: mac pro suggestions?

mc77
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask for some advice before purchasing. I am looking to buy a mac pro (2.8GHz quad core) and have a few questions: I'd like to also purchase an lcd tv to use as a secondary monitor. I'd like to get either a 40" or 42" - can anyone recommend a particular model that they are happy with? Also, will the graphics card I select make any difference for this (ati radeon or nvidia geforce 8800)? I do a fair amount of video editing for coaching and would like the display to work well. Finally, can anyone recommend a good monitor in the range of $300 - $350 that works well with the mac pro? I would really appreciate any help! Thanks

kgeorge78
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask for some advice before purchasing. I am looking to buy a mac pro (2.8GHz quad core) and have a few questions: I'd like to also purchase an lcd tv to use as a secondary monitor. I'd like to get either a 40" or 42" - can anyone recommend a particular model that they are happy with? Also, will the graphics card I select make any difference for this (ati radeon or nvidia geforce 8800)? I do a fair amount of video editing for coaching and would like the display to work well. Finally, can anyone recommend a good monitor in the range of $300 - $350 that works well with the mac pro? I would really appreciate any help! Thanks

Really is an amazing machine. Purchased mine a few monthes ago. I'm using an apple 23" but I admit it's a waste of money. Theres a few nice monitors out there for a decent price. Look for a samsung model getting decent reviews. I had mine hooked up temp. to a sharp 42" LCD (D64 series). Looked ok but will never look as good as the monitor.

Go with the 8800 card if you are doing anything graphicly intense. I also thing getting the dual drives is nice. I didn't and wish i would have.

mc77
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your advice - I will definetly look into samsung for the monitor. Cheers

Sualocin
Apr 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
You really can't describe how amazing this machine is until you've owned one.

I use an Samsung SyncMaster 22inch Widescreen LCD display. Looks and works great and have had no problems, except for the paint started coming off slightly when I tried to rub out some dirt. I think it was an out of date model as I got it at BB for like $269 or something. Can't say to much about LCD T.V.s as I don't own any.

Definitly get the nVidia 8800 as the Radeon won't match your needs. Get some more RAM to speed up video editing as well. Oh and do yourself a big favour and get the 8 core, you won't have to upgrade for longer and it will speed up all proccesses you need now. Plus Apple has worked out more of the hardware bugs.
For awhile you couldn't even get the 8800GT for the older mac pro's but apparently now you can.
Good hunting, the Mac Pro is what computing was meant to be.

keebler27
Apr 21st, 2008, 11:47 PM
welcome.

also look at the apple refurb section. look for the deals flag on the store page.

big savings and apple reconditions the units to be 'as brand new', with the same warranty. can probably save enough to pay for a great monitor.

if you need extra ram or hard drives, do NOT buy them through apple. they overcharge big time.

canadaram has great prices on ram and local stores will have better pricing than apple on HDs.

cheers,
keebler

mc77
Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the tips! It seems that people are happy with the samsung monitors which definetly helps make that choice easier. Also, thanks for the advice on the graphics card - I've been sort of going back on forth on that one and hearing two other people recommend the nvidea 8800 helps to get me on board with it. People like the samsung lcd monitors, anyone have any opinions on their lcd tv's? I guess one of the things I'm puzzling over is if the resolution is only slightly less on a good lcd tv, why aren't more people using them as monitors/secondary monitors? Isn't it a nice convenience to have a sort of all-in-one entertainment/work centre? I'd love to hear any thoughts on this subject. Cheers

Principal
Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
I've purchased 2 Mac Pro's in the last 3 months, 1-4 core with 8800 video card, and 1-8 core with the stock video card. I find the 4 core machine with upgraded card runs my apps (Photoshop & Final Cut Express) somewhat faster than the 8 core.

screature
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
I've purchased 2 Mac Pro's in the last 3 months, 1-4 core with 8800 video card, and 1-8 core with the stock video card. I find the 4 core machine with upgraded card runs my apps (Photoshop & Final Cut Express) somewhat faster than the 8 core.

That's because those programs can't make use of all the cores but they can make use of the added VRAM.

screature
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tips! It seems that people are happy with the samsung monitors which definetly helps make that choice easier. Also, thanks for the advice on the graphics card - I've been sort of going back on forth on that one and hearing two other people recommend the nvidea 8800 helps to get me on board with it. People like the samsung lcd monitors, anyone have any opinions on their lcd tv's? I guess one of the things I'm puzzling over is if the resolution is only slightly less on a good lcd tv, why aren't more people using them as monitors/secondary monitors? Isn't it a nice convenience to have a sort of all-in-one entertainment/work centre? I'd love to hear any thoughts on this subject. Cheers

It's because unless you buy a 1080p TV the resolution isn't only "slightly less good". Additionally you have nowhere near the calibration control on a TV relative to that which you have even on a midrange LCD monitor. Resolution is also only ONE determining factor of picture quality. Contrast ratio, response rate, dot pitch/pixel pitch, viewing angle are all also very important determining factors of image quality.

Additionally in a computing environment many LCD monitors these days have peripheral ports (USB 2.0, flash card readers, even Firewire [on rare occasions]). So all in all for a computing environment a second monitor is still the way to go. However, if you are going to be using the second monitor for mixed use, i.e. multimedia entertainment, then an argument can be made for an LCD TV. Just don't expect it to be as good as your monitor when used for computing and make sure you use your monitor for any photo/image editing.

jeepguy
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
The problem arises from people sitting to close to a large monitors, if you sit in front of it like a monitor dot pitch/pixel pitch comes into play, graphics look blocky, but if you sit back 6 feet, it's less noticeable. For work I use 2 22" monitors, and at home I have my Mac Mini connected to a Sharp 46", and it looks stunning.