: iMac Question

nutsngum
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Just a quick question since I'm planning on picking up a new iMac.

Is the RAM and HD upgradable easily after purchase (like a Macbook) or is it extremely difficult to do so?

Also, am I going to notice a huge difference between the 2.8ghz and the 3.0ghz processor, and the two video card options?

Any help would be great - thanks!

bullymac
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Ram is very easy to upgrade... two screws and slide in the ram... for a HD upgrade you can easily use an external... which you need for Time Machine anyway. Good Luck with your purchase and welcome to the easier world of Apple.

chas_m
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Is the RAM and HD upgradable easily after purchase (like a Macbook) or is it extremely difficult to do so?

Ram, easy.

HD, not easy and you can't do it without violating the warranty.

As mentioned above, you can use all the externals you want. A better option, IMHO.

Also, am I going to notice a huge difference between the 2.8ghz and the 3.0ghz processor, and the two video card options?

Depends highly on what you're going to do with it. If you play high-end games all day, then the video card will make a difference. If not, it won't.

As for the processor, I think RAM generally plays a bigger role than processor in most uses but there are a few exceptions. For normal use, no the difference will not be significant.

machael
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
i picked one of these up on my lunch break and although i'm only reiterating here the ram is simple to upgrade. one screw (the only one) on the bottom of the display and you have access to the slots.

ruffdeezy
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Here's a demo
YouTube - Bleeding Edge TV 178: iMac RAM Upgrade On The Cheap! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glki-cEICpo)

Adrian.
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
i picked one of these up on my lunch break and although i'm only reiterating here the ram is simple to upgrade. one screw (the only one) on the bottom of the display and you have access to the slots.

You picked up an iMac on your lunch break? Geez man have some restraint.

....just kidding.

machael
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM
lugging this beast around all day, including on the subway and go train, was a small price to pay XX)

i'm sure my appendages will hate me for it tomorrow.

HowEver
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
lugging this beast around all day, including on the subway and go train, was a small price to pay XX)

Ouch, how exactly were you carrying it? ......

machael
May 1st, 2008, 12:11 AM
just by the plastic top handle but it's 25lbs. in a gigantic, awkward box up/down the dundas and union station subway stairs. then i had to lug it back to union once i was done work to catch the go train home.

on the plus side i set it down in the aisle between the 4 seats so no one else could sit near me :D

jeepguy
May 1st, 2008, 09:16 AM

Do they have the new ones in stock at the Stores ?

machael
May 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
they did at the apple store in the eaton centre in toronto.
the lady said the new models were flying off the shelves!

Eidetic
May 1st, 2008, 10:52 AM
can i use 667mhz sdram sodimm in the new imacs??

can you mix and match 800mhz and 667mhz ram?

minnes
May 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
can i use 667mhz sdram sodimm in the new imacs??

can you mix and match 800mhz and 667mhz ram?

NO!
the new ones use 800 Mhz Ram, so Im sure the old stuff won't work.

BlueMax
May 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
NO!
the new ones use 800 Mhz Ram, so Im sure the old stuff won't work.

I disagree - it should work, just at reduced performance. It has on every platform up until now, why should it be different?

Oh... I missed the mix-n-match part. It's never a good idea to mix RAM speeds/types. :(

minnes
May 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
I useed to work at a PC shop that back in the day would put in 100Mhz sticks in 133 boxes,slowing them down.
Sometimes they would work, sometimes not, but why would you cripple your new Mac?
Also mixing Ram is sometimes flukey, but again it will slow it down to the slowest type, if it works, and it might not.

bgw
May 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
The difference in CPU speed with be unnoticeable for the most part. If you are doing 3D rendering, or compiling big programs you might notice it.

Upping your RAM will be noticed.

If you are into high end games, or doing 3D rendering of scenes in Maya, the video card upgrade will be very noticeable too. Otherwise, for watching video, web surfing and word processing the video card upgrade will not be noticed.

My first upgrade would be to increase the amount of RAM.

nutsngum
May 3rd, 2008, 02:44 AM
So what type of ram exactly does the iMac use?

machael
May 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

fyrefly
May 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

200 Pin SODIMMS

iJohnHenry
May 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM

I felt your pain, and I only had to go from the Yorkdale store to my car (furthest spot I could find.)

jeepguy
May 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I was at the apple store on the weekend, and I was trying to see the difference between the 20 and 24 screens, I brought my own pictures on a flash drive, I could not tell the difference, is there a trick to spotting it. the sales guy was no help, he said there is no problem. I know I should see banding in areas like the sky.

fyrefly
May 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Try looking at the screens from an Off angle. (to the right or left, from above, from below). The 20" screens will discolour much quicker, (they should have 160degree viewing angles, whereas the 24"ers have 178 degree viewing angles - AFAIK).