: ehMac Lottery?

Adrian.
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
So I was thinking that everyone loves a little dab in the game of chance and thought about how much we love Macs on here, so why not have a Mac lottery!

Somehow, possibly through Paypal, people would pay say 5 bucks a ticket. The money would go into a pot to buy a, say a new Macbook. There would be enough tickets to sum the amount a macbook would cost. The next month could be a new iMac and so on.

Obviously this would require an immense amount of trust and accountability. Do not ask me how, I have no idea. This is just an idea I had. If anyone could further add on or construct the possibility of this happening would be super cool!

Happy days

20DDan
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Dude that is a sick idea! Only it'd have to be started by a very reputable person here! We all pitch in $5 or so and have a chance at winning a Macbook... wow... now that sounds like a fun lottary!

Although it should start off as something small... an iPod Touch or iPhone Unlocked... & have the draw broadcast over the internet via iChat or something! Pick the name out of an iPod box & have at least 3 different members present to verify that things are being done correctly. Maybe I'm going too detailed into this idea:D :o

machael
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM
if this actually develops into something i would definitely participate

Adrian.
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I mean the only person I can think of is the mayor. This would be a huge responsibility. There are laws against lotteries over a certain dollar amount. I do not know what that figure is. Under that though, there is no need for licenses etc. That might exclude mac pros and ssd airs ;) .

tango
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I mean the only person I can think of is the mayor. This would be a huge responsibility. There are laws against lotteries over a certain dollar amount. I do not know what that figure is. Under that though, there is no need for licenses etc. That might exclude mac pros and ssd airs ;) .

Just throw in a skill-testing question and you're good to go. That way it's a contest, not a lottery...

Queue
May 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Tell you what, I'll handle all the money. To make it easy why doesn't everyone just wire it to my Swiss bank account? :greedy: :greedy: :D :lmao:

nice&easy, mac&cheesey
May 1st, 2008, 01:07 AM
I know I'm new to this forum, but I'm in if this gets going.

Sweet idea.

chas_m
May 1st, 2008, 05:49 AM
Subject to Canadian laws on lotteries (about which I know nothing), why not just ape the model that DealMac has set up? You "enter" once per day -- no fee to you -- and the winner is picked at random. The prize is paid for by the sponsor, who gets an equivalent amount of ad space (and numerous plugs and general goodwill). Costs the site nothing, costs the sponsor only minimally, costs the users nothing.

ruffdeezy
May 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Im in if it happens

iJohnHenry
May 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Costs the site nothing, costs the sponsor only minimally, costs the users nothing.

Costs the site ad space, and dilution of their paying ads.

That one won't fly here, IMO.

PS: I'm in for a fiver, but I want a Pro, not a way-to-tiny Air. ;)

guytoronto
May 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
So I was thinking that everyone loves a little dab in the game of chance and thought about how much we love Macs on here, so why not have a Mac lottery!

Somehow, possibly through Paypal, people would pay say 5 bucks a ticket. The money would go into a pot to buy a, say a new Macbook. There would be enough tickets to sum the amount a macbook would cost.

Any such lottery would be HIGHLY ILLEGAL under Canadian law unless you got a gaming license (like they do for school raffles and bingo halls).

HowEver
May 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Why not raise money for a registered charity instead?

lookitsmarc
May 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Any such lottery would be HIGHLY ILLEGAL under Canadian law unless you got a gaming license (like they do for school raffles and bingo halls).

And here I was thinking it was only regularly illegal.

Is it any different if there is no one profiting from the draw (besides the winner of course)? Is this different from a betting on sports with a (large) group of friends?

I did find this document:
http://www.abgaminginstitute.ualberta.ca/pdfs/Gambling_in_Canada.pdf

It says "Private bets between individuals who are not engaged in the business of betting is permitted under Section 204 of the Criminal Code".

CanadaRAM
May 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Well, it's not very private, now, being on the intertubes an' all...

You can GIVE something away by random draw, but any giveaway that involves consideration being paid by the entrants is a lottery - no matter whether for profit or not - and is strictly regulated.

Adrian.
May 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
I think, I may be wrong, but that figure is 5,000 dollars. Under that you need n license. My sister ran a silent auction and a lottery type thing for a fundraiser and I know the teacher was getting antsy because they had to stay under a certain dollar figure or else the OLG had to be involved.

If we were to make some sort of charity out of this, if need be, something could be done so that say 1% of revenues went to supporting ehmac.

I will look tonight for that figure and post it.

Happy days

CanadaRAM
May 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
I think, I may be wrong, but that figure is 5,000 dollars. Under that you need n license. My sister ran a silent auction and a lottery type thing for a fundraiser and I know the teacher was getting antsy because they had to stay under a certain dollar figure or else the OLG had to be involved.

If we were to make some sort of charity out of this, if need be, something could be done so that say 1% of revenues went to supporting ehmac.

I will look tonight for that figure and post it.

Happy days
Different provinces have different laws, but I think in BC there is no lower limit. Our local Rose club couldn't have a 50-50 draw at the door, legally, for $10 in price money.

I can't see it being free and clear up to $5K --- that would invite all kinds of scams and abuses. More likely, the event had a lottery license, but over $5K it had to have a different manner of license or oversight.

I can say with 100% confidence that an ehMac lottery of any size would break some law somewhere in Canada. Its a dead idea, unfortunately.