: experience with Time Capsule?

rebekahqc
Apr 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Anyone out there have Time Capsule? Would you review it for us please. Thanks,

HowEver
Apr 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I couldn't be happier with it.

Is there a particular aspect in which you were interested?

ShawnKing
Apr 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Anyone out there have Time Capsule? Would you review it for us please. Thanks,
Here is Macworld's review:
Time Capsule (4 mice) (http://www.macworld.com/article/132627/2008/03/timecapsule.html)

Andrew Pratt
Apr 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
It does what you'd expect...ie it works perfectly, is fast and well there's not much else to say really.

teeterboy3
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
The drive died on my 1TB about a week after receiving it. I called support, and had a replacement model the next day. Since then, everything has worked perfectly (knock on wood).

MACinist
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Everything is good after the software update (a month ago). Before that, it was paper-weight. I did have to backup from scratch once a couple weeks ago because of some error I can't remember. But aside from that, works flawlessly.

VertiGoGo
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I bought the 500GB version about two weeks ago to backup my MacBook and Mac mini and I have been having a number of really frustrating problems.

While my Mac mini backed up just fine, my MacBook has been acting up ever since I installed the Time Capsule software and failed to backup. Safari also now takes forever to load websites. Each page appears to start loading, then it stops for about 5-10 seconds with the coloured beach ball spinning and then it loads.

As for my MacBook, specifically, I had three sudden crashes that brought up a multilingual error message telling me to restart my Mac. This happened each time I had tried to get Time Capsule to backup the MacBook. I had been getting an error message saying that it couldn't get the backup file to mount properly (or something similar).

The difficulties became so bad that I just turned Time Capsule off on my MacBook, because I didn't want the headaches any longer. I tried a number of reboots (the non-forced kind) and that didn't help.

Anyone know what gives?

chas_m
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I bought the 500GB version about two weeks ago to backup my MacBook and Mac mini and I have been having a number of really frustrating problems.

While my Mac mini backed up just fine, my MacBook has been acting up ever since I installed the Time Capsule software

This is called "Time Machine" and you didn't need to install anything -- it was already present on your Mac before you bought the Time Capsule.

Safari also now takes forever to load websites. Each page appears to start loading, then it stops for about 5-10 seconds with the coloured beach ball spinning and then it loads.

As for my MacBook, specifically, I had three sudden crashes that brought up a multilingual error message telling me to restart my Mac.

It sounds like you have somehow misinstalled something causing great system instability. What you are describing is a kernel panic and it's meant to be an exceedingly rare phenomena.

I would suggest an archive and install to refresh the system. I would suggest not re-installing any software that came with the Time Capsule, just let the Time Machine software that already resides on your Mac do its thing this time.

This happened each time I had tried to get Time Capsule to backup the MacBook.

For future reference, the Time Capsule is a hardware device. Time Machine is the software you use to back up to it.

wslctrc
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Bought the 500gig version and haven't had a problem. I backup two Imacs and a macbook with no conflicts. Even when we are surfing (wired Imacs or wireless laptops) we have no problems when time capsule kicks in. Two thumbs up. JMPO

machael
May 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
i bought a 1TB time capsule today and i'm so pleased with it. setup/install was effortless.

hell, running the ethernet cable (for the initial backup; no way i was doing that via wi-fi) was the only pain but that really has nothing to do with the hardware itself.

i never intended to use time machine (i'd planned on using my G4 as a backup box) but i had switched ISPs today (NO MORE HELL CANADA! beejacon) and some technical issues made it so that i had to use a router so i figured i'd get a time capsule and get the most out of leopard. no regrets here!

Phat Bastard
May 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
My 500 GB Time Capsule is a thing of beauty. I love it. No problems whatsoever.

I love never having to worry about backups again (at least until it runs out of space, then I would attach an external hard drive via USB connection).

corey111
May 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Are many people just using it as a wireless hard drive? and not so much for backup?

HowEver
May 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Are many people just using it as a wireless hard drive? and not so much for backup?

Wireless backup, done out of sight by Time Machine. Effortless.

pictor
May 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
I had some very flaky issues with it at first, with it seeming to freeze up and become unresponsive. Amber light on the front, and it just didn't show up in airport utilty (despite having a network cable connection directly to it). This happened probably 6 or 7 times in my first week. Called support, and they sent me a new one.

