: Audio on iMac on Bootcamp

bgw
Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've found that when I use Bootcamp on my iMac (specs in signature) the audio sounds really bad and compressed, compared to under Leopard. I have done a few checks against different input sources but the result is always similar. I know my hearing is bad, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
I've found that when I use Bootcamp on my iMac (specs in signature) the audio sounds really bad and compressed, compared to under Leopard. I have done a few checks against different input sources but the result is always similar. I know my hearing is bad, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

You certainly are not the only one! Are you running Vista by any chance?

Vegas Underground
Apr 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I find when I go into windows via boot camp the audio volume goes much much higher but still maintains a decent quality. I mean, iTunes with its volume turned up max and the main volume turned up to max is pretty loud, but go into windows? Were taking the computer will rattle loud (I have a 5 piece speaker set purchased, nothing big, all tiny little speakers and a sub)

So I dont notice a worse sounding audio in XP, just a much much MUCH louder one.

bgw
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm using XP and I've noticed the volume control issue too. It only seems to have three useful settings. One through three bars, on the big volume overlay that comes up when you adjust the volume.

So, after your kind responses, I can only assume one thing; XP doesn't handle audio well! I can also assume that I haven't screwed up the audio either which was my prime concern.

Kirtland
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I usually turn my audio off when in bootcamp due to an unexplained static noise every 20 seconds. Not real bad, just annoying. It only does it when I am in bootcamp and this has been an issue with my 24" iMac since bootcamp beta. I was hoping that 10.5 would solve the issue, but it didn't. I have XP installed.

Apr 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I usually turn my audio off when in bootcamp due to an unexplained static noise every 20 seconds. Not real bad, just annoying. It only does it when I am in bootcamp and this has been an issue with my 24" iMac since bootcamp beta. I was hoping that 10.5 would solve the issue, but it didn't. I have XP installed.

Hey thats weird! As far as I knew it was Vista that contained an audio bug that demonstrated behavior that coordinates with your issue in Boot Camp. I a, now beginning to think that it is a driver issue. Does your Mac use a Sigmatel or Realtek?

- Just a helpful tip: For all of you unadventurous types out there you can go to your system properties and within performance setup the processor scheduling to background services.

The Shadow
Apr 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Not having audio issues at all, and I have Bootcamp and licensed XP running on three Macs. Are you booting in XP or virtualizing it via Parallels or Fusion?

Kirtland
Apr 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Does your Mac use a Sigmatel or Realtek?
:confused: I don't know :confused: I am not familiar with either of those words.