: How is this possible...scam?

Adrian.
Apr 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
Me thinks its too good to be true.

APPLE MACBOOK PRO 17 2.16 GHZ 100 GB 7200RPM APPLECARE - Toronto Computers For Sale - Kijiji Toronto (http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-APPLE-MACBOOK-PRO-17-2-16-GHZ-100-GB-7200RPM-APPLECARE-W0QQAdIdZ47349212)

cap10subtext
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
My scam detector just exploded.

Gamalen
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Yup, it's a scam. The same person or group of people is listing brand new macbook pro in all the various cities for kijiji. I'm from Winnipeg and saw the same listing for our city.
I emailed the guy and offered 200 more if I could pick it up locally.
This is the response I get.

" Hi, I am from Greece and I have for sell many laptop's.All laptop's are brand new, never used, coming in sealed box with all original accessories and with 2 years international warranty provided by manufacturer.If you want buy these laptop's our company ship the laptop's at your address using a fast and safe system for doing this and acting as a third part escrow company.
Also after you get the laptop's you will confirm at this company if is good or not in order to pay me.
If the product is getting broken in the warranty period, you can go to the warrnaty offices in your country with the product and the receipt and warranty paper with you, and you will get a brand new laptop's, the broken one beeing returned to the mother company so they can use the components further.
These are my terms, you must think and get me a reply if you are decided to buy.
Thanks"

Yup, it's a scambook pro allright.. people must fall for this scam as they continually re-post something similar each month with various macbook pro versions.

SoyMac
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
Looks like bait for a robust, live-email-address Spring harvest.

EDIT:
Oh, good work, Gamalen. So it's actually the real, "Take Your Money" sting. :(
I'm still waiting for my Nigerian Oil millions from these guys.

harzack86
Apr 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
If you want buy these laptop's our company ship the laptop's at your address using a fast and safe system for doing this and acting as a third part escrow company.

Funny fact: the word "escroc" (don't pronounce the "c" at the end) in French means "scam artist" :) I always think of this when I read "escrow" :)

HowEver
Apr 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Here's the answer you get in Toronto. I asked for two.

Hi,

Yes it is available. The price for two is $1500.

Let me know

Thanks

Mark Griffin <[email protected]>

I'll let you know if he gives out an address or phone number.

Adrian.
Apr 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
For any sort of stuff like this I have a numbered gmail account that I made at a starbucks.

I figured it was. 900 dollars for that seemed a little ridiculous. Are they people in Canada or are they international?

HowEver
Apr 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Are they people in Canada or are they international?

and

I'll let you know if he gives out an address or phone number.

Adrian.
Apr 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
ahha fair enough.

HowEver
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Here we go:

Thanks for the mail!

First of all I must inform you that right now i`m out of town. I got the opportunity to open a franchise in London, England with a partner, so i had to move here for few months.

I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.

Let me know and i will send you more details.

Thanks

It's p-p-p-powerbook* all over again, except slightly more literate this time.

*If you haven't read it, you must:
The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook! (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/)

CanadaRAM
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
The next email will detail how it will be sent by DHL and you will send your money to a (fake) DHL website, then when the machine arrives, you can inspect it at the DHL depot, and if it's OK, notify them to release the funds to the seller.

Of course, there is no machine, it will never arrive, and your money is gone as soon as you send it to webshipping-dhl.co.uk

psxp
Apr 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Here we go:

It's p-p-p-powerbook* all over again, except slightly more literate this time.

*If you haven't read it, you must:
The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook! (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/)

ha ha ha!! that link was a great read.. I wonder what happened to Jeff, maybe he decided to go off the radar..

HowEver
Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I wonder if this is a post office, or some storefront. Anybody nearby?

206 Leigham Court Road
London
SW16 2RB
United Kingdom

I just moved and the phone line isn't installed yet.

Let me know
Thanks

psxp
Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
I wonder if this is a post office, or some storefront. Anybody nearby?

Here is the google map link.. residential house by the look of satellite photo

206 Leigham Court Road, London, SW16 2RB, United Kingdom - Google Maps (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=206+Leigham+Court+Road,+London,+SW16+2RB,+United +Kingdom&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=44.746135,97.558594&ie=UTF8&ll=51.42914,-0.114605&spn=0.000656,0.001489&t=h&z=19&iwloc=addr)