isn't working, and it's good to have at least 1 windows pc If you don't have an intel mac since there are still a handful of windows apps and stuff that you need to use that is only for windows.

You're kidding. Right?

Quicksilver G4
May 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Maybe... :D

Macaholic
May 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I see your point, but for most people, one computer is enough. (At least in my opinion!)

"640K software is all the memory anybody would ever need on a computer." - Bill Gates.

Turns out not even he is that short-sighted (http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/01/1484).

How would you know what the computing needs are of complete strangers? Media consumption is changing these days, and people are more attached to the internet and the tools made available by computers. You have a family full of people and there'll be some major turf wars for a single computer in the household. This aint the 1990's and people don't use computers today like they did back then.

fjnmusic
May 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah.

Mississauga
May 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
This aint the 1990's and people don't use computers today like they did back then.Back then? If that doesn't make me feel old, nothing will! ;)

Macaholic
May 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Back then? If that doesn't make me feel old, nothing will! ;)

I'm 47, so I can go REAL far back to feel old :D

Darien Red Sox
May 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM

The more the maryer. If I had my way I would keep all of my old Mac gear from the 90's in the basement. I am a computer geek and love coleacting random computer stuff, expecley when it is Mac stuff. Right now I am running 3 Macs in my house soon to be 4 once I buy a MBP. I have also got a colection of PC stuff mostley given to me that I manley use for paper weights or for creating PC startup disks for my work.