: Maxtor ONe Touch III 500GB FW

Griz
Apr 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM
O.K.

So I just purchased one of the 500GB FW hard drives that Tigerdirect has on for 99 bucks.

I was going to buy two, one for TC and one for general storage of files (photos, music, movies, etc.), but I thought better and got one to see how it would work.

So I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with this model of drive? I've seen some mixed reviews on it (some just scared me!) - but the price is certainly right.

When I get the thing I plan on formatting it to Mac (journaled), then hooking up via the 800 and moving a large chunk of my storage from my iMac to it.

Later, I'm going to get a top quality (read expensive) external drive for TC backups and further storage.

But for now - I guess I'm just wondering of other's experiences with this drive?

hinrich
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
To sum my experience up: HORRIBLE! I started using the "OneTouch III FW400/USB 2.0" for my G4 MDD and I was limited to using Maxtor's crappy OneTouch Manager software so I put it in the closet. Then I got a new Macbook Core2 duo and guess what? IT DIDN'T RECOGNIZE IT!!!

I tried to use Maxtor's MacIntel updater since the software didn't like the intel processor on the mac and I had no luck. Trust me I spent HOURS online looking for a solution. Some suggested formatting it on the PC and neither of the PCs I tried didnt' recognize it.

So, I was so ticked off and frustrated, I voided the warranty by ripping the casing apart to get the drive out. Turns out it's a Barracuda 7200.10 Ultra ATA/100 750GB Hard Drive which can be found here (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Barracuda_7200.10_750.1_GB&vgnextoid=445f99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a32a2f290c5fb010VgnVCM100000dd04090a RCRD&reqPage=Model)

Apparently it will work in my G4 so when I get a chance, I'm going to try and stick it in. I'll post a followup to let you know how it works.

All I can say is, they should have named it "Fort Knox". Don't buy it if you want to use it as a regular external drive. :mad:

fyrefly
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Why do you need special software for the drive to function? Shouldn't it just show up in Finder and/or Disk Utility? Format it to HFS+ and then be on your way. I've never once needed special software for any external hard drive.

Kirtland
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I have been using a Maxtor One Touch (250 GB) for over a year with no issues. As fyrefly mentioned, it was plug and play out of the box with my 24" intel iMac. I haven't needed software for external drives for quite some time, if it didn't show up in the finder immediately, I accessed it with Disk Utility.

CanadaRAM
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Some customers have had issues withit he OneTouch drives. One problem is if the drive fails, you cannot open it to doo data recovery from the disk, because that voids the warranty. So even if the case failed and the drive's still OK,, you have to ditch the warranty to get your data back.

I generally recommend going with a good quality external case, and installing the hard drive mechanism of your choice. That way you get maximum flexibility and the full manufacturer's warranty on the mechanism (3 years or 5 years)

Griz
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, all this is why I'm not so keen on my purchase of the Maxtor One Touch III 500GB from Tigerdirect.... :(

I'm more interested in what you guys think of a 1TB FW800 drive like listed above.

Thanks for your Maxtor experiences though (although you're fueling my angst!.....Ahhhhhh!)

Cheers!

Carl
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Works OK for me. You don't have to install any software for them to work though.

EvanPitts
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I prefer a drive that does not have any of the backup nonsense built in. There are excellent backup programs available for OSX, and really, using the Finder and dragging files to the drive works s entirely well.

You can daisy chain three drives on Firewire, so you could have two separate drive units on the same bus with no problem. As for brand, your mileage may vary, and even the best quality can fail, and the worst quality be adequate. I have two of the Seagate Free Agent Pro units, both working fine. I also have a Maxtor drive in a cheap external case - and it works fine as well, though it is a bit noisier overall.

You should not worry too much about it. Prices are very competitive these days, so you can save some cash if you wait for a sale. And they are flexible. I have a small case for an old 4GB drive that was salvaged from a laptop, and even though it is small in capacity, I use it frequently for swapping files around various systems. Perhaps it is the most used drive I have, well, next to the big Seagate that has my iTunes libraries on it...

smashedbanana
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have 2 hooked up to AL iMacs with Firewire 800. Reformated them with HFS+ and they are working without a hitch. I do not use the onetouch function, and never have. I've had nothing but great experiences with Maxtor external drives all the way back to the 3000dv 60gb I have somewhere...

