: Soliciting the help of Video Editors

macmac
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hi people,

A fellow co-worker of mine burned a tv documentary show (for public viewing), onto a DVD. It was all done on a windows machine.

Anyhow, here is the problem.

The volume is really low. I need to have the volume on the tv at maximum and even then, there needs to be absolute quietness in order to hear it.

Is there anything I can do in imovie or imovie(2006) or any other program to fix this? To pump up the volume somehow?

Thanks

P.S...i'm not experienced with Final Cut in any way.

Rampant AV
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I know you can boost the volume in iMovie 08. But not sure about 06 and below?

zarquon
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM
for iMovie HD (06)
you'll have to rip the DVD, import it into iMovie and then select the track and use the volume slider on the bottom. I don't remember if it does 110% or 150%, but you can get a boost there.

After that, you'll need to export the audio track out to something else to boost the level. At this point though, the audio quality will start to show some degradation. Is there no chance to get the original files from the guy that did it on windows? or the original source that he used? I'm guessing that he had the record level really low when he imported the file???

Z.

macmac
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM
for iMovie HD (06)
you'll have to rip the DVD, import it into iMovie and then select the track and use the volume slider on the bottom. I don't remember if it does 110% or 150%, but you can get a boost there.

After that, you'll need to export the audio track out to something else to boost the level. At this point though, the audio quality will start to show some degradation. Is there no chance to get the original files from the guy that did it on windows? or the original source that he used? I'm guessing that he had the record level really low when he imported the file???

Z.

Yeah he probably had the volume on the t.v low while recording/importing it to his winbox. This was the only copy he has. I have imovie 08 as well, but i find it's a pain to use. Would I be able to do anything within garageband?

eggman
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
If you have a legitimate copy of iMovie 08 Apple will allow you to download a copy of iMovie 06 for nothing here:

Apple - Support - Downloads - iMovie HD 6 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html)

This is what I've used to adjust volume levels in the past - I don't know how far you'll get without distortion (depends a lot on your current levels I'd guess), but it is straightforward enough that I didn't need to read the manual to try it in this version.