: All in one Printer, scanner and fax Recommendations

Sitting Bull
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Good day all,
A while back I posted for info on faxing with my Mac as my fax machine is dead. It is a good thing that I held off a bit as it turns out that my wife would like a scanner. So my question is does any one have any recommendations for a good inexpensive all in one printer, scanner and fax. We do not print pictures so it is not necessary to have great photo capabilities.
I am looking at Costco , they have an small HP for a little over a $100.00 bucks. What do you think?
Thanks S.B.

Macified
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Consider spending a bit more and getting a black & white laser all-in-one. I picked up a Brother unit for $299 and it has been absolutely fantastic. I have it connected over our network and can print and scan from all of our computers. I can also send a fax from my computer over the network using the printer as the controller. Doesn't get much better than that.

I have had the unit for about 8 months and am still on the first (smaller than standard) toner cartridge. When the cartridge goes, a replacement will cost about the same as a set of ink cartridges for any decent printer.

CubaMark
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Brother - they're pretty much bullet-proof, and the software actually works on the Mac. Unlike, say, H-friggin'-P, which can't be bothered to debug their own ^&*% drivers... my HP C4180 AIO will print... but I haven't been able to scan since upgrading to Leopard... :(

Gerbill
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Unless you're absolutely strapped for space, consider getting separate printer and scanner. Every time there's an OS update you hear people crying about their all-in-ones not working with it, especially the scanner part. Sometimes updates are eventually forthcoming, sometimes not. Stand-alone components have a much better record in this respect, and seem to have more features generally than the modules in an all-in-one.

rgray
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
My HP Photosmart 5180 has behaved faultlessly since I got it. It is ethernet ready so I have got it on my network and it will scan and print from the MBA wirelessly.

ramopara
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Brother 7820N

don't forget to use the $50 dollar rebate from mfg website.

prsphoto
Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have an HP 3050 Laserjet all in one. its a black and white that prints really fast, faxes, copies, and scans via sheet loader (as opposed to a flatbed)

HP recently released updated 10.5 drivers. for $250 its dam good deal.

I'm told it will also work as a network printer through Airport Express or Extreme.....

EvanPitts
Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I prefer a Fax machine that is separate from a Scanner; mostly because I take my scanner on the road and want the smallest unit possible. Plus, a problem with one part will render the whole thing useless. All In Ones can be kind of a hassle when it comes to drivers...

Brothers are pretty good units. They bought a Laser Fax at work, and the cool thing is that it has USB, so I could connect my iBook and print to it. (The model would not scan back to the computer, though I could Fax an image back at lower resolution than usual.)

fjnmusic
Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I'm partial to Lexmark myself (4350 model I think we have), but there are tons of good models out there. I think I just saw something at Wal-Mart for about $70. Hard to go wrong, really. It probably costs more for the ink than it does for the whole machine. I also have the printer/copier/scanner combination with a fax machine in a separate room. No particular reason.

kps
Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Costco had the Brother 8460N on sale recently for $299 and I grabbed it after HP let me down following an upgrade to Leopard. I'll never buy another HP product ever again.

This Brother machine is excellent. Instant on, no warm-up, scanning software is limited, but adequate, built-in networking, standard faxing, works great with Leopard and since it uses CUPS, should work with all subsequent OS releases. +1

eMacMan
Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Unless you're absolutely strapped for space, consider getting separate printer and scanner. Every time there's an OS update you hear people crying about their all-in-ones not working with it, especially the scanner part. Sometimes updates are eventually forthcoming, sometimes not. Stand-alone components have a much better record in this respect, and seem to have more features generally than the modules in an all-in-one.

I will second this. One reason is that Epson scanners are far ahead of many others especially if you need to scan the occasional colour neg.

Macified
Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I agree that a separate scanner is the way to go for "real" scanning. But for the occasional scan of a business document and all-in-one is fine.

For "real" printing, a separate printer is the way to go.

I use an all-in-one for day-to-day stuff and some high-end pieces for "real" work.

Brother 7820N for me. Beat out a Canon G4 hands down. The Canon refused to fax to anything other than another Canon G4. Tried two units and go the same result. Went to the Brother unit and was totally impressed.

Sitting Bull
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
So if a the suggestion to purchase a separate scanner is possibly a better way to go what brand do you suggest and what price point?
Thanks.

Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
My favorite are:

1) Canon ImageCLASS MF4270

2) HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP (CB534A)

Two fabulous products!

Gerbill
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM
So if a the suggestion to purchase a separate scanner is possibly a better way to go what brand do you suggest and what price point?
Thanks.

I like the Epson Perfection Vxx Photo series. Which model depends on how many photo negatives you want to handle at a time. I have a V350 that handles short 35mm strips of negatives or film and also slides 2 at a time, in addition to regular scanning. The TWAIN plugin software fully supports Leopard, with direct scanning into Photoshop, Graphic Converter, Image Capture and ReadIris Pro. Costs about $130. You can get cheaper and more expensive scanners in the same series, depending on your needs.

EPSON Canada, Limited - Product Information - Scanners (http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/ProductCategory.jsp?oid=-8172)

HowEver
Apr 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
We do not print pictures so it is not necessary to have great photo capabilities.

It seems that the comments about scanning photo negatives are perhaps a bit over the top.

When you do narrow down which printer or printers you are considering, compare prices (and warranties!) at:

Ehmac.ca: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison! (http://ehmac.pricecanada.com)

You are likely to beat whatever price/warranty you find by (1) buying on sale or (2) buying at Costco as mentioned in post 1.

Since Costco's "lifetime" warranty program is now (1) 90 days, no questions asked satisfaction warranty and (2) two years "concierge" warranty service (so, still far better than anything else you'll come across) even if you have to spend a couple of dollars more on a printer there--which isn't likely--the in-store warranty makes up for it. Compare this to having to contact a manufacturer yourself if you buy a lemon, and include travel time, or shipping, wait time for it to be fixed, and any discussion about whether they'll honour their warranty in the first place.

Unfortunately, comparing exact models may be difficult, since Costco usually gets Costco-specific models not available elsewhere. So you'll have to compare very similar models based on features.

I have an Epson RX500 all-in-one which has been flawless. A new set of inks (6 cartridges) was $10 on eBay (compared to $60-$80 in stores) plus $2 shipping.

This will be cheaper in the store than on their website (since they build in the cost of shipping there):
Costco - Epson Stylus® Photo CX8400 All-In-One Printer (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10309062&search=epson&Mo=111&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=epson&Ntt=epson&No=15&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

Gerbill
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
It seems that the comments about scanning photo negatives are perhaps a bit over the top.

Well, if you follow the link I gave, you'll see that one of the featured units is the Perfection V200 which doesn't have the negative scanning feature and only costs around $90. I was just mentioning what I use myself because it's sitting on my desk.