: Vintage Video Card 7100 Recommendations

Lichen Software
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Just picked up a 400 MHz G3 for my 7100, but I do not have a PDS pass through to use the existing PDS video card. So I need to pick up a nubus card for this one.

Before I go to Ebay - Recommendations or anyone have a card they want to get rid of.

In particular, if there is a good quality one that has a VGA output, that would be great.

Trevor...
Apr 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Any NuBus card will work with the 7100 - although most are very limited in their capabilities. 256 colours, 640x480 etc.

Do you have an HDI-45 adaptor to use the onboard video? That would be likely superiour to any easily available NuBus card.

Lichen Software
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Any NuBus card will work with the 7100 - although most are very limited in their capabilities. 256 colours, 640x480 etc.

Do you have an HDI-45 adaptor to use the onboard video? That would be likely superiour to any easily available NuBus card.

Actually there are a fair number that will do 24 bit colour up to the 800 x 600 + resolution. I just do not know how well they wil do it or if they will suport a VGA monitor without an adaptor. A good summary of nubus cards is located here:

http://lowendmac.com/video/index.html#rad

I do have the HDI-45 adaptor, but that is using the on board video using system memory if I remember correctly. Connection to the PDS video card is through the DB-15. This is one of the few machines that came ready for two monitors out of the box.

There is also the issue of 7" versus 12" nubus cards. I am not sure if the 7100 will support the larger cards.

Some of the nubus cards will not work on a 7100 - They are 68xx processor cards only. I know that some will work if you flash them. I remember doing that at one time.

Dave

Trevor...
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I didn't say they don't exist - but there are a thousand of the useless 8 bit cards out there for each of the premium ones. We had Radius cards in our Quadra 800's and Power Macintosh 8100's that drove 21" monitors.

I don't believe the 1MB of VRAM is shared,

Rob
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM
The Gamba site still has a few functioning links to video drivers and other info.

Gamba Site for Video (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egamba2/vid-mon-matrix.html#3rd)

I know I've used Supermac cards and Radius cards in my old 7100, but they did have their quirks. The drivers were old and didn't often play nice with OS8.1.

It's been so long now that I forget what models I was using. An original Apple card from a IIci might also work, but I can't remember for sure.