Ed

chas_m
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I see no reason why, once formatted, they wouldn't work fine.

I am generally kind of leery of Maxtor drives, having had a couple fail on me over the years ... but time and component suppliers change, so previous experiences don't always predict future behaviour.

hinrich
May 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Why do you need special software for the drive to function? Shouldn't it just show up in Finder and/or Disk Utility? Format it to HFS+ and then be on your way. I've never once needed special software for any external hard drive.

You would think. I believe the software is embedded into the interface chip that the drive is mounted into (Im not technical so please forgive my poor use of terminology) It did work on my G4 MDD for a while but then it came up as "Corrupted" or something like that. I can't remember how, but I managed to get it to show up in Disk Utility. I reformatted it and it worked fine, but still could not mount it on my macbook.

hayesk
May 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I don't know why people insist on using the garbage software that comes with drives. It's just a hard drive - reformat it to HFS+ and be done with it.

I do have a word of advice for any drive. When you connect it, Get Info on the drive and be sure to uncheck "Ignore Permissions on this volume", especially if you plan on cloning your startup drive. People often forget that until it's too late.

I just bought one of these drives too but haven't set it up yet. It's larger than I would have liked, not like LaCie's Porsche drives.

Griz
May 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Ok so I got the Maxtor today.

It supposedly came as formatted already but I ran DU on it anyway.

I partitioned the whole thing (1partition) as GUID and then erased it with 0's

It's now OS Extended (journaled) and I'm loading it up.

I have to say the 800 cable in the box looks very...cheap! I might replace that...

It's quiet so far and working well. Not hot at all.

I might turn that damned light away - the blinking is drivinggggmee me nntsut...nuts......

I'm not sure what the button is for on the front (I've appropriately installed the software in box in the closet!).

One thing I didn't count on - I'M OUT OF POWER OUTLETS!!!! Talk about forgetting the simple...sheesh!

Anyway I've still got my mind on a 1TB more...reliable brand?? (LaCie, MyBook, or OWC). It will have to be FW800 though although at that point this Maxtor gets' relegated to the FW400 or USB (cripes I forgot does it have a FW400?...Oh well)

I'll let folks know if it's as much a dud as the reviews were talking about.

if it hasn't tanked or melted in 4 weeks - I'm guessing it will be fine (X fingers).

Cheers and thanks for all who chimed in.

Back to the blinking light....sigh...

PierreB
May 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Had some Maxtor drives in the past (2) - lasted about 12-18 months each. Stay away from their software and use either Time Machine, SuperDuper or CopyCloner.

Have been using a couple of MyBook drives for back up (one to Time Machine and the other to SuperDuper) - working fine for the past 18 months.

As one of my engineering friends tells me: "The question is not if a hard drive will fail but WHEN".

Griz
Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Ok well here's the update after a month of use.

I had the drive on the 800 connection and it really did smoke, but since then I've purchased a LaCie 1TB big disk with the triple interface which I now have hooked to the 800. I've relegated the Maxtor to the 400 now and it still is doing well.

It's essentially quiet. I store most of my video and movie stuff on there and it feeds the machine quite well without any hiccups. Temperature is fine, no problems with it whatsoever.

I hate the freaking light on the front of it though!!!! Damn blinking light!

Now that I've posted this however, I'm sure it will crash asap.

* I don't leave it on constantly - typically I turn it off when not in use (mostly because of the DAMN BLINKING LIGHT!). No problems with it mounting or ejecting (except of course when i hit the power too quick then I get the message).

The LaCie I purchased is pretty damned nice though and storage size aside, I think I prefer that drive. I got the LAST ONE in New Brunswick since Futile shop decided not to sell them anymore (despite the speed at which they were sold!).

All in all I'd take the LaCie over the Maxtor any day but golly gee what a surprise taking the Lexus over the Ford!

