: Making videos

winwintoo
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hi, I want to make some video instructions for some craft things I do - there are a gazillion such videos on YouTube, but I do some unique things and would like to record them to share with friends who can't come here for instructions.

I have a MacBook, a digital camera that can shoot .avi, I could borrow a digital video camera.

My problem is that while doing the craft, my hands get out of the range of the camera lens so I would like to be able to watch what I'm doing on a bigger screen while I'm doing it so I can make sure I stay in the picture.

I guess in a perfect world, I'd have a cameraman to keep me in the picture, but nobody has volunteered and I'd prefer to do it by myself.

So does anyone know how I can hook a camera to the computer or tv so I can see it while it's happening?

Suggest whatever you know works, if I don't have the tools, I'll get them.

Thanks, Margaret

a7mc
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Well to answer your question, if you can borrow a digital video camera, it will have a plug to hook up to your TV.

Depending on what you're doing (if it's a one shot deal or not) I'd recommend doing several takes. Shoot your video with a wide angle to get your whole body in frame so you can explain what you're doing, then redo the exact same thing with a close up on your hands (or whatever you're doing). Then you can cut back and forth in iMovie and make it look way better.

A7

lyonsnet
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Margaret,

I use an older Canon DV camera, Canon ZR50 to be exact.

With this camera, and I'm sure almost all DV camera's would be the same, I can either plug it into a TV and watch what it's recording, or the small LCD screen can flip over, so whoever is being recorded can see themselves in the screen.

I mainly use this feature because the kids like to see themselves as they're being recorded :)

I don't have a regular digital camera that can take Video (I use SLR), so I don't know if a digital camera, while taking video, can be plugged into a TV or not.

Cheers,

Macified
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Using a borrowed digital video camera is your best option. Rather than watching on a tv while recording, why not just plug it into your mac and watch on the computer screen while recording directly into iMovie (saves the steps of rewinding and importing into iMovie later).

You can still do multiple takes. The only limitation in this scenario is your available hard drive space as the recording will take lots of space until it is edited down and exported.

Good luck.

winwintoo
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Well to answer your question, if you can borrow a digital video camera, it will have a plug to hook up to your TV.

Depending on what you're doing (if it's a one shot deal or not) I'd recommend doing several takes. Shoot your video with a wide angle to get your whole body in frame so you can explain what you're doing, then redo the exact same thing with a close up on your hands (or whatever you're doing). Then you can cut back and forth in iMovie and make it look way better.

A7

Thank you A7 - for some reason I haven't ever used iMovie and who knew it was that easy. I used the iSight on my MacBook to try making a video the other day and I think that might be the best option for what I want to do. Being able to edit it is the big thing. Can I add voice over in iMovie - I know rtfm.

This won't be going anywhere except to my friend so it won't be too professional, just wanted to know what to use.

Take care, Margaret

winwintoo
Apr 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks lyonsnet, that might be the same camera that my son has - will see if I can borrow it and try it out.

And thanks Macified, good to know about recording directly into iMovie. My MacBook it still pretty empty - 119 GB free, so I should be good for at least one take.

I'm getting excited now.

Margaret

chas_m
Apr 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Can I add voice over in iMovie - I know rtfm.

Yes. And yes. :)

keebler27
Apr 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Margaret,

Does your Macbook have an isight? If so, there's a little program that you can buy which will record your webcam sessions? You could put the laptop near you, record and as long as the macbook is far enough back, your hands should be visible.

The software is conference recorder. It costs, but the benefit is that you don't have to worry about transferring the footage and compressing it - the software does that already for you.

Cheers,
Keebler

PS. sorry...I did the big no no and didn't read all the posts. trying to do too much at once :) you do have an isight. try conference recorder...it's your best bet (unless you want to make a DVD).

winwintoo
May 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm doing a happy dance. I got the video camera to record directly into iMovie and who knew it would be so easy. iMovie recognized the camera directly and all I had to figure out was that the camera works better if it's turned on :D

Now I just have to prepare a bit of a script, set up a quiet place to record and I'm all set.

Thanks again for your help.

Margaret

Macified
May 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Excellent. It is all coming together as foretold.