: Boot Camp Question: One Stripped RAID plus Third Harddrive with Boot camp Partition

allanyong
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I have a Mac pro, and my main Operating system is built on my stripped raid system. And I have installed another leopard on the original harddrive. When I am in the original harddrive's OS, Boot Camp has no problem to do the partition and to get into the windows installation step. However, the installation stops when the windows xp tries to install the devices. I have waited for two hours for this step, even though the system tells me it should only take 34 minutes. Any one has same experience? It will be highly appreciated!

Allan

screature
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have a Mac pro, and my main Operating system is built on my stripped raid system. And I have installed another leopard on the original harddrive. When I am in the original harddrive's OS, Boot Camp has no problem to do the partition and to get into the windows installation step. However, the installation stops when the windows xp tries to install the devices. I have waited for two hours for this step, even though the system tells me it should only take 34 minutes. Any one has same experience? It will be highly appreciated!

Allan

Are you trying to install Windows to the RAID or tho the single drive.

allanyong
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Single Drive. But it is not working

allanyong
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Anyone has idea?

screature
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Anyone has idea?

Hmm, are you using the single drive as the boot disk when you are trying to do the install?

allanyong
Apr 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Yes I did. that's weird part though. Coz it never go through the whole installation process

screature
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yes I did. that's weird part though. Coz it never go through the whole installation process

That is weird. I had done this type of setup previously with the beta version of boot camp under Tiger no problem. Now with Leopard you can choose a non-boot disk as your Boot Camp disk i.e to install on another disk other than where you OSX resides. That is what I have done this time around and no problems with that.

Why not try this, delete the partition you have set up on the single drive. Boot back into your RAID boot disk run Boot Camp from there and then choose your single disk as the destination for the Windows install. See if that works, worked for me minus that the disk I installed to didn't have Leopard installed on it, but that shouldn't matter. But if it still doesn't work try erasing the single drive, i.e. get rid of Leopard and then run through the procedure I just outlined again.

HJS
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
One doesn't have to delete Leopard to get rid of the Boot Camp Partition, or a fubared Windows install thereon...just use Boot Camp assistant to remove that Partition, and start over...

As for Raid issues, I doubt if it's supported (but kinda, should work), though I wouldn't advise striped raid for a boot drive in any OS, unless you have a large and very frequent back-up strategy ;)

allanyong
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
One doesn't have to delete Leopard to get rid of the Boot Camp Partition, or a fubared Windows install thereon...just use Boot Camp assistant to remove that Partition, and start over...

As for Raid issues, I doubt if it's supported (but kinda, should work), though I wouldn't advise striped raid for a boot drive in any OS, unless you have a large and very frequent back-up strategy ;)

You are right, for security wise.

I think I will re-organize my whole system after I am done with those exams.

I will try to install the Windows first on my single drive for now:p

Thank you for all of your helps.

I will let you guys know how it goes!

Cheers,
Allan

screature
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM

No I know that, what I was saying is that after he gets rid of the partition and tries to install Boot Camp and Windows again and is still experiencing problems try taking Leopard off the single drive to see if that helps. As I said I have Boot Camp installed on another drive without Leopard on it and works fine. So it may be possible that somehow it doesn't like having Leopard on that second (third actually) drive. It shouldn't matter but sometimes things don't always work the way they should.

As far as running an OS on a RAID array, I have been doing it exclusively for over six years now and have never had any problems and the performance gain is significant. And no matter if single drive or RAID you should ALWAYS be fully backed up.

allanyong
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Seems there is nothing to do with Apple though.

The solution was... I don't how do I describe it.

Anyway, I unplug all of the external equipment, Including all of the USB devices, Firewire devices. Now it went through:)

Allan