No problems at all with either drive. I partitioned the 1TB LaCie into two equal drives and put Time Machine backups on one. I got the drive full message within a couple of weeks! Holy Data Storage Batman! Works fine after I turn off the "notify" - then I don't notice the auto delete and replace.

So far I'm a happy camper!

100 bucks for that Maxtor III (or round abouts there price wise) was a pretty good deal so far.

That's my rambling update.

PoliceDog
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
We have several Maxtor external HD's and have had no problems with them at all. However - we have also never installed or used the software that comes with them. Can't see the point.

PierreB
Jun 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Up until three years ago, Maxtor was my drive of choice. Then, had a couple of bad experiences and moved on to other manufacturers. The Maxtor drives just do not seem to last - last two I had did not make it to their first anniversary.

That being said, have not used then in the last couple of years and maybe they have fixed the issues that they had. If you decide to go for $100 drives, hopefully you will not be in a "you got what you paid for" scenario.

Mr. Fartleberry
Jun 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I have three, each being a different design over the years. I have never gotten their One Touch software to even launch so I just ignore all the promo. Just a bunch of PC garbage as far as I'm concerned.

No failures but I realize others have had these issues. As CanadaRam suggests, I'm probably moving on to case/drive combos in the future.

Here's a tip - don't ever buy anything with moving parts from Tiger Direct or Canada Computes. That includes on/off switches.

Griz
Dec 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
UPDATE:

My Maxtor is now making awful noises when it fires up from sleeping. Not a happy sound... :(

My LaCie is cooking along like silk. Time Machine backs it up every day - no noises, or a single "quirk".

Should've got two LaCies!!!!

That Maxtor I don't expect to survive into the New Year.

So..... Lesson here, as mentioned is you get what you pay for! I have to question the mentality of someone who manufactures this crap though.

Soooo.... Thinking of my next firewire drive... While I got the LaCie at Futile Shop (not much choice where I live...), they now have chosen like fools (or @ssholes) to ONLY stock USB 2.0 drives, pandering to the PC market even though they sell mac stuff.

I'll therefore have to order a drive from either Tiger, or Other World...

Might get a 2Tb drive this time - definitely with the FW800!!

Bottom line - MAXTOR SUCKS!

Cheers!

chas_m
Dec 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
If there's a Costco where you live, have a look at the Western Digital "My Book" drives.

Until recently I could not give them my full recommendation, but they seem to have (FINALLY) discovered Leopard and included drivers that work properly with it. Their warranty service is excellent, as I discovered when I had an earlier version of the drive that didn't play nice with Leopard. The replacement and its sister have hummed along fine ever since.

ciaochiao
Dec 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM
If there's a Costco where you live, have a look at the Western Digital "My Book" drives.

Until recently I could not give them my full recommendation, but they seem to have (FINALLY) discovered Leopard and included drivers that work properly with it. Their warranty service is excellent, as I discovered when I had an earlier version of the drive that didn't play nice with Leopard. The replacement and its sister have hummed along fine ever since.

hi Chas:
I'm in need of two external fw drives. I read your post and have a Costco nearby although I don't yet have a membership. If I purchase an external, do I have to format the external HD? Are there straightforward instructions to do this? thanks for your advice, knowledge, input, etc.
CC

Griz
Dec 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Yes, I've heard good things about the "Books". I hear that them and the LaCie drives are currently the best buy for the dollar right now (that work worth a @#$! with OS X anyway and have firewire).

However, are the WD books essentially RAID 0 drives as I understand the LaCie's are?

Wouldn't that make a drive "better" over a straight HD? Even if you don't have a true array set up?

Anyone?

hhk
Dec 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
This may be indicative of all drives and not just the WDs, but I have had problems with my 500GB MyBook to the point where I now us it for non-critical data only. I believe it is heat related because when I experience read/write errors, I unplug the drive for an hour or two and it comes back to life.

