: Swap out drives in LaCie enclosure

MacDaddy
May 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have the LaCie Mac Mini drive, but it is only 500GB. Has anybody swapped out drives on one of these (Or other) LaCie enclosures?

I would like to put a 1TB drive in it before I run out of space! I have about 80GB left, but I still have about 20 or so seasons on DVD to encode!!

Thanks

eMacMan
May 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Should be fairly easy. HOWEVER it will probably void any remaining warranty.

Why not add a second drive and use the first on a sometimes basis strictly for a CCC system back up. Enclosures and HDs are cheap right now and very easy to put together.

screature
May 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
I have the LaCie Mac Mini drive, but it is only 500GB. Has anybody swapped out drives on one of these (Or other) LaCie enclosures?

I would like to put a 1TB drive in it before I run out of space! I have about 80GB left, but I still have about 20 or so seasons on DVD to encode!!

Thanks

Yes I have done it on both D2s and Porches (out of warranty), not hard. When I did it it was because of failed drives. The enclosures were still perfectly usable.

MacDaddy
May 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
The reason I am doing this is because of the case mod I am doing as well. Having another drive will take up too much room and generate more heat than I care to have in the enclosure.

I have never sent a LaCie drive back for repair (I have sent their small USB drives back though), so I am not overly concerned about the warranty. Will have to take a closer look at the enclosure to see about taking it apart.