: Look how damn cheap mobile plans are in the US!

Adrian.
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous! I was paying about 60 bucks at Rogers and I data was not even treaded on. They get unlimited!

Apple - iPhone - Rate Plans for iPhone (http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html)

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
a post like this is really unnecessary...we know their prices are low and it only reminds us that the May bill is coming and we'll once again all have to pull our pants down and bend over...

Adrian.
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I also have to bend over as well. I am just ranting.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Rant On!...we are certainly getting juiced...seems we care more about throttling then not getting robbed every month...

Elric
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Only 200 Text messages!??!?! And no Picture messaging!? <----unless that is of course part of Unlimited Data.

acc30
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM
one of the reason is that in the canadian market, there is a lack of competition. we have bell, telus, fido (but even this is owned by rogers) and rogers as our main providers. There's a new one, forgot the name of it though, (starts with a k?) that i saw 2 weeks ago and virgin.

The more providers there are, the more rogers will have to compete and lower their prices or include more in their packages.

It's all about the usage and demand of people too. I remember when I had unlimited local and international text messaging for additional $5 or $10 with fido, great to keep contact with my family back home. But now, with everyone using text messaging, I have to pay 25 cents for international texting and pay extra for my local text messaging :/

adagio
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Those rate plans are what Apple has been fighting for on our behalf. I don't understand the complaints from US customers who whined about being tied to one carrier. Apple did those folks a HUGE favour.

Prior to the iPhone deal, ATT&T pricing was not unlike our beloved Rogers. After the huge success of the iPhone launch, other carriers in the US have since lowered their outrageous rates.

The Doug
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
...There's a new one, forgot the name of it though, (starts with a k?)...

Koodoo, which is a Telus brand if I'm not mistaken.

HowEver
Apr 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
There's a new one, forgot the name of it though, (starts with a k?) that i saw 2 weeks ago and virgin.

You forget the name of it, with all that annoying advertising? Have you been out of the country? Sheesh, I wish I could turn that commercial-in-my-head off like that.

acc30
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
You forget the name of it, with all that annoying advertising? Have you been out of the country? Sheesh, I wish I could turn that commercial-in-my-head off like that.

I actually have been out of the country :) just got back from london UK last night, and I dont' watch as much tv as I use to, as well. So I haven't seen a single ad, just the booth when I was getting ready to leave for london. By the sound of it, I wouldn't want to see any.

20DDan
Apr 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM
What may bill are you guys talking about? The one you say we'll have to bend over... n such?!?

Joker Eh
Apr 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Rant On!...we are certainly getting juiced...seems we care more about throttling then not getting robbed every month...

I always wondered why that is.:confused:

Joker Eh
Apr 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The more providers there are, the more rogers will have to compete and lower their prices or include more in their packages./

This is not always true. Competition does not always charge lower rates. Have not seen Bell home phone service drop in price. When Virgin and Fido came into town did rates drop?

machael
Apr 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Koodoo, which is a Telus brand if I'm not mistaken.

Just Koodo. ;)

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
What may bill are you guys talking about? The one you say we'll have to bend over... n such?!?

? Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not but I'll take the bait...I'll have to add some sarcasm of my own just in case. 80)

Most, if not all cell carriers charge you a monthly rate... "May" is a month in the calendar and consequently is the next month in the calendar. I will surely receive a bill in May, unless the cell phone fairy takes it before I get my hands on it...

I will open said bill, scroll down to the "Wireless" section. I can't speak from experience but would think that having to pay the amount listed in this "Wireless" section would be much like having my pants pulled down and... well, you can fill the rest in yourself... :D

acc30
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM
This is not always true. Competition does not always charge lower rates. Have not seen Bell home phone service drop in price. When Virgin and Fido came into town did rates drop?

true Bell hasn't lowered rates, but keep in mind Bell has a good hold on the market in general, even without its wireless. A lot of businesses, not sure if it holds true still for residents, use Bell for their phone/internet needs and now even cable for residents with their bundles, so wireless isn't their main thing. But I have seen them include wireless to their bundles recently.

I know people who stick with Bell even though it costs more, but because it's what they had all along and trusts its service. I don't know as many people having cell phone carriers with Bell, most people I know are mostly Rogers, Fido or Telus.

Bell doesn't rely only their wireless to generate business, unlike Telus or Virgin, at least in my perspective.

joemulder
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
we get the new $7 from rogers, right?
don't know the base of the plan..I mean the cheapest call plan..