I now am buying drive enclosures with automatic shutdown processors and installing my own SATA drives. Since the external drives are not being accessed for 90% of their life, why should they be drawing power? I settled on the NexStar 3i with built-in power management. $45 at Canada Computers. It never gets more than a little warm whereas I could heat up toast on my Western Digital.

makuribu
Dec 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
hi Chas:
I'm in need of two external fw drives. I read your post and have a Costco nearby although I don't yet have a membership. If I purchase an external, do I have to format the external HD? Are there straightforward instructions to do this? thanks for your advice, knowledge, input, etc.
CC

Formatting a drive is dead easy. Go to the Utilities folder (inside the Applications folder) and run Disk Utility. It should find the external drive and give you the option to format it. If the drive is for Macs only, format it that way (Apple extended, journaled). If you want a Windows machine to be able to see it, format it MS-DOS (FAT32). The Mac will be able to use it, too.

With Leopard and Time Machine, you don't need any other backup software, and if you're just going to copy files manually, the backup software is irrelevant anyway. I buy external disks and wipe out the included software with nary a tear shed.

Griz
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
UPDATE: Jan 15, '09

Ok, for $99.00 plus shipping/tax. I've had this drive for 9 months.

(I have a Seagate Barrauda drive on the inside of this Maxtor apparently).

As I mentioned in this post, or maybe another, it's now making a God awful racket every time it is turned on. Failure is imminent...RUN!!!!!

Data is backed up and safe on my other drive (LaCie Big Disc), and I phoned Tiger Direct TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/) where I purchased it from. Nice guy on the phone said "Man you'll be stoked! There's a 36 month warranty on that drive!". That floored me!

Like WOW!

The catch is he said I have to deal with Maxtor/Seagate. "Don't worry" he says - "...they are REALLY good. You are going to be impressed with the service."

So I phone Seagate and get a guy who keeps asking me if he might have the "Honour" of addressing me by my first name. Super nice guy, but I feel like King Ralph here...(the movie guy - not the idiot that ran Alberta). He tells me in what sounds like a truly dissapointed voice that it's not covered because someone bought the warranty from them, blah, blah... So I'm preparing for the usual "corporate customer humping"

BUT! He also says that the dbase entry looks really weird and he wants to check something with his supervisor. I wait.

"No problem!" he says - "...let me walk you through the online confirmation, then ship it back and we'll get you a new one."

We do that and it's painless!

All I do now is pack it up, and ship it to Burlington, ON (provided I do it via a method with a tracking system).

They guy tells me a new one should be sent quite quickly a week to 10 days upon receipt of the unit. Based on how the fine fellow helped me, I have no reason to doubt him!

So....I don't know what the moral of this story is. For a $99.00 on special 500Gb triple interface drive - I'm thinking - if I get a new one back...that's a pretty kick ass deal and my estimation of Maxtor has gone up.

Now I might actually feel differently had I lost my data in all this...bitter...jaded...etc.

But hey! In this day and age of crappy service and "hands in my pocket" business models...All I can do is rave about the service and such.

Kudos to TD for filling me in. Much bigger Kudos to Maxtor/Seagate for their front end service.

Now, let's see how this goes after I ship it off.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers!

Griz
Jan 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
O.K.

The continuing saga of Maxtor vs. my computer....

Wow! Fast turnaround on the drive! Looks like my old drive showed up in Burlington, ON and the guys there said "Yep - toss one of those other OneTouch III's into that box and ship it back.."

One week even there and back.

HOWEVER!

I hook it up via FW and everything goes as planned. As usual I zero out the drive (takes forEVER!), and I want one partition, so I do this.

All looks well.

I begin to copy data to it (essentially about 350GB of backed up data).

About 10% into the transfer it just stalls out. No progress but the copy is still running. I force quit finder as it's stuck. Have to hard boot the whole [email protected]#$ machine....grrrrr! What did this do to my iMac?

Start all over again... This time use FW800 instead of 400...

Exact same result....grrr!!!!

Call Maxtor tech support....guy sounds like he'd rather be shoveling manure than doing his job...I remain cheery as ever.

The guy is checking his documentation over and over, or going for a smoke - who really knows?

Ship it back he says...I'm pissed as 5lbs isn't cheap to ship. He says he'll email me a prepaid label for shipping. Still waiting on that after 3 hours.