Literally, from the time I hung up the phone, until now.....it's worked perfectly. I ended up not even using the replacement, as the replacement looked refurbished (a few tiny cracks on the back made me suspicious), and didn't want to deal with reconfiguring my security controls, zeroing the old drive, and making a time machine backup.

It continues to work flawlessly to this day. *shrug*. Part thinks it's related to an issue I had getting my airport express to connect to the router (I had forgotten to add the MAC address of the express to my security permissions), and I still wonder whether the express' attempts to connect, and fail, caused the time capsule to crash.

pictor
May 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM

Not so easy to do actually. By default, it doesn't show up as a hard drive. It's a dedicate time machine destination, and can't (officially out of the box anyways) be used as just a hard drive.

Phat Bastard
May 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Not so easy to do actually. By default, it doesn't show up as a hard drive. It's a dedicate time machine destination, and can't (officially out of the box anyways) be used as just a hard drive.

I disagree. My Time Capsule mounts as a shared drive and I can easily copy files to and from it, just like any other mount point. So it performs my Time Machine backups and provides storage for any other files I want.

I didn't have to tweak any settings to get the TC to mount as a drive, at least I think..

billwong
May 3rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I put a Time Capsule into an existing network setup. I cloned the settings from the primary Airport Base Station (Gigabit Ethernet, N) which was used as the router/DHCP server. I replaced it with the new Time Capsule. Then things slowed down. The Internet was slow and we had problems sending emails out (smtp errors?). I replaced the Time Capsule with the original Base Station, and things were back to normal. This happened despite cloning the settings. I haven't found out why this was happening yet.

I added the Time Capsule to the network as an additonal Switch and Backup HD (wireless off and not as a DHCP server), this works fine for my Time Machine backups for our wireless clients.

There is probably some tweaking to be done in the settings to make it work, but it is unfortunate that it couldn't just replace the existing primary Base Station.

HowEver
May 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Why did you clone the settings? Why not just set up the Time Machine from scratch, as prompted by Airport Utility? It takes about 30 seconds. The only thing that differs from previous generations is that Time Machine wants to be called a "bridge" if you go through a cable or DSL router first. Maybe that (caution, technical term follows) threw things out of whack.

I put a Time Capsule into an existing network setup. I cloned the settings from the primary Airport Base Station (Gigabit Ethernet, N) which was used as the router/DHCP server. I replaced it with the new Time Capsule. Then things slowed down. The Internet was slow and we had problems sending emails out (smtp errors?). I replaced the Time Capsule with the original Base Station, and things were back to normal. This happened despite cloning the settings. I haven't found out why this was happening yet.

I added the Time Capsule to the network as an additonal Switch and Backup HD (wireless off and not as a DHCP server), this works fine for my Time Machine backups for our wireless clients.

There is probably some tweaking to be done in the settings to make it work, but it is unfortunate that it couldn't just replace the existing primary Base Station.

psxp
May 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Anyone using it for Windows and Mac OS backups?

billwong
May 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Why did you clone the settings? Why not just set up the Time Machine from scratch, as prompted by Airport Utility? It takes about 30 seconds. The only thing that differs from previous generations is that Time Machine wants to be called a "bridge" if you go through a cable or DSL router first. Maybe that (caution, technical term follows) threw things out of whack.

I initially wanted to switch base stations - change to a Time Capsule. So the settings for the internet/wireless/router would be the same. It seemed to be easier to just copy the settings and import to the new Time Machine.

Now that I have the Time Capsule on the network, but not acting as a DHCP server nor wireless node, it is in Bridge Mode. This is working fine.

This did bring up a point about having Time Capsule do everything, versus separate units. When my Time Capsule was acting up and needed fine tuning in its settings, the entire network suffered. Now that my regular Base Station is acting as the Router/DHCP server, the network is running fine. I can take the Time Capsule off line without interrupting the entire network.

My Time Capsule is serving as backup for the MacBooks. Most desktops have their own external HD for Time Machine backups (faster, more secure?). The desktops that don't have crucial data will also use the Time Capsule for backups.