: Can I do this???

DeadZone
May 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

I just purchased a 750 gig ministack version 3 HD and want to do the following:

1. Make the Hard drive three partitions - Superduper clone for iMac, XP clone using Winclone and time machine. Each on their own partition.

Will I be able to format each partition individually for the tasks I require?

Thanks in advance.

screature
May 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased a 750 gig ministack version 3 HD and want to do the following:

1. Make the Hard drive three partitions - Superduper clone for iMac, XP clone using Winclone and time machine. Each on their own partition.

Will I be able to format each partition individually for the tasks I require?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't done it, but I don't see why not.

Daktari
May 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
I remember trying to get an NTFS partition and HFS+ partition on the same hard disk, it was a headache. That was a while ago so things might be different right now.

Oh, it was unsupported and carried a higher risk of data loss.

hayesk
May 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yes for Mac partitions (I've done it many times), but I wouldn't try to mix a PC partition there.

shikotee
May 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Why wouldn't this work?

You are not booting off this drive - it is simply being used for backup?

Aquaholic
May 7th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Within Windows, create two NTFS partitions.

Then, within Mac OS X, use Disk Utility's "Erase" option to reformat one of the NTFS partitions as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

EvanPitts
May 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Because of the inherent brain damage of Windoze... You will need to partition the drive with Windoze. Windoze should be on the first partition, and you will need to format it prior to doing anything with OSX (or any other OS for that matter).

NTFS will be less compatible than FAT32, and there are only a few utilities for other OSes that can actually deal with reading and writing to NTFS formatted drives. You may wish to have two Windoze partitions, a large NTFS one for Windoze only; and a FAT32 one to facilitate data transfers between systems. You can also use a Keychain for the same thing. Of course, FAT32 can not handle files over 4GB in size...

So you partition with Windoze, and format the drive as you need. Then you should be able to use Disk Utility to create a HFS+ partition, and do what you need to get it going. But there are caveats, and Windoze may nuke other partitions if you ever run fdisk by mistake (or if a virus does something to the MBR). However, it is possible to have the systems co-exist on an external drive.

A better solution is to have dedicated drives, one for Windoze and one for OSX; though it may not be within a budget. I used to have a Windoze/Linux box, and pretty much every month, Windoze would nuke access to the Linux drive because installations of the Evil O$ will inevitably nuke the boot loader. We have had a few problems with that on a Windoze/HFS+ formatted drive as well, though we have run it stable for almost a year, well, almost stable since the drive does have the Windoze virus OS on it in the first place.

chas_m
May 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I defer to those who know more about this than me, but I wouldn't run mixed formatting on a single hard drive if you paid me. Handsomely.

DeadZone
May 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I have just gotten my 750 gig MiniStack and heeded all of the advice from all who answered.

I made 2 partitions. 1 for Time Machine and 1 for SuperDuper!

I have made the decision to purchase another smaller MiniStack for my bootcamp partition using Winclone.

I have also subscribed to an online back up service - Mozy.

I think I am covered.

Thanks again to all who answered.