In the meanwhile, like an freakin IDIOT, being so impressed with Maxtor's initial "So sorrry let's fix that for you asap" response - I bought another Maxtor, this time a 1TB One Touch 4 plus (FW400). I am zeroing it out now and it says it's going to take 8 hrs....aaaghh!

If it's baked then I'm saying hell with it and doing the drive enclosure with a drive purchased. DIY approach. as someone suggested on another thread (and this one too I think).

I'm just getting so leery of Seagate drives right now...

Meanwhile the LaCie is humming along. I'd have got another one of those but JEEZ they are still so expensive to have the FW800! Futher, they are two drives instead of one if I'm not mistaken (RAID 0's).

If this craps out - I'm dumping on Maxtor to anyone who can find a power button on a computer for at least a year or two!

Why did I buy the OT 4 ?????? What was I thinking??

I notice Tiger Direct has less and less FW800 externals - pisses me off!

Griz
Jan 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Yup.

MAXTOR SUCKS!!!!!

Wasted my money.

Bought the OneTouch 4 Plus 1TB - zeroed it and got an error message after 8 freakin hours!

Tried repeatedly - cant take it from FAT to Extended at all. Same error message.

I'm sure there's some firmware fix or something but I've had it with this BS. It's freakin HARDWARE! a lousy HD! Format it, partition and store...what's with the difficulty here?

I'm going with some other fellows suggestion on another thread and getting a FW800 aluminum enclosure from Canada Ram and putting in a 1TB WD hard drive (unless someone can suggest a better brand HD????).

All I wanted is a FW800 HD 1TB. Why on God's green earth is this so hard without paying $500 dollars?

Why can't I walk into Futile shop and purchase one? Why do they ONLY sell USB 2.0? If I could then I could at least walk it back in and get my money back when it does stuff like this.

2 Maxtors have been nothing but trouble.

Upon my experience

NEVER EVER BUY THIS GARBAGE NO MATTER HOW NICE THE PRICE!

You might get lucky, but if you don't - you cash might as well be flushed!

Yeah some sour grapes but read the post and you get why.

I need something soon as I have everything sitting on a LaCie drive with no redundant back up. If it tanks I'm toast and I THOUGHT I'd at least have a 500GB drive that worked...or a 1TB....

Thanks for nothing Maxtor.

Griz
Feb 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, I sauntered into the local store/consultants that sell/fix Macs.

Asked what they were selling for 1TB FW800 X hard drives.

I was going to buy an enclosure and a drive and do that thing myself.

But there at the local Mac (crack!) dealer was a bunch of WD MyBook 1TB Studios with 800 connection (and apparently 400 too but with a conversion cable- included). I know they are top notch (as several people have stated) and the price was very reasonable.

So I said "hell with it" and got the WD 1TB Studio.

I'm NOT sorry I did that.

However, I now have a veritable plethora of drive space (what did someone say about "wide open space"?....I feel like freakin Saskatchewan right now!).

I have my iMac (320GB), along with a LaCie 1TB Big Disc (FW800) daisy-chained with the WD 1TB MyBook Studio, a POS 1TB OneTouch4 Maxtor (partitioned out to two 500GB partitions), and I have my original OneTouch III that is "supposed" to be getting replaced/repaired for the second time and shipped back to me.

That leaves me with 3.82 TB of storage.

Everything is backed up well, and I still have a metric tonne of storage. After years of experience (sadly with PCs.... :( ) I know damn well it will get full faster than I expect.

Now watch my house get hit with lightning this summer! Poof! All fused in seconds!

How much are lighting rods??

I've been posting this crap for a while now...I wonder if this thread has been of any use to anyone?

chas_m
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
hi Chas:
CC

Most hard drives are pre-formatted for PCs, so yes you should reformat (not a bad idea anyway).

Disk Utility and its help file will guide you through the process of erasing and reformatting the drive. It's quick and easy.

chas_m
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
However, are the WD books essentially RAID 0 drives as I understand the LaCie's are?

