: WDMy Book [email protected] Costco, Good or bad product?

Sitting Bull
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Good day all,
I will be buying an external hard drive this week. I have searched the site for recent updates. I am considering the western digital my Book home 500gb, at Costco for $139.00.
Any one suggest not doing so? I know some of you on the board have one. Any updates on problem or issues? Is it very noisy?
Any other recommendations for the same price?

Thanks
S.B.

rb42
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I've had one for about a year, no problems whatsoever performs beautifully. I mostly use it for backups and it is very quiet!

hayesk
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Lacie has nicer 500GB drives at Future Shop / Best Buy for the same price (at least last time I checked).

Both of these drives are USB2 only. I would spend a little extra for the increased speed and reliability of Firewire.

rb42
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Lacie has nicer 500GB drives at Future Shop / Best Buy for the same price (at least last time I checked).

Both of these drives are USB2 only. I would spend a little extra for the increased speed and reliability of Firewire.

If you get the Home edition version : http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10306518&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|84&N=4008631&Mo=74&No=14&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=1333&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=
you will get USB2.0 and Firewire 400 for $149.99

Regards

Adrian.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
you want firewire...trust me.

Another_Paul
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM

I second that. Get a Firewire compatible drive.

EvanPitts
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Firewire - for sure.

I have read some complaints about the MyBook here on EhMac, but I do not know anyone personally that has ever bought one. For about the same money, the Seagate Free Agent Pro is a pretty good drive as well, and I have been using two of them since Christmas...

But again, make sure to get Firewire, even if it costs a little more and is a little more of a hassle to purchase - it is well worth it.

crawford
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I purchased the MyBook Studio -- it has Firewire 800 and came pre-formatted for my iMac. The iMac has limited USB2.0 ports and I didn't want one permanently taken up with an external HD.

It's not the quietest drive in the world, though I have one of the early 1TB drives; perhaps the smaller capacities are more quiet.

The fact that it puts itself to sleep is a mixed blessing. I like the peace and quiet along with the energy savings, but I don't like waiting for it to spin up again when the OS decides that it needs to have access, such as when I go to save a file, launch a new finder window, etc.

Macified
Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I have the 1TB version with Firewire and USB. It is currently partitioned into four different drive spaces so that 3 computers can use it with TimeMachine and the fourth partition is for media files.

The only complaint I have is that it spins down and goes off-line when attached to my AirPort Extreme. Connected via firewire and even USB it is just fine (but Firewire is way better).

good luck.

magnuscanadiana
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have both a WD my book (USB only) and a G drive Q (firewire). While my WD my book has never failed me and works very well for what i purchased it for (large storage of home made videos) I love the speed of my G drive. The firewire works at lightening speed. But cost wise, You can't beat the 1tb for $199 on the WD my book.

Paddy
Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Or you could get a Seagate 500 GB drive at Canada Computers (5 year warranty) and install it in the Vantec FW/USB 2.0 case for about $135.

Seagate 500GB drive (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014525&cid=HD.443.877)

Vantec enclosure (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014849&cid=516.700)

OR, even cheaper at tddirect, though with shipping may work out the same:

Buy Vantec Nexstar 3 Black Aluminum 3.5IN IDE Hard Drive Enclosure USB2.0 Firewire IEEE1394 (http://www.tddirect.ca/products/114310/NST-360UF-BK/VANTEC/)
Buy Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive (http://www.tddirect.ca/products/125581/ST3500320AS/Seagate/)

Assembling your own drive is dead simple - a screwdriver is usually all you require, and the ability to plug in the SATA cable and the power cable. I like to have a nice long warranty on my HD's; they're far more likely to fail than the enclosure.

Eric0
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Go for the MyBook. You won't regret it.

I personally have multiple Lacie Porsche drives which are more or less comparable to the MyBook except they are USB 2. The added advantage is that they are stackable so if you want multiple drives they all fit nicely together.

Kirtland
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I have three external drives all different makes. Two are firewire and one is USB 2. Had them all from 1-3 years for backups etc and all have done the job. However, also trust me when I say you want firewire. I bought the USB 2 because it was real cheap. It is also real slow, I won't buy another USB 2 no matter what the price.

kps
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I have two MyBooks, both from Costco and both with FireWire. One is 500GB, the other 1TB. The 500 is continuously on for TimeMachine, the other for media storage and a bootable system backup.

