: Shut down?

Buckette
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I've owned my macbook for about a year. I was just playing some flash games when it shut down on me for no reason. It's never done anything like that. I turned it on again and it was fine for about twenty minutes, then it shut down AGAIN. So far it hasn't done it a third time...any ideas why this is happening? What I can check out?

Thanks.

Oh and I'm basically a computer noob, so if you use big words please tell me what they mean. :)

Sitting Bull
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Welcome aboard,
Sorry I cant help you. I as well am a newbie, but I like to think I am part of the welcoming party.
I am sure someone will be by to help you out.
S.B.

Buckette
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Oh okay, thanks anyway S.B. So far so good, it hasn't shut down again! :D

Could it have something to do with me being on Safari before and now I'm using Firefox?

johnb1
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
oh, man, that's gotta be annoying...
I don't know what model of macbook you have, so I can't give you much advice
run software update...oh, and maybe run disk Utility and repair permissions. MacJanitor and Hazel are helpful too....
\
hope this does something good

John B

Buckette
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Mac OS X
Ver. 10.4.11

What's disk Utility and repair permissions?

What do MacJanitor and Hazel do?

Thanks johnb1 :D

monokitty
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I hope you have warranty - the only randomly shutting down MacBooks I've ever encountered had defective logic boards.

Buckette
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Is it normal that the logic board would start acting up a year after I've owned the lap top though?

eMacMan
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Is it normal that the logic board would start acting up a year after I've owned the lap top though?

Normal? Absolutely not. Possible? Yes!

Since it is a laptop it is quite possible that your battery needed charging. You did not mention whether you were running off of AC or battery.

Buckette
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Since my last post it's shut down three times.

I have it plugged in and it's been charging. I know it's not the battery running out.

monokitty
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Get it to an Apple Store or AASP for a proper diagnosis. It's definitely not software-related, so you're looking at a hardware problem.

Buckette
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Okay...do you have any idea how much time it would take to get it fixed if it is a logic board problem? Am I risking losing my files?

monokitty
Apr 27th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Okay...do you have any idea how much time it would take to get it fixed if it is a logic board problem? Am I risking losing my files?

Your files are more than likely safe if the hard drive isn't affected. As per the cost - the part, labor, and taxes on top of those two are borderline to that of a new MacBook...

Breathe easy as you contemplate that thought.

Call Apple Customer Relations (Canada) if you're out of warranty - they can some times make exceptions or lower your overall cost in getting repaired. Be firm, but don't become angry with them.

jamesB
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM
any ideas why this is happening? What I can check out?

Thanks.

Oh and I'm basically a computer noob, so if you use big words please tell me what they mean. :)
It could be shutting down because of high temperature, over time the innards including the fan will lose the ability to cool because of dust collection.
Apple laptops are designed to shut themselves down on too high a temperature for self protection.
Does the computer feel warmer then usual?

jb.

eMacMan
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
NOTE: For very worst case scenario (replacing the laptop) you can pull the HD and put it in an inexpensive external case. That will allow transfer to the new laptop and also provide a back-up HD.

Another Note: With laptops in particular, I would recommend purchasing AppleCare. They do suffer through more abuse than desktops even in the gentlest hands.

cap10subtext
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
The only things I'd suggest checking out at the same time are possible loose battery and loose RAM. If all seems well there, it's entirely likely you have defective hardware. I hope some of the suggestions (Lars = mac guru) are helpful in dealing with Apple.

chas_m
Apr 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I second Lars' opinion on this, but since you never mentioned it -- were the fans running when this happened? Overheating is a much more common cause for such shutdowns than faulty logic board, so check your air vents for dust or anything that could be clogging them (aka cat hair) before assuming the worst.

jamesB
Apr 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I second Lars' opinion on this,

Which opinion are you seconding, the part about his files being safe or about the cost of repairs?

jb.

chas_m
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah, sorry, that wasn't too clear was it?

I meant that I generally agree with Lars all around ... it could be a logic-board issue, and that the files on the HD are generally fine if in fact it does turn out to be a logic board issue. Repeated sudden shutdowns can corrupt the directory, but it's nothing Disk Warrior wouldn't be able to fix.

Buckette
Apr 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thank you all so much! It didn't shut down yesterday, so I'm going to hope it was the fan even though it didn't feel exceptionally warm. I'll clean the vents and see if the problems stops entirely.

Here's hoping I never have to post about this again! :D

joemulder
Apr 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
yeah,,call apple care, see what they say
doesn't sounds good