(I know this question is almost two months old, but just for the FYI)

WD MyBooks and some LaCie models at 1TB or higher are RAID 0 drives (2x500GB in a single case). 500GB and 750GB drives are not, and future 1TB models won't be, since there are now economical 1TB drives.

chas_m
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM
This may be indicative of all drives and not just the WDs, but I have had problems with my 500GB MyBook to the point where I now us it for non-critical data only. I believe it is heat related because when I experience read/write errors, I unplug the drive for an hour or two and it comes back to life.

WD will gladly exchange that drive for one that doesn't have this problem if you bought it less than three years ago. Contact WD.

chas_m
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
I've been posting this crap for a while now...I wonder if this thread has been of any use to anyone?

I think reading your posts over the time of this thread will show anyone the folly of always putting price ahead of reliability.

Time may change Maxtor's situation, so I don't rule them out absolutely, but at the present time I'm happiest with my 500GB WDs and my Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, though it should be noted that none of them are on 24/7 (more like 18/6). :)

Griz
Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks Chas...I was wondering if I may as well have been making "mental notes" instead.

As long as someone benefits from my own folly.

As frustrated as I got, I keep reminding myself ...hey it's not that much cash and as a result has been an interesting experiment.

The WD 1TB studio I purchased is, as you mentioned, a single drive not a RAID 0. Had I purchased it a few months back...yeah likely would have been 2 500's.

It will be interesting to see which pooches out first over time, the WD or the LaCie big disc (RAID 0). Then again, it's all just flippin coins in the end anyway.

Sometimes you get a Teusday car, sometimes you get a Friday car (actually there is a code in the serials that tell you what day your car came off the line).

As long as my data is intact...

I think when the solid states start to get into the large storage sizes and I turn the whole kit & kaboodle over - I'll just build my own next time and be sure...if all our computer still work after 2012 (please cue the ominous music - thank you).

Griz
Feb 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Well, based on this news article InternetNews Realtime IT News - After CEO, Staff Cuts, What's Next for Seagate? (http://www.internetnews.com/storage/article.php/3796666/After+CEO+Staff+Cuts+Whats+Next+for+Seagate.htm) and the fact that Seagate & Maxtor's tech support, warranty support, and just about any other phone number has been down for 2 days...I'm guessing my attempts at getting this issue resolved just tanked out.

See, I got the return of the 3rd OT III drive, only this time, It is missing the FW800 connection. Essentially they've said, "just take what we give you".

Unacceptable, so I spent forever multitasking on hold (speaker thank GOD!!!) and finally got a level 2 (supervisor) customer service. I told him this was nuts, and he say's he will take care of it. Outlined that I would receive an emailed label for UPS shipment (no cost to me) and he would make sure I got this done for good. Assurances, etc.

Next day, no label, no nothing...I phone, and their system is "down". No big deal. I try later...same thing. I try today...same thing.

I think they just killed their tech support/warranty support and any other thing that doesn't involve them actually taking money from a customer.

So now I have a OT III drive, with no FW800. No way to send it back or nothing.

Not too big of deal, but my fun is ruined!!!

On another note, boy I'm sure glad I don't work for Maxtor or Seagate! As annoying as those tech guys are on the phone are to deal with...I feel bad they all might be toast!

Anyway...off topic.

Sooooooo....IF I even get a sticker to send this thing off - I wonder if it's wise as I might never see another drive again if they sack a ton of customer service folks. It might explain how helpful that level 2 guy was to me (trying hard to keep his job maybe...??).

Anyway, having a large corp. like Seagate shut it's phones down for 2 days straight is...suspicious & scary.

I might be out of my mind though...maybe I need a girlfriend.

Griz
Feb 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
OK, so I jumped the gun a little. The tech line is back up!

I just don't know how an entire company the size of Seagate can just shut down it's customer service for 2 straight days. No incoming phone calls...bupkiss!!

Even their sales line was down.

I mean, could you imagine Bell ...OK...yeah maybe Bell - they wouldn't care anyway - they might as well be closed 24/7 anyway!

Ok, how about Apple? 2 straight days, not accepting customer's calls?

If I owned stock in a company that did that - whew! Watch me dump it!

Crazy!