So far no complaints, however I do worry about the lack of internal cooling, but I like the quiet operation.

askywalker
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I have the 1TB Mybook with fw400 and USB from Costco - works pretty well. Works great when connected directly - a little flakey when connected to the airport extreme - anyone have any tips for when the airport doesn't see a disk? I usually end up cycling the power on both devices to get it back - annoying...

harpoon
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:34 AM
for backups and basic stuff, a MyBook is (usually) fine. Don't cut video off of it for long periods of time, mine overheated!

I do have another MyBook 1TB that seems ok as I'm just using it as backup, seems alright for occasional access kind of stuff.

I got a Seagate Barracuda with the skookum 5 year warranty (warranty usually equals awesomeness in drive quality), 1TB from NCIX for $200! Get an external and you're laughing like the Joker.

I have a Lacie 500GB tank-like thing as well, it's noisy...oh, and a Seagate Free Agent 750GB that seems decent for USB.

chas_m
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I own two WD drives -- a My Book 500GB Home Edition and a 500GB Pro Edition.

The Pro (and Studio) editions are preformatted for Macs and do not require special drivers that I'm aware of. They work well but I've had failures with them, usually after prolonged 24/7 usage.

Ironically, the Home Edition (which does need a driver in order to sleep and dismount properly) has been a workhorse, so I'm prepared to give a recommendation to the entire line. All the ones I've had have FW400 or 800 as well as USB2. FW is unquestionably faster and worth the "chump change" difference in price.

The one caution I've got for WD purchasers is that older FW cables may sometimes cause "quirky" behaviour in the drives. I have an old FW cable that works just fine with every other device I attach it to, but the WD doesn't like it.

FeXL
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Have the 1TB MyBook Pro, probably about a year old now. Use it for SuperDuper backups of desktop system/apps drive, desktop images drive and laptop drive across 3 different partitions. Works fine, I usually use the FW800 connection.

There is some concern as the chances of a hard drive failure are increased with two drives in the enclosure, but the data is always backed up on other externals as well.

I will always eject the drive & power it down when I'm done. When it first starts up, there is significant fan noise but it only runs fast for a second or two, then idles down. Our office is fairly noisy so rarely do I hear the fan above the ambient sound.

Niagaramark
Apr 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have 2 WD MyBook 500 GB drives. No problems so far.
Another good deal is the 500 GB maxtor external from TigerDirect.ca. It is onsale for $99 and includes USB, FW400 and FW800 interfaces. I have a 300 GB and it has been problem free for 2 years so far.

bob99
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
If you get one of these drives, make sure you use Disk Utility to reformat it from FAT-32, which is how they come from the factory.

I had some problems with this, until I learned to go to the "partitions" tab in Disk Utility and click on "Options" - you want to change the partition to a GUID Partition Table, and then it will properly format to OSX Journaled.

Bob

smashedbanana
Apr 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Tigerdirect has the Maxtor Onetouch III 500gb 16mb with Firewire 400/800 and USB 2.0 on for $99. Bought 2 yesterday.

Ed

hayesk
Apr 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Tigerdirect has the Maxtor Onetouch III 500gb 16mb with Firewire 400/800 and USB 2.0 on for $99. Bought 2 yesterday.

I hope you didn't follow through on the "Click Here to claim your $15.00 Cash Back Reward..." on the order confirmation page. Sad to see that Tiger Direct participates in that Reservation Rewards scam.

If you don't remember if you clicked or not, check your VISA bills for a $9 or $10 charge every month from WLI*RESERVATIONREWARDS.

Griz
Apr 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hmmm...

I almost purchased a couple of those Maxtor 500's then I started reading some reviews.

They don't exactly rave about the drives.

I love the price and the fact that you can use 400 or 800 FW but hey, if the thing crashes and loses your data...what's the point?

Anyone have any experiences with these Maxtors?

I was hoping for a TC backup for one on the 800, and storage for another on the 400.

Should I hit the purchase button...or wait?

hayesk
Apr 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Maxtor are no different than other drive makers - you get some losers of the bunch, and that's the bad reviews you read. I doubt it has any more chance of crashing and losing your data than any other drive.

I bought one of these yesterday, we'll see how it goes.