Still, I wonder if I send this drive back for the 3rd time if it will come back...

I just have to send it off...this is just too crazy not to keep going! Remember that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer just kept driving on empty?

So I would have shipped it off today but the weather was so sucky after work, I just headed straight home.

Tune in next week when Maxtor sends me...A floppy disc drive!!!!!

duh, duh DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Griz
Feb 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Okay,

Here seems to be the resolution to this continuing saga.

I had sent the drive back for the 3rd time. I had a "level 2" customer service supervisor tell me he would ensure personally that the new drive worked and had FW800 interface. All sorts of stroking and "personal guarantees".

The drive showed up this week and I opened it. EXACTLY the same as what they sent the last time. NO FW800. Just USB and FW400. Despite the level 2 tech reading me back what I was supposed to get.

So the principle of the whole "5 year warranty" is, to me now, just a bunch of hooey. I'm quite pi$$ed in an entertained sort of way. So, I consider, what the heck, I'm going to keep sending this drive back until it finally disappears or something. If I do this 20 times, what the hell - they can eat the shipping until something gives or I get what I paid for. I have it shipping to my workplace anyway and UPS is on the way home from work so the skin off my nose is minimal.

I write a scathing letter and research where to send it, strangely enough, I just can't find the head office of their customer support office...maybe I'm being blind. Anyway, I have the cc's to their Canadian Head of Sales, their BOD office and another address (I have to check again where that was). So I call the support line...again... and ask for a level 2 guy. Before I give him any info, I'm asking him for the CS head office location. He is clearly reluctant and worried, but gives in and I get it. He asks why and I tell him the whole story (short version).

This guy is who I should have talked to right out of the gate. He just says "That's crazy!" He comments on how mellow I am about the whole thing and if it were him he'd be screaming at himself. He asks if I'm alright with changing models. I say I don't care as long as it's 500Gb and triple interface with FW800. He says he's going to send me the 500Gb model of this drive (http://freeagent.seagate.com/en-us/hard-drive/hard-drive-mac/Free-Agent.html). At this point I'm kind of set up for having fun sending the drive back and forth some more and firing off the scathing letter. He must sense this as he states they will send it to me without me sending the other drive back.

He gets my phone # and says someone's calling me back right away.

They do and she says when I get the new drive, just use the same box and send back this drive I was sent this time (again with a free shipping label). No credit card # nothing. Just goodwill.

I'm still skeptical, but hopeful.

I got an email yesterday with a tracking # for UPS. It's sitting at Mirabel right now. So they defiantly sent something I can only assume its the Freeagent Desk for Mac drive that they said they'd send (triple interface with FW800).

If it is then I'll box up this OT III POS and send it back and that will end this saga.

However, despite the rigamarole of all this, I will say they seem to be making good on the 5 year warranty thing replacing what I bought.

Crazy though because I paid 99 bucks for the drive from TigerDirect. I spent 18? dollars of my own money shipping it the first time (I think...). And it's will have been shipped a total of 8 times (at say...18 bucks a pop for each leg) for about $144, and I'm actually getting a more expensive drive ($200 on Tiger Direct's site I believe). Plus the shipping of the FAD drive.

Should I be a jerk and NOT ship the OT III back...it would add that in the mix.

I WILL ship it back though, to keep my Karma in sync.

I'll post what shows this week from UPS.

Until next time...

Griz
Mar 5th, 2009, 06:33 PM
OK, well the new drive has arrived. It arrived this week, but I was traveling so I couldn't get to it.

It is just as they stated. It is a Seagate FreeAgent|Desk for Mac. 500GB.

Very "Mac-y" in it's colour and appearance.

Seems to work very well so far. I'm moving about 370GB of data onto it to see how it handles large transfers. The second drive, if you recall, seemed at first to be fine but wouldn't write anything of any size without tanking out on me. So I'm going heavy on this and if it performs...then I"m guessing that's fine.

This new Seagate FAD for all appearances is essentially the same as the black PC Freeagent drives. We've used them at work and they fit the bill quite nicely. Smooth, quiet and reliable. So far this seems to be no different other than it's targeted to the Mac user. No formatting, nothing just plug and play. I did partition it to a single partition though and of course renamed it to fit my own scheme (different bear species latin names for each drive).

The interface is in fact USB 2.0 or FW800. A FW800 to 400 cable comes with it too so you can use it as a 400 if you want. I have it daisy-chained now furthest downstream from my WD MyBook Studio 1TB (FW800) = LaCie Big Disc 1TB (FW800) = Seagate FAD 500GB.

My wife agreed I should ship the Maxtor OneTouch III that I still have (it has no FW800 if you recall) back to Seagate/Maxtor. I'm sure it works quite fine and all and that would leave me with a total of 5 external hard drives (3 1TB drives and 2 500GB drives). Talk about wide open spaces! When they are all mounted and I want to save a file from Safari or something...God forbid one is in sleep mode...Spinning Ball of Death seems hypnotizing as I wait, and wait for them all to spin up and have Finder read anything. I WISH THERE WAS SOME WAY AROUND THIS!!! Anyone? Anyone?

I'll post more if anything else happens regarding this "Saga"

"A long time ago on an iMac far far away..."

Griz
Apr 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Just an update to say that all drives seem to be working well (now that I've posted this - they will all crap out now and be as frustrated as when this all started! - I've jinxed it haven't I?).

I'll go so far as to say, that to date I'm rather impressed with the Seagat FAD for Mac. It seems a quality drive that spins up and down very fast! Almost wish I had a TB model. It's just a drive, the rest is just marketing I know- but hey! it's a good drive. I wonder what series Seagate drive is inside?

I also now have a WD 250GB Passport drive which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes (a Canadian pack). Very nice little drive I must say. Very portable and Wow you can carry a lot of stuff with you.

Sooooo, I'll post again in a couple of days or so when one goes belly up because I posted the first sentence!

I'm so superstitious!

Griz
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
OK, so the latest in the continuing saga....

The LaCie Big Disk 1TB Triple interface has died more or less.

I was sure it was the brick, but now I just think it's the power brick, cause it still crapped once with a "good brick" so go figure.

I contacted LaCie and they are ignoring me pretty much. I tracked down a phone # for LaCie Canada and I have to wonder if maybe high school kids might be running the company or something.

So due to the sudden feeling of suspicion I have of the LaCie I purchased another HD. This time, a second WD MyBook Studio 1TB.

Not sure what I'll do with the LaCie.... I may crack it open and use the two 500's for something else.

Anyway, out of all the drives...WD MyBook is winning hands down. I hear their customer support is superior too. LaCie's certainly isn't, nor as you can see is Maxtor/Seagate.

So what's a bear to do?

Buy WD is my opinion.

Still liking that WD Passport too! Awesome little drives!

Funny because I remember a time when WD was bottom of the heap and had a really bad rep. Now their on top again.

Go figure.

SINC
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Anyway, out of all the drives...WD MyBook is winning hands down. I hear their customer support is superior too. LaCie's certainly isn't, nor as you can see is Maxtor/Seagate.

Not so fast. I have used Seagate for five years now, have five externals and last month had my first failure.

The 1 TB Seagate Free Agent for Mac started to click and got hot. I called Seagate and for a pre-payment of $19.95, a new drive complete with cables was in my hands in 24 hours via courier. I had 28 days to transfer my data and return the old drive in the prepaid box it came in with a new prepaid shipping label, along with the old cables to Seagate.

The cost of shipping one way was more than the $19.95 I paid, but the bottom line is that it was replaced, no questions asked in 24 hours. I sure don't call that inferior customer service.

And my six year old 250GB Maxtor external drive is still running fine every day.

Griz
Sep 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Sinc,

Did you read the rest of the post?

Glad you had a good experience though!

And yes, I suspect that, had the original drive been an actual Seagate model - service might have been different.

I do like those new Free Agent Drives ("for Mac") they are making. They seem to perform very nicely. But again, based on my service experience...I went with WD.

Probably in the end either or is just as good.

At least none are Comstar.... Hey Comstar can spell Rat's Com - just noticed that!